Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question about Stage ! RCR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 01:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys and ladies too, I have a 200 scram 400 4X4 and I'd like to order a stage 1 kit from RCR with the RCR pipe, but a friend of mine told me that it requires you to cut away part of the plastic pipe guard. After making that modification, will the part of the pipe be visible between the front and rear fenders? I would like the bike to retain it's stock apearance and wouldn't want the pipe visible around the area where my leg is. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-08-2002, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

HPD pipes require trimming part of the heat shield which curls around the pipe, But is in no way visible that it has been trimmed, Unless RCR changed his pipes you dont have to trim for his but it really doesnt matter because either way you wont notice it, Mines been done and you would never know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2002, 02:37 AM
Range Rover

It's people like you that help out with real know how that save people like myself from making costly and timely mistakes. Gonna order a Stage 1 kit tommorrow! Thanks for the imput. It's been of great help. By the way, that Rick really know his 4X4's too. Talked to him today.

Old 02-08-2002, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider

Glad to help bud[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2002, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

Bayou Yes Rick knows his stuff and is one of the best i have found to deal with. I think you would be real happy with a HPD trail pipe which Rick also sells. It seems like everytime i long on to this website i find another person from LA gald to see you if you ever make it out to the Dunes email me and i will try to meet you up there also if you need help on your bike shoot me a email and i will see what i can do for you.
Also Email me before you buy your stuff i have some laying around i might be able to save you a little bit of money.

Old 02-08-2002, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

I may be wrong, but I thought that in the instructions for the pipe it says something about having to trim that piece on the newer Scramblers?

I can say that it fit fine on my '98 though. No cutting required.

Again, Like I said, don't take my word for it cause I may be wrong. Did you ask Rick?

-Josh

Old 02-08-2002, 07:39 PM
Range Rover

Just called Rick and he's gonna give me a call back in regards to which area of the plastic has to be cut. Hopefully it won't be the outer visible part. Thanks again everyone.

Old 02-08-2002, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

I tried to call you and left a message on your machine . Call me back if you wish . I will be in the shop till way past midnight.

The pipe guard does need to be cut , but you will never see it from the outside. A jigsaw works great to do this.

When Polaris went to concentic drive they used the same pipe guard because it still clears their factory exhaust. If you look under the rear of the machine you can see how the pipe guard is notched to clear the frame, but it is not really near it. The reason is they continued to use this piece on the newer models even though it was originally designed for the older machines .

Old 02-08-2002, 09:51 PM
Range Rover

Just got off the phone with Rick and he clarified everything for me. Thanks again Rick and to everyone who helped out by posting. (still can't get over this guy's service...just unbelievable) I'm not new to ATV's(been too busy with the job for the past years to have time for it), I've been mainly riding dirt bikes when and if I did have a chance to ride. But now I have more time to ride and maintain a ATV and it's in my blood, so who knows where it will take me. And to all of you who didn't reply, rest assured it won't be my last question and thanks for your help too in advance. Well tomorrow afternoon I'm gonna install the Stage 1 package and Sunday will be an adventure! Ya'll have a nice weekend too.

Old 02-09-2002, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

I have a HPD trail pipe, on a 2001 Scrambler 400, and I've had it in there for about two months, and I never trimmed anything off the pipe guard. Should I? I don't think it's ever melted, and I get it pretty hot. If I need to trim it, can someone please tell me how much to trim, or e-mail or fax me a picture of a trimmed one. Thanks!