Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris observation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2000, 05:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon?? When i first started coming to this forum there were a lot of people talking bad about Polaris. I now look throughout this forum and find that people are not only talking much more favorably about Polaris but several folks that used to bash them have gone out and purchased one. I would say that speaks wonders for where Polaris has come over the past 2 years-wonder where theyll be in another 2 years?? Anyway-just an observation. CT 00 Scrambler 500

Old 03-03-2000, 08:10 PM
BLH
Pro Rider

I had a 94 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4. When it was time for something new, it was a given that I'd be getting a Warrior. I read all the posts, and test rode everthing the local dealers had. In the end I ended up with my 99 Sport 400. I love it! My only regret is I just could'nt afford the 4x4 Scrambler. Polaris won me over by offering a quality product at a very reasonable price (compared to the compatition) Sill alot of money for a toy... just ask my wife, she'll tell you, she's sure told me...

Bruce L. Hall
99 Sport 400

Old 03-03-2000, 10:27 PM
Range Rover

I used to ride 4 stroke Honda's only, looking down my nose at the lowly Polaris. But I wanted power and a 4X4 system that doesn't use any
differential. But Honda didn't have anything like that so I got my Scrambler 400 and never looked back. I don't miss the clutch or foot brake at all and Dirtwheels always said "If you ride sport quads stay away from the auto-Polaris and that, count them, one brake lever is the worst thing to burn gas in since the Edsel!". The old saying about not believeing anything you read and less than half of what you hear would apply. Even Honda has an auto-tranny now, and they always said autos were no good for ATVs. Well then why aren't there any sleds with shifters? What about dragsters and mud racers, monster trucks, etc. all use auto-trannies. Honda had one on the oddessy and pilot, why those and wait 10 years or so to put one in their ATVs'? Polaris has been great for our sport, creating competition among the different companies benefits us the most. Some manufacturers have been content to turn out the same models year after year but Polaris has always changed their new models forcing the cookie cutters to get out their slide rules. Change is good and survival of the fittest can only help us. So people can and will bash Polaris but now I think it may sometimes be a case of P-envy!

Old 03-04-2000, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

I think part of the reason there’s less bashing going on is the forum itself. The “old” forum of 2-3 years ago had a format that was more conversational in style. That seemed to lead to more blind-sided personal attacks. The “last” forum of only a month ago was VERY different in the way you could post, and almost instantly reduced the belligerence.

This “new” forum seems to have struck a happy medium between the two. We’ll see how it all works out but it sure has been nice not to have to deal with all the negativity we used to see on here. Most of us come here for fun, lively exchange of information and ideas. It’s good to see those who come here to pick a fight disappearing.

Old 03-04-2000, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

It seems a lot of people after riding polaris seem to like them more.

The friend that totalled his 300ex is going to purchase a 400 Scr after riding around on my Trailblazer last night. He was suprised at how easy the auto made trail riding and hill climbing.

Old 03-04-2000, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

Around 1996 I discovered Polaris I couldnt afford one at the time,but I new what I wanted. All of my friends laughed and said why do you want one of those,you want like a auotmatic,it want run when the belt gets wet and so on. Now they all have one ,want one or have bought a imposter from another maker. 98SP500

Old 03-04-2000, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

I used to bash all automatics, as well as the "super unreliable" Polaris ATVs. Little did I know I would end up buying one. The main problem is missunderstanding of how many Polaris features work, and lack of expieriance, just "I heard...."

The reliability issue with Polaris has really been blown out of proportion, and most of it going around right now isn't true. However, while I do agree completely that they may be reliable (at least for me & the people I ride with), they definatly could be of higher quality in many areas.

Old 03-05-2000, 01:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owning one Polaris is why you guys think they don't break down a lot. If you had four polarises you would know how bad they are. The older models are the worst they will eat a thousand bucks a year in parts.

Honda is not using the snowmobile style trany, it loses power and the snap needed for getting the front end off the ground. It also don't power out of the corners as good as a quad with gears. Another flaw is the inability to get the engine rpm up before obstacles like snow or mud, the new Honda will be able to do this, and will not be affected by water, dust, and worn belts.

Old 03-05-2000, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

All I can tell you is that I grew up riding Dirt Bikes; KX 80, CR 125 and now a XL 500. I had been looking for a Quad for the last year and read all the mags (Dirtwheels, ATV Action) and spent alot of time on the web. I didn't even consider buying a polaris with the auto tranny. My friend has the Big Boss 6+6 which is a bad vehicle but I still didn't think I could enjoy an Automatic for agressive riding. I pretty much narrowed it down to the Warrior and 300ex due to the reverse gear. I finally got up the money and went out for a weekend of test drives. My friend talked me into going to the polaris dealer because they were friends of his so I figured I would go there first because I just wanted to get it out of the way. To make a long story short, I rode the 'oo 400 2+4 and then went onto the Yamaha and Honda dealers to find my Quad. At the end of the day I was back at the Polaris dealer buying the Scrambler. It wasn't even a close call. I was completely impress by the polaris and after riding it for 3 months I know I made the right choice. As far as repairs go, I've been pulling the engines on dirt bikes my hole life. For me, pulling the engine and performing mods is part of the fun.

Jim, Scrambler 400, 500XL

Old 03-05-2000, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Well if you had 4,and they cost you so much, you should change. Either the Polaris's were lemons,or your riding style far surpassed what the bike was meant for. I like mine I only plan on buying one for the next couple of years. All you seem to be able to do is blast anything but Honda any. If we are happy with our's than let us be. If you don't like them than so be it.
May your wonderful Honda never break down and may you ride many Happy Trials. I bought mine to trail ride and use on the farm,so far i couldnt be happier with it's results. I looked at Hondas but I dont like them so I bought a Sportsman. I much more enjoy the ride.
We will Keep Our Polaris's

Quick Reply: Polaris observation