Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How many carry a gun while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dcroc is right, here in Oklahoma there are alot of meth labs(not proud of it)and where we ride there are alot of cabins on about 10,000 acres. We have not interupted anyboby while making the junk, but there are acrticles left over after they leave, so yes they are out there. Where we deer hunt, they ruined our cabin(wonder they didnt burn it down). In a day and age where people shoot people in a church, what makes you think it wont happen out in the woods?

Old 03-11-2002, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more with Rick Ritter on this one, I carry my .22 auto pistol for opportunity shots at corn thieving ground squirrels, or other targets of opportunity. Sometimes I take my contender in the hills for coyotes, though. I would hope to never have to be in a 'him or me' situation, and if I was, I hope I would be wearing a bulletproof vest.

Old 03-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Rick,

Yes, it is a crazy world out there. Who would have thought that a bunch of crazy Arabs would crash several planes into prominent buildings in the U.S. six months ago? I hate to say this, but the people with whom I work (convicts) force me to carry a gun 24/7. You see I don't make a lot of friends at work among the inmates, and some of them down right dislike me. Also with hoodlums moving further and further out into the "sticks" to avoid being caught by law enforcement, a Glock .40 cal gives me some added piece of mind.

ScramSlam,

What's to say that who ever wants your quad doesn't want any witnesses? What if your wife or significant other is attractive and they decide to take her for a ride? Life is worth protecting, even if your quad isn't. If someone points a gun at you, you have just cause to use deadly force on them to protect your life or the life of others from serious bodily harm or death. It is this way in just about every jurisdiction in the country, including the People's Republics of Massachusets, New Jersey and Kalifornia.

Old 03-11-2002, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

The thought of carrying a gun for protection while riding has never entered my mind. I own guns and belong to the local shooting range but when I ride I'm just out to have a good time. If I felt I had to carry while trail riding I would probably feel the need to carry at all times. I'm guessing some of you carry at all times and not just on the trail, and that's ok if you feel the need to do that. I think people that are responsible enough to get a permit to carry are not going to be careless.
I just find it scary to think everyone I might encounter out in the woods may have a gun cause I've met some not so bright people while out riding.
Hope we don't see road rage start cropping up on the atv trails someday.

Old 03-11-2002, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to be prepared for anything(almost). When I ride I carry the kitchen sink with me in a Tamarack box. Matches, compressor, wrenches, cell phone, xtra oil, spark plug, saw, gun, food, water......etc. I look at a gun as a tool if I need it. I am not packing it to make someones day, but to get home safely. If the truck breaks down on the way back home at 9:00 pm, I will have tools to help(one being a gun if I need it). Here in Oklahoma, I have not met one guy or gal who has a permit(to carry a gun) who has the "I'm packin' heat so watch out" attitude.

Old 03-11-2002, 01:01 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Sig Sauer P226 full nickel, night sights, 18 rnd clip & carry permit especially when w/ the wife & kids. Anyway, I was curious how a pistol can be carried like say in Ohio or WV if your from PA? Forget about reciprocating carring permit laws since Ohio doesn't have a carry permit law. Is it true you can carry it exposed or maybe unloaded w/ a full clip ready to go? I wouldn't do it unless I knew for sure but just wondered if anyone knew.
Thanks
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

Old 03-11-2002, 02:31 PM
Range Rover

I have a good friend in law enforcement and he CLAIMS that you can carry in Ohio as long as it's NOT concealed. He also says to be prepared for a lot of SH-- if they see you. He has been in law enforcement for 25 years, so he should know. But than again, sometimes I'm not sure if he's all there. I don't really worry about it though. If I feel I need it, I take it. SIG 229.

Old 03-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Absolutly a must to carry my bozuka and AK47 incase I see Bin laden

Old 03-11-2002, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

Jim

You are right that in Ohio, we do not have a carry law or reprocity. If you have a license in your home state, it means nothing in Ohio. As for carrying in the open, that is a little fuzzy. If you are hunting, you can carry a loaded pistol (many do for deer and raccoon), but not on the quad and you have to be able to prove you are hunting. I am not sure if you can get away with carrying in the open on the quad with it loaded or unloaded. Like said before, prepare to get harrassed about it. They will most likely arrest you and you will have to prove the law in court before getting your gun back and out of the charge. Not worth it in my book. The really fuzzy part comes because a court has recently ruled that Ohio's law against carrying a concealed weapon violates the Ohio Constitution. So now it would come down to the individual court to decide your fate. Again, good luck. As for my opinion, I have never carried because the risk of getting caught far outweighs the need for it. We usually ride with a large group and the trails have enough people on them that there is no need for one.

Old 03-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer

RickRitter,

No, I hate to dissapoint you, it's not a joke. We have nice folks here in Utah (environmentalists) that like to do things like fill a piece of plywood full of nails and put it points up in a trail covered with dirt. Or how about wire across trails?

Of course you'll never hear about these publicly, but it happens. So you tell me, do you really know who you will run into in the field?

ER

Quick Reply: How many carry a gun while riding?