Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailblazer vs Honda 250ex

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my wifes bike, should I buy a Honda 250ex instead of the Polaris Trailblazer? I want something easy to ride, easy to maintain that will be reliable. I want something that she will enjoy. She will probably not be jumping or hillclimbing. Mostly trail riding and some duneing in Glamis. I love my Honda 400 EX but the wife does not want do deal with a clutch.

Old 02-23-2002, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well... you know the 250 doesn't have a clutch but you still have to shift so I wouldn't get it unless she was confident with her shifting ability.......Anyway, I just wanted to ask if that Trail blazer was a belt? I think it is, I have rode a trail boss alot and I really hate the transmission. It seems like the belt will come loose sometimes and you have to rev it higher and higher to get it to take off. Honda sure is dependable and I would be a little weary of getting a belt.

Old 02-23-2002, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

This is just my opinion but I don't care for the trail blazer. It's very heavy and not very powerful. I think she would be able to influence the quad with body english a lot easier if it was lighter. If she even starts doing small jumps the 250ex can handle around 5 feet of air but the trail blazer I rode bottomed out on what didn't even feel like 1 foot of air. I think Polaris makes some good machines I just don't think the trail blazer is one them IMHO.

Old 02-23-2002, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Kevin,

You could go with the 250EX, but imagine when your wife tries to go up a dune or hill and runs out of steam in the gear she is in. What happens then? The Trailblazer will either claw it's way to the top of the hill/dune, or dig itself in. The Honda will probably start rolling backwards. Granted, you said she wouldn't be doing much hill climbing, but what if she tries to follow you? The automatic transmission is by far the better system for beginners. Even if she has to learn to shift she'll get tired of it soon, and not want to go out with you. Women, more specifically non mechanical ones, tend to like the "gas it and go" quads.

hondagrant,

Manufactures have been using belt drives in snowmobiles for years. Please, in your infinite wisdom and expertise, tell me what is wrong with a belt drive on a quad? I could speak from experience after OWNING three of them (one for me, one for the fiance and one for the kids) none of which have had belt problems. But hey, you've ridden a Trailboss! Who am I to disagree with you and your VAST experience?

DirtDiggler, (nice handle by the way)

Yes the Trailblazer is heavier (by 60 lbs), but it is powerful enough for it's size to lay the "smackdown" on the lighter 250EX. The suspension also depends on her size. I weigh 250 and the TB hauls me around very plushly. A novice will be much better off with a soft suspension as it tends to tire them out less than the "sporty" suspension found on the other machines. A less tiring quad will allow them to ride longer. I can also assure you, that a Trailblazer can handle 5 feet of air with a 120 lb female rider on board. I've seen it done.

Old 02-23-2002, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Ain't no way no Trailblazer is laying any type of smack down on a 250 ex the TB is what 460 pounds dry and tops out at 48 mph and the 250 is 350 pounds dry and tops out at just over 51 mph. I've seen both quads and although I admit I haven't seen a TB climb I will say the 250ex climbs like a champ. Dunes are different being from upstate NY I have never ridden in sand but I do know when the magazines did a shoot out with these machines and a couple others they didn't have anything good to say about the TB other than it's easy to ride. I don't think shifting the 250 is even remotely difficult SparkyEX's wife has no problem with it at all and she's not wild on it in the least.

P.S. Thanx for complimenting my handle! All this crap I post is just my opinion so hey take it with a grain of salt no anger intended.

Old 02-23-2002, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Mike for the advice. After discussing it with the wife, she prefers not to have to shift at all. After all, its going to be her bike and I want her to enjoy it. I think the TB will be the perfect bike for her as a beginner. Once she gets a few hours under her belt and if she really likes to ride then maybe we can trade up for something different.

Ive seen the TB's keep up with bigger and more powerful quads even in the big dunes. They have had smaller riders and paddles but they keep up just fine.

Old 02-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with teh Trailblazer for her.

Old 02-23-2002, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

IMHO...find a dealer that will let her ride both for some distance. let her decide which she would rather have. Just a logical approach.

Old 02-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

and another thing...treasure the fact that your wife WILL go with you riding and accomodate her wishes the best you can! My wife wont even look at my bike!

Old 02-24-2002, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with scramblershadow, You are a very lucky man, Your wife still enjoys the same things you do. My wife won't have anything to do with mine either. But, god bless her she don't care that I am sellin it to get a 400ex! gotta love her for that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I an sure she will be fine on the TB, pipe it and put in a clutch kit and she will have a ball.

Quick Reply: Trailblazer vs Honda 250ex