Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Some questions for any Polaris Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Dirt Bike right now but I want to sell it for an ATV, I am looking at the Scrambler 500 4x4 and some other choices, I am not saying that Polaris doesn't make a good quad but my Grandpa has a 1997 Polaris Sportsman 500 and that thing is always breakin down, I don't know if this was because the guy before him didn't take care of it or what, It never seemed to have any Engine problems that I can remember but I would have it in gear and the nuetral light would be ON, I would hardly go into gear you had to kick the lever to get it in gear and then pull like hell to get it in reverse, I was riding it one time down this dirt road and I heard something draging on the ground so I got off and looked and the shaft that gives power to the left rear tire had broke(Not into but where the Universal joint was, It might have had a CV joint I don't know, THe thing could pull about anything and had plenty of power and I LOVED driving it, I think Polaris makes some Great quads but I am 16 and I want to buy something that is going to be RELIABLE and something that I can COUNT ON to get me home each time, My uncle had a 1992 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 and when I got on that thing I didn't think of it breaking or anything, I think that the Scrambler 500 4x4 would be the perfect quad for me, I want something with 4x4 for the mud but 2x4 for doing powerslides and everything, Did my grandpa just get someone else's lemon of a quad or were they all like that in 97? If they were all like that have they improved the products now in 2002? Also my Grandpa's SP500 got like 25 miles to A TANK of gas or thats what he said anyways, What the fuel milage like on the Scrambler 500 4x4? How much power will it have compared to my XR250R Dirt bike,The XR is also a 4-Stroke. I have heard that you have to GREASE ZURKS,What are ZURKS? Sorry but I don't know much about Polaris, If I think of anymore questions I will put them in a reply, If all the Polaris's were like my grandpa's i don't think people would be buying them like they are, Thanks Matt,Oh and when the Scrambler 500 4x4 is in 4x4 mode is it TRUE 4 WHEEL DRIVE? Also how does the 500 4x4 wheelie while in 2x4 mode?How does the 500 4x4 do in mud and water up close to the bottom of the seat? I will be riding trails and fast fields, How is the handling? How does the belt do when you get in water and mud and does it slip easy? Can the belt just break? I can't have the belt breaking and leaving me no way home, Also how reliable is the Automatic transmisson and have there been any reports of any problems with them tearing up? Sorry for the long post but want to get it all. I also ride pretty much EVERYDAY After school and before work. What Mantinence is required and how often is it required to keep the Scrambler in great working order and realiablity? Thanks again Matt

Old 03-16-2002, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

If you want something that you can really count on, then buy a Honda. If you want something fun then buy anything else. Truly most ATV's will be fairly reliable and even moreso depending on the owner. I do not think you can go wrong if you like Polaris. I personally chose a Kawasaki because of the speed and sportiness of the Prairie 650. But its all personal preference. I do think Polaris has the best all around line out today and I would certainly consider those too.

Daryn

Old 03-16-2002, 11:43 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

The machine you are looking at is a nice machine. I have owned two Polaris machine and they have been trouble-free (Trail Boss 250 and Sportsman500). The independant suspension and ground clearance make it an INCREDIBLE off-road machine. It is NOT good at sports riding such as jumping and motocross style riding. The Scrambler is sporty but you sacrifice ground clearance and shaft drive which the Sportsman has. I have ridden one and they are quite fast and the fatest four wheel drive ATV I have seen.

As far as depenability, I can say Polaris is as good as the rest from what I have seen in the last six year of ATVing. Honda makes great machines as do most all other manufactures. The older Polaris machines suffered some what but thenewer machines are top-notch from many improvements over the years. I have found by watching several friends who have owed Kawis, Hondas, Suzukis etc. that they hold up as long as you take care of them. I am very good about maintaing my machines and that may be why I have never had problems.

Ride all machines and try to ride a friend's machine so you can ride the machine in the environment in which you plan to ride. I ride in muddy trails with deep water crossings and the Sportsman is the best at what I do. There are alot of machines so look closely at which machine best suits your riding.

Things I have seen hold up better than others are the following:

1. Disc brakes are better than drum
2. Independant sspension offers more ground clearance and gives a smoother ride
3. Water cooled engines are better than air cooled
4. Shaft drive is easier to maintain than chain
5. Oversized tires tear up brakes and suspension components
6. Greasable supension components last longer than sealed non-greaseable components

We own five Sportsman 500s as a family and they have been very good machines (1 2002, 2 2001s, 1 2000). The 2001s and newer are HOs (same engine as the Scrambler) and are Much faster than the non-HO.

Also remember a good dealer makes all the difference in the world. My Polaris dealer is 1st class.

