Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

? for Mike Chero

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 02:21 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, if i remember right you are or where running works struts and hot seat springs. What setting do you have your springs on, soft,med. or hard? I ran my fox stuts on my 500 on the soft setting, but was not sure if i needed to set the springs stiffer for the works or not. I do more trail riding that jumping. Also what psi should i run for trails? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2002, 09:00 PM
Range Rover

Anyone?

Old 05-14-2002, 10:36 PM
Range Rover

He will post just give him time. Go to search and put in shocks cause there have been a few post about them and I think he was one.

Ronnie

Old 05-14-2002, 11:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sevy,
Until recently, I was running the Hot Seat springs on some massaged Fox struts. Correct me if I'm wrong but being a 400 X you are 4x4. That would mean some addition wt up front. With all the wt removal I had done the softest setting was too harsh, now I run HPD customs, and we're still ironing out the springs and valving. Personally, I'd probably try the meduim setting first, and see how that feels.

In your signature you had a 500 stolen, from home, or a riding area?

Ken

Old 05-15-2002, 12:51 AM
Range Rover

Ken,
Right now i'm in Colton CA. i've been here almost a year now. I had my 500 shipped out to me in October. On Sunday March 3rd. A few friends took a trip to Ocotillo Wells and i drove. Well we got back real late so i left the scram on the back of the truck, chained and the tail gate locked. I went to work in the morning and parked in the company lot. At 3:00 in the afternoon i got a page on my nextel to get outside. Four guys pulled up in a van busted the tailgate lock and cut the chains and took off. Three weeks ago it was recovered but it was trashed. the good news is two of the four went to jail and with the insurance i now own a new x. Thats why i'm asking all the newbie two stroke questions. I've got all my parts i just need to break it in and put them on. I can't wait untill the end of june when i'll be back in wisconsin and ripping it up in black river. Matt

Old 05-15-2002, 01:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I love it when justice prevails! They should cut their nads off to make sure it's a significant emotional experience.

Old 05-15-2002, 01:17 AM
Range Rover

Amen to that.

Old 05-15-2002, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

sevy,

Sorry, I've been busy lately, we just got back from a poker run and I've been busy cleaning machines and riding gear.

I started out on the softest setting because I wanted some sag in my front suspension (sort of a home made ZPS system). Remember that I have a 1997 Sport and it originally had the "short" travel front suspension on it. When I used the stock springs, it didn't want to turn because it sat too high and was VERY top heavy. Now is squats down close to the stock height, but still allows for full suspension travel on unexpected dropoffs. I'm not much of a jumper, I'm too old and fat (hey, at least I'm honest) for that craziness.

I did notice this past weekend that it seemed like the front end was bottoming out on some fairly small stuff at high speed. Upon further reflection, I realized that the small spring WAS bottoming out, but the suspension was no where near it's fully collapsed state. The longer spring still had plenty of travel left. The slight clunking sound associated with bottoming was the small spring bottoming, not both springs. The suspension worked so well on the small stuff at slower speeds that I wondered if my eyes might be decieving me on how big those rocks, ruts and roots really were.

If you were to hit some big jumps, then the stock springs might be your best bet. But you're like me, and want a plush ride over small stuff and don't care about playing "Evil Knievel". I use the softest setting on my Sport. I'm not enamored with either the collar or the spacer that they use to stiffen the suspension. It seems to me like a good way to limit suspension travel (especially the spacer). I could be wrong on this point, but I don't think so. Someone can correct me if I am.

Old 05-16-2002, 01:09 AM
Range Rover

Thanks mike, i still have about 6 weeks to think the set up over and wont be able to do any tests until i get home in june. I'm just trying to get a good idea on where i should begin. It's not hard to flip the spacer, but it cuts into the fun factor of playing on the brand new toy. Matt