Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 wins ATV of the YEar

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet more evidence of the absurdity of naming the SP700 Quad of the Year: the Cannondale line is receiving praise from, and generating exitement amongst many non-Cannondale owners. Who's rooting for Polaris? Pretty much the few individuals who bought one and are now needing some reassurance that their money wasn't wasted.

Old 01-26-2002, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

im sure the c-dale is a good machine, but i worry about dealer support. Most c-dale dealers are used to working on moutian bikes, big difference from a EFI quad.

later
jon

Old 01-26-2002, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

TRXter

C-dale does have a great atv, and no one will argue that the brought a lot on new innovation to the sport sceen. But you have to look at the Mags thought of picking a winner. There going to look at a atv that most people on the street could just walk into a dealer, buy a atv and drive it. Yes user friendly. And for every High Performance atv sold there will be 80 utility ones sold. It's not the C-dale isn't good. it's just not popular. And when there cheapest atv (cannibal) is the same price as the most expensive ones the others make (except sp700) that's a lot of money for a one dimensional quad.

Old 01-26-2002, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

If they called it or Affordable Quad of the Year, or Mundane Quad of the Year, then I'd say you're right. Maybe even Utility Quad of the Year, although I think the Kawi is a better machine with a design that will be seen, in years to come, as a benchmark. But they went and grabbed the whole enchalada for this thing and it's just a little idiotic, considering the competition.

As far as bang for the buck, the C-dales are a little steep for most people's pocketbook even with all the bells & whisles. I sure couldn't afford one. But that's not the point. When they put the "bar none" stamp on a quad it should outclass all production machines, not just the cheap ones.

Old 01-26-2002, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I'm still sticking with my opinions of the cannondale. While I agree that it isn't for everyone, no ATV is. Out of every rider I know (over 20), only 1 of them would consider the Sportsman 700 (or any Sportsman) as their ultimate ATV. In fact this guy I know sold his SP500HO for a 400ex and say's he is worlds happier with it. My guess is that alot of people who put down sport quads as being one dimensional (racing only) have never acutally riden one. Now i'm not saying the SP500 isn't a good quad. It is, but i just don't think it should be ATV of the Year. This isn't because i'm against polaris, i'm not. They make good quad's, but they are just lacking the market segment I need, which is a true high performance. As for the coments of a sport quad falling about as aposed to a utility quad? If your talking about towing, then yes, i agree, but if your talking about recreational riding, I fail to see how this could be true! Of all the quad owners i know, the ones that ride the sport quads ride HARDER, FASTER, and FARTHER then the utility owners. Yet all the utilities are consistantly needing more work, espesially the polaris' (again, not a bash, just what I have observed). And, with the exception of mud, sport quads do better than utility quads with equal riders at most every trail situation I can think of (hills, log jumps, turns, roots, off-camber situations). Sure, they don't mud as well, but the hardcore mudding group is not any bigger than the sport quad group. My thinking is that there should be a "SPORT/HIGH-PERFORMANCE ATV of the Year", and a "UTILITY ATV of the Year", but that's just me.

Old 01-26-2002, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

I don't see why people think the Cannibal is so expensive. It costs $400 more than the raptor, and has over $400 worth of stuff that you would prolly just add to the Raptor anyways. I'm not bashing the Raptor, just bringing up a point.

Old 01-26-2002, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

The dale was new and innovative in its first year. Ie. 2001 FX400

The SP700 was voted atv of the year for 2002. While it looks like most other sportsman's, it is an all new design.

What is new about the four 2002 dales that are now on the market??? The Engine and frame are the two main innovations and were on the 2001 models. The rest is updates and stock aftermarket parts.

Awards like "ATV of the year" typically are given to all new machines.

Old 01-26-2002, 09:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i took a quick glance of the C-dale website and like what i see.
however, the dealer locator shows my nearest dealer over 2 1/2 hours away! so much for taking a quick look at one at my local dealer.LOL
-MT

Old 01-26-2002, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

I am glad the 700 won ATV of the year and I will tell you why it is AMERICAN BUILT with the economy the way it is I am glad that when I buy Polaris I am supporting those who post on this forum you Doug and every other American not directly but indirectly
God Bless this country.

Proud to own two American Built Polaris ATV's

Old 01-26-2002, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Umm, hate to tell ya buddy, but the "American" reputation Polaris has isn't exactly 100% correct. Sure, the quad may be assembled in the USA, but the parts are made in the same place as all the others.

Quick Reply: 700 wins ATV of the YEar