Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 wins ATV of the YEar

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 07:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

800Twin, i just voted and read the results of what the general ATV Public wants for 'atv of the year.'
it seems soooo funny that everyone is knocking the 700 saying connonball should earn the award concidering cannondale is almost tied for LAST PLACE! 40% voted the 700 the winner!
unless the vote has been FIXED, which i highly doubt, it's quite clear to me that the ATV PUBLIC HAS SPOKEN!
LONG LIVE THE 700 SPORTSMAN!!

P.S. polaris has sold 6 times MORE automatic atv's than ALL other mfgs COMBINED!
see-ya,
MT

Old 01-27-2002, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

How many years was Polaris making belt drives before anyone else did?? To get a good average you would need to how many belt drives were sold after all the companies started making belt drives.

Old 01-27-2002, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just had to respond to some of these postings. I have a 00sp500 and a 02 trail blazer. when i was a kid I owned a Suzuki rm 80 dirt bike so these quads are new to me. I bought the 500 for utility work and trail riding. I've pulled dune buggies out of mud with the winch on it or a chain. I plow and disk my garden with it. I climb any hill with ease. I plow snow with it. The power is awsome. the handling is a little soft at times but the more i ride it the better i get. The trail blazer on the other hand is just for fun. it will also climb most anything and wheely if you practice. I DON'T MISS A CLUTCH AT ALL on either bike! In fact I think their a blast to ride. I must admit I haven't rode many other quads. but i can't imagine shifting now. As for the new 700, don't think i'd get one. I'd probably go for a Scrambler 700 4x4 though.

Old 01-28-2002, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

If they ever put EFI on any of the utility models- it would/should win. They could have saved themselves the race for the biggest motor by installing EFI on their current engines and walked away with way more power. How about a 500ho with EFI? A vinson with EFI sounds nice also.

With polaris and kawasaki practically bragging about "detuning" their big motors, it makes you wonder why they started with such big motors only to detune them when they could have obtained the same torque/hp with a hopped up 500-600cc and saved some weight. I know why- Bigger is better = sales.

Old 01-28-2002, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

mtpockets, more people choose mini vans over Ferrari's for personal transportation. Does that make a Dodge Caravan a better car than a 550 Barchetta?

Old 01-28-2002, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

DaveC
If the engines are really turned down on power it should help them to live longer. Small hi hp engines are under allot more stress and need more maintenance.

Old 01-28-2002, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

You could use smaller engines with more modes to make more HP,but you lose reliabilty,smaller high HP engines work harder to make that HP,thats why a big detuned engine is better because it works less to make high HP. Theres no replacement for displacement.

Old 01-28-2002, 02:32 AM
Range Rover

Slinger, you cant be serious..........look at the rear suspension of the 650 and the ground clearance. Now look at the sportsman 700.........there ain't no doubt of what I say is true. Maybe the 650 impressed you, now go ride a 700 and be prepared to be really impressed........and dont even speak of mud any 500 HO will out mud a 650. If you dont believe me, I sure others will post the same here as I have just stated.......and obviously the 700 will out mud a 500 HO.........so...........go ride a 700 and let's hear your honest opinion...........

Old 01-28-2002, 02:34 AM
Range Rover

Slinger, just so You know.........I may live in Vegas now, but I was born and raised in Louisiana. So I know about mud.................as I am sure you do to................

Old 01-29-2002, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

vegasdude, I have to wonder where you got your information also. Don't let the ground clearance of a 650 Prairie fool you. If a Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. and a prairie 650 have the same tires and a good rider on each one that knows the machine, through the same mud hole, I'm betting the 650 will go at least as far as the Sportsman. I realize the Sportsman has more ground clearance. That isn't the whole story. From all I've read about these quads, the Prairie is as good as any in mud. I admit that I have not ridden either one in deep mud although I have ridden both, but if you look through the forum for information on this you'll see what I mean. Apparently Dirtwheels will be doing a shootout in mud with the big 4X4's so maybe we'll see then. Have you ridden with a 650 Prairie that had tires as good as the Sportsman's? Theres little doubt that the stock tires on a Sportsman are superior mudders to the stock ones on a Prairie.

Quick Reply: 700 wins ATV of the YEar