Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What happened to the sport quad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

washington400-
you are correct there is no comparison the 400EX and the scrambler are two completly different machines. I like the Scrambler for what it is, but it does not fit my wants. I thought a lot about the two and road both machines before I made up my mind that the scrambler was out of the picture. However, if polaris were to get the lead out of their **** (and their quads) I would consider the new sport. I like my Polaris for what it is and have had zero problems with it. It just no longer fits my needs or wants.

By the way, where is woodland? I have heard of it but cant remember where it is.

Old 03-03-2002, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soggy:

Get the 400EX. You'll love it.

Old 03-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Going to look at a used one today, Just waiting for the buyer of my Magnum to come buy with the money[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The Z sounds pretty intreging(sp) though. but spring is upon us in the pacificnorthwest and I wanna ride! So if the guy comes by today with the cash for my quad I might be playin hookie from work again on monday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I took thursday off as a "mental health" day too!

Old 03-03-2002, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Quadfather-
I see you post in the exriders forum too, I have been lurking in there a lot lately, haven't joined yet but that is a really great forum. No bashing and generally good fun.

Old 03-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it's a very enjoying, informative site. No bashing whatsoever. Plus, it loads very fast.

Come to think of it, it's the exact opposite of this forum.

Go to my site and check out my EX. It's an incredible quad.

Old 03-03-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

I havent heard anything about it for awhile, maybe it will be out soon.

Old 03-05-2002, 07:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey Campy, I already have a room reserved. I could be wrong, but the lens cap will be flying off if something surfaces.

Ken

Old 03-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

I too saw the picture they had in ATV Sport. From what I can tell, it uses Maier Plastic, a Polaris Scrambler seat and has a Polaris accessory speedometer on the handle bars. It looks pretty cobbled together, so lets hope it was an early prototype. The engine has the YZF look, but is a whole lot bigger. You're talking a twin cam motor, with four valves minimum, manual clutch, manual shift transmission. The suspension travel looks plenty long and appears to have some sort of triple rate shocks on the front end. With the exception of the seat and speedometer, it looks like a completely new machine from the ground up. Now here's hoping that this isn't someone's project quad.

Old 03-05-2002, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure that polaris is just using this time to perfect a way to make add 50 to a hundred pounds to the new sport quad to it fits right in with the rest of the polaris line. I've also heard rumors in the manufactoring industry that they are seeking out a supplier that could produce even weaker tie rod ends than they have on the scramblers now. they are also having a major engineering dilema as they are have no idea where to put the single lever braking lever as there is now a manual clutch lever there.

Old 03-06-2002, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

<< I've also heard rumors in the manufactoring industry that they are seeking out a supplier that could produce even weaker tie rod ends than they have on the scramblers now. >>

LOL! I also heard that another thing holding up production was a shortage of plastic lower steering stem bushings for this new quad. Maybe I will mail the two that are laying on my workbench back to them and they can reuse them. This way, the machines will come from the factory with the standard 1 inch of steering play that we have all come to know as Polaris standard. Ken, since you will be seeing the Polaris folks in person, perhaps you could deliver them in person?

In all honesty, I would like to see Polaris bring out a true sport machine, but I certainly wouldn't want to be the first to own one. Polaris definitely has a track record of bringing out new machines with some bugs in them. They tend to get them fixed in subsequent years, but the first year buyers are screwed.

Quick Reply: What happened to the sport quad?