Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ideas on how to prevent quad theft

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are headed down to Gatlinburg this weekend and are staying in a Chalet. The problem is , we want to take our quads and ride on some trails down there. If we take the quads with us, we will have trouble when we leave them at the Chalet and go into town. Should we chain them up some way? Where can you get a super heavy duty chain? Any other ideas?

Old 04-23-2002, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rockey

You know I have mixed emotions on theft protection. I am sure you can go to you local hardware and get a good heavy chain and lock. My feelings are that this will only stop the HONEST THEIF. If they want them, they will get them. Chains and locks can be cut. Hopefully you can pull the keys and ask someone to keep an eye on them. When we go to Silver Lake, we leave everything around the trailer and go. There are so many people around, Usually someone working to get something fixed, We ask them to just keep an eye on our stuff. SO FAR WE HAVE BEEN LUCKY.

Old 04-23-2002, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

I think cables are harder to cut then chains.
Also wrap it through the trailer wheels.

Old 04-23-2002, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was concerned about theft when I first bought my 2 new Sportsman ATV's in June 2000. I went to a locksmith store in Toronto Ontario and bought a heavy duty latch ($55 Canadian) and lock ($65 Canadian)for the door on my garage.

I also purchased a special chain that can only be cut by a power grinder (which a thief would have to bring with them). The power is off in my garage when I am not at my place of vacationing. Also, there is another heavy duty lock that locks the chain ends together after I have threaded the chain through the frame parts of both ATV's that I back up to each other. The chain cost me $17 per foot which although is expensive (I bought 12 feet of it), is the best I could get for the security I wanted.

Now, I have made it very difficult for someone to steal them. The thieves would have to make a lot of noise trying to steal them and in doing so would attract some attention from others as well as take a long time to steal.

So, if someone does steal them, at least I know I did all that I reasonable could to make it very hard to do.

2000 Sportsman 500
2000 Sportsman 335

Old 04-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Get insurance on it.

Old 04-23-2002, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

You can put a lock through the rear brake caliper.That will slow them down a little.

Old 04-23-2002, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

A good deer rifle works to. Last week(0330) my car alarm went off and I ran outside with my M1 garand in my hand. Imagine my shock when I saw 2 dudes wearing ski masks trying to get in my car.I blasted a round and they took off on foot.While walking around the car looking for damamge I saw that they had already broken in the garage and had pushed the 4 wheeler outside. I consider myself lucky,nobody got hurt and nothing damaged or stolen.And to top it all of the darn dog did not even bark!! My feelings would be to insure it. After all if some lame a$$ wants to take what he was to lazy to earn,he will do it.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Biggin, did you find any wet spots where they were? LOL

I recommend a chain, the non-sawable kind, and good locks. Ideally, you will thread them thru either the wheels or frame member of your ATV, then thru the spokes of your trailer. Put a hitch lock on your trailer, as well.
I know this sound stupid, but if you take the wheels off your ATV, and take them to town, it makes them somewhat theft proof. No one I know of that does that had their wheeler stolen yet.
Remember, most thieves are lazy, otherwise they would work & earn their own wheeler. Just make it as tough as you can.

Farmr

Old 04-24-2002, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

No farmr123,no wet spots. But what kinda irks me on his whole situation was that a couple nieghbors have organized a crime watch. I think the are a bunch of busy bodies who snoop around at thier convinience.One night around 1100 I could not sleep so I went the garage to tinker with broken down sport.It had died while riding earlier in the day. After some troubleshooting,I figured that the spark plug was dead so I replaced it and cranked it for a few seconds.Well to my dis pleasure I got a housecall from the lawman,said some nieghbors had complained of suspicious noises coming from my house. I guess the BS crime watch is over when ever they feel like it.I think that the "crimewatch" around here is a psuedonym for "make sure no fourwheelers ride around". If I crank up the quad and do not put it in the pick up asap they call me and complain about the "awful racket". One of these busybodies has a tricked out harley thats loud as hell,but no complaints. I think non atvers automatically get defensive when they even hear a 4 wheeler!

Old 04-24-2002, 10:34 AM
Range Rover

Try using Kryptonite braided steel cable, it's pretty inexpensive and they are sold at Home Depot or Lowe's. Don't skimp on the lock either, hardened steel trailor locks are good and only purchase a lock big enough to do the job. Big locks offer lots of area to cut or grind. Back trailor or vehicle up to the side of a building where they can't unload the vehicles or drop the ramps. Weld or install hardened U-bolt into floor boards or structural member of trailor and fasten the bikes to it.The more it looks like you have done to prevent theft the less likely they will mess with it. At night park in areas with lots of lights or near the front desk of the hotel or motel you are staying at. Theft proof the truck also They may decide that the whole damn package is worth steeling. Disconnect the ignition wire when the vehicle is unattended and any visual devices help to deter theft "The Club" or something like it, And always call the insurance company before leaving to make sure coverage is active. Sounds a little excessive but it maybe the one thing that ensures you have something to ride when you get to Gatlinburg.

Quick Reply: Ideas on how to prevent quad theft