Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brake noise question.500 Sportsman.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer installed new brakes on my 96 500 Sportsman some time back and I keep getting a squaling sound from them when backing up or if I slightly hit the brakes going forward, what is causing this chatter? The noise is also preasent if I just roll the machine backwards by hand even with the engine shut off. Any ideas?

Old 03-12-2002, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

Did you break in the new pads? Get up to 30 mph and slowly apply the brakes and come to a complete stop. Do this about 10 tens or so. Avoid heavy braking for the first couple of hours of riding.

If you broke in the pads properly and you still have squealing, you could check a number of things. Are the rotors in decent shape? Ridges, grooves, etc. will make new pads squeal in short time. Did the shop adjust the pad separation after installation. There are Allen set screws on the calipers to adjust pad separation upon initial installation. You turn the adjust screw in until the outboard pad touches the brake rotor and then turn it back out 1/2 turn.

Try removing the brake pads and spraying some brake stop squeal on the back of the pads. This spray helps absorb some of vibration that causes the squealing.

SurferSam

Old 03-12-2002, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

Appreciate it Surfer sam I didn't have any idea, but would it cause noise if the brakes arn't engaged? You can just pull it backwards by hand without the engine running and it still squalls.

Old 03-12-2002, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

If the brake pads are adjusted too far in, they will rub the rotors without the hand brake lever or foot brake pedal engaged. Roll the quad in neutral and hit the foot brake pedal. If it is the rear brake, the squeal will change pitch, disappear, or do something. To adjust the rear brake pads, turn the Allen set adjust screw (located on the end of the rear brake caliper piston) clockwise until the brake pads touch both sides of the rotor. Then back it off 1/2 turn. You may have to adjust again a time or two after riding a little bit. The front brake calipers have an Allen set adjust screw, too. The screw is located on the top of the brake caliper to the inside. It is adjusted the same as the back.

Go to partsland.com and look at the exploded diagrams for better visualization.

Good Luck
SurferSam

Old 03-12-2002, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dcroc what dealer do you use?

Old 03-13-2002, 02:06 AM
Trailblazer

Stewart Martin in Olkmulgee, seems like a good place to go, I bought the Sportsman there.

Old 03-13-2002, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do they have a GOOD mech. there? I usaully go to Wagoner, but kinda looking for anonther one.

Trending Topics

Old 03-13-2002, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

Well he seems to be good, all I have had go wrong with mine is the brakes, they are also a Kobota tractor and mower dealer, all the Polaris hands around here go there rather than put up with the hassel of dealers in Muskogee and Tulsa that carry all different types of machines, Stewart Martin only carries Polaris, and of course Kobota. Thier phone no. is 918-756-3560, it's a local call from Tulsa. Has the dealer in Wagoner have a lot of accesserys?

Old 03-15-2002, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

Okiedude did you get my post about Stewert Martin in Okmulgee?

Old 03-22-2002, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

Still having problems, tried backing out the allen screw all it did was loose the rear brake. Help!

Quick Reply: Brake noise question.500 Sportsman.