Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris observation

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2000, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And as for the Honda Ruling the roost which it may very well, but none of us will know until it comes out and the results are in so until then DONT COUNT YOUR EGGS BEFORE THEY HATCH.

Old 03-05-2000, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

TRX400EXitement,

Funny thing..my Trailblazer doesn't lack the 'snap' to get the front end up!! I can get the front end up like nothing!

Old 03-05-2000, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah... I was wondering what machine it was that lacked the SNAP to get the front end off the ground?.. ANd what Honda has it..? I have a Magnum 500 with 27" tires and I can stand it up on the back rack... THERES SNAP...
Have a 97 Scrambler 500 that is also "back rack" capable..
I have a 300ex that will wheelie.. but only if you slip the clutch and hammer to second gear.. My brothers Yamaha Bigbear will wheelie.. but only if you shift "thru" 1st gear.. rev the engine, then release the shifter.. I can wheelie my friends Honda 450S that way..
But on Polaris, there are no gears to "trick" its jsut RIP the throttle and HOLD ON...
So again... what Polaris was it that didn't have the "snap" to wheelie the front end?..
I can wheelie the Scrambler in REVERSE on flat ground on the front wheels.. haven't seen a Honda do that one yet...

Old 03-05-2000, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

My 99 Xplorer wont pull wheelies...do I have something wrong? or is it just to heavy in the front?

Maybe if I held the brake and gassed it???

Old 03-05-2000, 10:11 PM
Range Rover

My experiance with Polaris is quite of the mixed type, and i still don't know what to think. one of my buds has a 96 Sportsman 400, and it was a pile from the begining, and hasn't ran for over a year. Other people i know have had pretty good luck with there polaris's. For me, my 85 trail boss isn't the greatest anymore, but for a 15 year old machine its not too bad. that 250 will still keep up with everyone that i know. All i know is Polaris's have gone pretty far from where they started, especially with the transmission lever, now why did they think on the side near the floor was the place to put it?

Old 03-05-2000, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

What size Explorer is it?... Just put it in LOW range, and from a dead stop, WHACK the throttle and it should come right up... I haven't seeen a Polaris yet that wouldn't... Although i'm not too sure about that little 4x4 250 machine they just came out with..
I know how it is about one brand being a "mixed bag".. I had two new Yamahas that were complete trotline weights from the factory.. (Grizzly and BigBear) But I know people who have had them for years and no problems..
It's like getting a car built on Friday or Monday.. On Fridays the assembly line workers are ONLY thinking about the weekend.. on Monday they are too hung over from the weekend.. lolololol..

Old 03-06-2000, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

The Polaris machines do have the snap, you just have to know how to use it. It's mostly rider expieriance. When my Scrambler was new, I could only wheelie by holding the brake and then giving throttle. Now I just give it the gas. Can't really explain it, you just learn how to do it. Works great for logs. The front wheels never touch, just wheelie over then when it high centers lean forward.

Old 03-06-2000, 08:00 AM
Trailblazer

Hummm, Its a 1999 400 Xplorer 2 stroke. I have about 300 miles on it now...I weigh about 170 or so.
Mine has never come close to wheelieing off the line like that...Hummm. Seems to run just fine...top speed about 55 to 60. Fishtail the rears around corners and all. Maybe Its just not broke in yet.

Old 03-06-2000, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

When my Scrambler was completely stock I could easily lay it back on the rack. After adding an AAEN red spring and 55 gram weights it hits hard enough to do backflips if I wanted it to. My stepdad said he hadn't even considered getting a Polaris until he rode my Scrambler. Now he has a brand new 400. You've got to ride them and not listen to people who don't even own one, then form your own opinion.

Old 03-06-2000, 10:34 AM
Range Rover

CThorpe

I think your right. I have been riding ATV’s for many years. I started out with three wheelers and now ride both. There are about 15 of us that ride together. Some times, I don’t get to ride as much because I am the mechanic on our rides. We ride almost every week and take about 8 to 10 over night trips a year. I have owned Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Polaris. I spend less time working on Polaris ATV’s now than all the others. On our trip, there are 3 Honda 5 Yamaha 6 Polaris 1Kawasaki. So I don’t know if they are making them better but what ever they are doing it less work on the trail for me.

Quick Reply: Polaris observation