Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Servicing a Trail Boss

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 10:43 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to service a Trail BOss for a friend. Being a former mechanic, it seems I service everyone's stuff.

So, my questions are:

1. How much oil and what weight of oil do I need for the engine? 2. How much oil and what weight of oil do I need for the tranny?
3. Any bolts in particular I need to check?
4. Anything else need to have attention done to it?
5. Where are the zillion zerts at to grease?

Thanks in advance
Chunky

Old 01-24-2002, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chunky

I will do my best to help you since no one else responded. It has been awhile since I last service the trail boss, but here goes:

1. The engine takes approximately 1.5 - 1.9 quarts of oil if the filter is changed. Polaris recommends running the 0W40 oil in this machine. The drain plug is one the bottom of the engine. Remove the plastic skid plate to make it easier to get to. I add 1.5 quarts of oil and run it and then check it and add from there.

2. The transmission gearcase should be changed with Polaris Chaincase oil. If I remember right, it only takes about 12 oz, but I would buy it by the quart just in case. You will need a long funnel to fill it without making a mess. The drain bolt is on the belt side of the machine on the bottom of the gearcase and has a double bolt system.

3. As for bolts to check, I would check the steering stem bolt. It cannot come off, but will loosen up and cause a loose steer feel.

4. As for other things, the rear brakes should be checked as they wear really quick. Depending on what year the trail boss is, if it is a 2000 model, it will have the old plastic steering bushing and should be changed to an aftermarket one from HPD. (Post if you need more info).

5. This model doesn't have too many grease zerks. On the rear, the rear bearing carrier will have one (between the rear sprocket and the brake disc). Each swingarm will also have one right wear the front of th swingarm connects to the machine (can be a pain to get to). One the front, if you have a 2000 model, the steering stem will have one on it right near where it connects to the frame on the bottom. The top of the steering stem will have one right under the handlebars. One the steering, each strut has one on the bottom for the lower ball joint. Also, each A - arm has a zerk. Takes about 5 minutes once you know where they are.

Hope this helps.