Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brake noise question.500 Sportsman.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 06:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind boys, the roter on the 96 floats, this proved to be a very poor design. I think in 99 they went to the floating caliper like most cars / trucks run. I fixed mind by installing a thick o-ring from any fuel injector (I used ones from a dodge caraven) on the inside and outside of every other roater stud. the roater can still flex to allow the float, you just need to look at the ajustment more often to keep the tolorence correct. Works great.

Old 03-24-2002, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dc, My uncle and I go about every week to around Kinta and Lequire. It is about an hour south of Muskogee. There are over 13,000 acres of trails in the mountains. Excellent riding. This past Friday, we had to make our own trail down a mountain because the one we were on ended and we didnt want to go back up it. We carry a chainsaw and handsaws. I am still sore from all the work.

Old 03-26-2002, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer

Seacow, is the floating rotor the reason for the noise? What I am trying to ask is do all models with the floating rotor make that noise or is something worn?

Old 03-26-2002, 01:44 PM
Range Rover

It's my opinion that they all can make noise(floating type)this is one of reasone Polaris updated the rear system. My advice to you is that if your pads are in good shape and the roater has not been damaged, the noise is more of a nucence and a cause for slight premature pad wear that anything. Keep in mind when making ajustments to the rear caliper (fixed) that the roater can be moved in and out on the tappered shaft to acomadate any mods you may have done or choose to do, such as the o-ring trick I talked about in the preveious thread.
(Keep the go button pinned and you won't hear the noise)

Old 03-26-2002, 02:38 PM
Range Rover

remove the rear brake pads completely then roll the bike around. That will at least pinpoint whether it's the actual brakes!

Old 03-26-2002, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

Well thanks to your help guys I got my answer, got a friend to pull it backwards while I reached in and got a couple fingers on the rotor and sure enough when it made the noise it was the rotor chattering from side to side, very slight movement but lots of noise. Thanks again guys.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2002, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

great advice, I too have the same break noise problem with my 97 sportsman, was going to try softer pads. I will also try this.
If i understand correctly, you installed O rings on the splined shaft on either side of the floating disc? or do I have this all screwed up.

Old 03-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the exact same problem with my 97 sportman, chalk it up to a poor design, I'm going to try the O ring fix suggested in this string.

Old 03-27-2002, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks seacow from several of us glad there are guys out there that are still willing to help.

Old 03-31-2002, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

Calgary, put the o-rings on every other roter stud, the ones that the roter floats back and forth on. (the o-rings are the little fat "cheerio" looking units)

Quick Reply: Brake noise question.500 Sportsman.