Old 03-16-2002, 11:48 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

You will need to grease the Scramber twice a year unless ridden in water(grease after riding in deep water) and keep the chain tight and air filter clean. Oil changes are also required but easy to do. Not hard to maintain.

The Scrambler is a MUCH sportier machine than the Sportsman but not as good off road.

Old 03-16-2002, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Are you buying new or used?

I bought my Scram when I was 14 and now I'm 16. It hasn't really had many problems, just take care of it and lube it after every ride(grease zerks). All you need is a good grease gun and you are all set. The Scrambler is fun and fast for a 4x4. You will not regret getting one unless you like to hit the HUGE jumps. I would like to answer all of your questions, but there are alot! Test ride on. There is no way in H*LL that a belt will ever break.

I'll be straight up and tell you, you are too worried about it. I was the same way when I was looking at the Scram. You will love it. It does good in the water, but if you hit the water going really fast, some water might make it into the belt housing and cause the belt to slip. Nothing major, just let idle for about 2 min and the water should dry up, unless of course you sink the d*mn thing.

Old 03-17-2002, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah I guess I am just to worried about it, The only decision I need to make now is weather or not I can deal with the Automatic Tranny, I love to shift,I think it makes it more fun but maybe I can get over it, I will hopefully be buying new, I have a 1991 Honda XR250R Dirt Bike and I have had it for about 8 months now and I think I would now I would REALLY APPRECIATE SOMETHING NEW, Thanks again everyone

Old 03-17-2002, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

I thought that I'd miss shifting too. I loved to shift. Well, I purchased my Scrambler, and told myself that I'd deal with it somehow if I missed it. I'll tell you this -- I don't think I've ever ONCE missed having to shift, especially on a long ride. I didn't even miss downshifting to help the machine to slow down. (Front and rear disc brakes have some good stopping power). I don't think you'd regret purchasing a Scrambler unless you REALLY REALLY like to get yourself into DEEP DEEP mud (no independent rear for getting over ruts). But hey, ride them, and see what you like!

Old 03-17-2002, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Being someone who has been in this sport of 3 and 4 wheeling since 1983 and someone that works/sells ATVs,I can honestly tell you that Polaris ATVs are the least reliable ATVs on the planet today.They are also the most fun to ride to me.They are heavier than the competition,and generally have more features than the competition.Features mean NOTHING when the ATV is in the shop for repairs while your buddies are riding!

I had a 99 500cc Sportsman,and now a 00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4,BOTH ATVs have given me ALOT of problems,they are allways in the dealership for something being worn out prematurely or something is defective.Leaking front hubs,steering stem bushings are junk,tie rod ends are junk,4x4 front hubs are a constant pain in the a$$.Speedometer and speed sensor went on the blink.My quad would be at Idle and the quads speedo would register 45mph!Every drivshaft had excessive play in them,requiring replacement.Both primary and secondary clutches worn out on both ATVs.The list goes ON and ON,but I'll stop here.

Nobody takes better care of their ATVs than ME,PERIOD!So its not a customer neglect issue here.I also have several friends that ride Polaris and have more problems than the competition.

Polaris has made a stride in the last few yrs to improve their product lines reliability issues,but after you've been burnt twice,you should not go back for thirds,and I wont!

Its your call!Good Luck on whichever quad you pick!

Bill

Old 03-17-2002, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

When I bought my Sport, I thought I would miss shifting. Well, I did. I also got tired of it excessive weight, and it's more than terrible handling. Although my Sport never gave me a single problem in the three years that I owned it, I decided to get rid of it. After I got rid of it, I bought a 400EX. The difference is not even describable. I am a happy ATVer again.

Polaris makes a decent quad, but I think if you took a poll on everyone that owned one, you would find more unhappy owners than those that felt that they got their moneys worth.

Old 03-18-2002, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

2 of my good friends that i race with have scramblers. One has the 400 and the other has the 500, and not once have i heard of them breaking down or had any complaints. I own a 250 trailblazer, which is the same bike just a different engine, and the only problem i had was with the breather tube cracking but give me a break its a 3 year old bike. I also loved to shift and hated the fully automatic till a acutally took my girlfriends for a ride one day. I've gotta tell ya when yer screamin through the woods trying to avoid trees and rocks, and the other hazzards that come with XC racing, theres nothin better than the automatic it lets you focus 100 percent on the trail and is just so easy to ride theres soo much less to worry about (downshifting and upshifting at the precise time not too mention when ya get in the deep muddy sh*t) but i hated polaris fourwheelers and well now i own one and love it to death. and never once have i got my 2 wheel drive stuck and of course the 4x4's go even easier.

Quick Reply: Some questions for any Polaris Owner