Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 CV Boot

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate the responses. I guess I'll give it a yank and see what happens. Probably won't try til friday but I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks again.

Steve

Old 04-17-2002, 02:56 AM
Range Rover

Recently changed out a boot. Un-bolt the brake calipers after removing the wheel. Do not let the calipers hang by the brake line, use something to tie it up.Remove the a-arm from the bottom of the strut, do not let the strut go un-supported otherwise the knuckle may dislocate and do damage. With the hub in hand pull outwards sharply, don't be afraid to give it agood yank. In order to remove the splined drive shaft you need to compress the compression ring at the end of the drive shaft and the only way to do this is to abruptly pull on it to have the momentum enough to compress the spring and seperate the shaft from the CV joint. Clean out all debris and repack the CV joint with the supplied grease that comes with the boot,don't use any other grease other than what is supplied with the boot. Use all of the grease no more, no less.Install the new boot and the clamps before assembeling back together.If the clamps open up you can put them on after, if they don't open up you need to put them on before putting everything back together.Seems petty but I made this mistake and had to take it apart twice. Polaris recommends installing a new compression ring each time it's apart. Put back together in reverse order, The hardest part will be lining up the splines for reinsertion of the drive shaft,take you're time and get it rite the first time. When lined up hit the outside hub with a rubber mallet to reengage the drive shaft.Becareful not to hit to hard you may crack the plastic cap. Send me a pm if you need further info.

Old 04-17-2002, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks!!

Steve