Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

mixing fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick from RCR advised using 93octane with the work I've had done.
(.20 over with wiesco piston and RCR head work with top end pipe and red clutch spring)
Just curious would there be any advantages or disadvantages to mixing 93
and 110 for a 102 octane fuel?
(not for everyday riding, but for a planned day of hard riding)

Old 05-01-2002, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

The higher the octane the cleaner and HOTTER the fuel burns. I just run 93 and have had no engine problems. Watchout running to high of an octane level,you could burn thru the piston!

Old 05-01-2002, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

Bigbecker, Octane, by definition, is the resistance to burn or detonation. The higher the rating, the slower the burn when ignited during the compression burn cycle of the piston. The higher octane allows for better control of burning for high compression engines. So you want to match the correct octane rating of the gasoline to the engine design to ensure complete burning of the gasoline by the engine. About what Biggin said, I've never heard of someone burning a hole in the piston because they ran to high of an octane but, I do know a lot of people that have burned up pistons and completely blown the engine when not running a high enough octane. When you run the engine lean you end up with premature ignition of the gasoline due to the intense heat in the engine cylinder creating "engine knock." When this happens you should change to the higher octane/slower burning gasoline to resist the premature burn, thus minimizing the knocking problem. Octane is not a measure of power but of the fuels’ resistance to ignition from heat. A higher-octane fuel also, under identical combustion chamber conditions, will burn slower. If your engine has high compression then you should start thinking about running a higher octane fuel and remember that you don't have to run race fuels unless you have an engine set up for that type of fuel. You can run 110 octane but it doesn't mean you get any benefit performance wise. The company that sells the gas will be the only one to benefit from your $4.00 a gallon. So it's up to you if you want to run high octane fuel and mixing it shouldn't be so bad on the pocket book, especially if it's only for hotter days when you're running it hard. Which Racing Fuel Should You Use?

Old 05-02-2002, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

M249saw,just passing along what my polaris mechanic told me.I had him inspect the clutch kit i had installed, and he inquired about the fuel smell.It was my old mans 110 he uses for his GTO.Anyway the mechanic gave me a stern warning on using anything but 87-93 fuel.

I was the gunner on my team. 230th MP Co.in Kaiserslaughtern GE. I cleaned alot of M249's and M4's and M9's and MK-19's.You Army,or a Marine? Nevada,hmmm, maybe even an airman. I had seen few SP's with the saw.

Old 05-02-2002, 01:58 AM
Trailblazer

Biggin, Im pretty sure you wouldn't burn a hole in the piston running race fuel. I ran 104-110 octane in my 87 Buick GN at the track and I was pushing 19lbs of boost on stock pistons. Bigbecker has a Wiesco piston which is a far better piston then a stocker so I just can't see a problem with it. With todays pump gas I wouldn't run anymore then 9.5 to 1 compression unless I was using race fuel.

Never been in the military but I plan on owning a M249SAW when I get my Class 3 License. There are no transferable M249's that I know of but I should be able to find a dealers sample or I'll just buy a Daewoo K3 (pretty much the same gun, just Korean). They usually run about $4500-$5500. I know some company is building a semi auto M249 and I thought it was supposed to come out sometime this year. I don't know about South Carolina, but in Nevada you can still own just about anything.

Old 05-02-2002, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Run the octane is has been designed for at that altitude. Factors include, compression, ignition timing, intake timing, exhaust timing, temp and altitude. You will loose HP running to high of octane. It will be too slow of burn and most of the fire will happen after TDC.

Old 05-02-2002, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To repeat octane rating itself has nothing to do with how fst/slow the fuel burns. Other additives to the gasoline may. Here is a previous reply of mine:

When you are talking about JUST the octane rating it is simply a numerical rating in relationship to its resistance to detonation. The biggest myth about octane is that it will burn slower or faster depending on the rating. This is simply not true (http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir...line-faq/.html). Another myth is that a higher octane will give you better gas mileage. This might be true to a very small degree with cars because some models have a knock sensor. This allows the car to retard the timing when detonation occcurs. I don't know of an atv with a knock sensor. Higher octane will resist detonation with higher compression engines. Some race fuels have additives that cause the fuel to burn faster or slower, but it definitely is not the octane rating that is responible.