Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Final Decison- Trail Boss, will i regret?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 08:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there, i think ive decided on the 02 325 trail boss but there is only one problem. if my dealer ship orders one in i have to buy it, he wont get one in just for me to test drive, he only sells 2-3 2wd a year (98%4x4s) so he doesnt want to bring one in and if i dont want it leave him to try and sell a "demo"... Think i will regret buying this machine?, anything i should know? please help, thanks!

PS. Does it have reverse?

Old 05-17-2002, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I rode with a guy last weekend that just bought a new one. We went through some water that wasn't even that deep ( my Raptor made it) and we had to sit for over an hour because his belt got wet and started slipping. There was absolutely NO POWER!!! All he did was complain about the machine. Take it for what it's worth, but there are alot better quads out there.!!! Z400, 400ex, raptor and cannondale just to name a few!!!

Old 05-17-2002, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Trailboss is an absolute waste of money[my opinion] and you will NEVER re-coop your $$ for it if you decide you dislike it.They are very slow/overweight slugs.

If you dont desire alot of speed/power,this is a nice ATV for just casual trailrides.The auto tranny is a nice feature.

Bill

Old 05-17-2002, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

It's hard to say without knowing what type of riding you do, or what you expect from it.

As another user said, the trail boss is pretty much made for the trails. I think that if you are an average trail rider it would be sufficient for you, but if you ride with all 4x4's, or if you ride with all sport quads you will probably get left behind in one way or another.

Also on the downside...since the quads are so inexpensive it really affects the resale value of them...As soon as you drive it off the lot you will be losing faster than you are paying your payments on it.

Personally if it were me I would be sure to test drive a quad before I purchased it, no matter if it was a Trail Boss or if it was a Raptor, or any other quad on the market. Asking the opinions of the other members on here is great, but only you can decide what quad is right for you. People on here have a tendancy of reporting on a quad like it is meant to be the best in the world rather than what it is truely made for. When Polaris made the trail boss they had no intention of it being the best in any category, but rather they wanted to build a low priced quad that most anybody could ride. Of course it's not as fast as a True sport quad, and of course it is not as Powerful as a big engined 4x4....it doesn't claim to be. I am sure that you can find a dealer somewhere within driving distance that can hook you up with one so you can test it out. Who knows, you may really like it.

Good luck.

-Josh

Old 05-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

yeah its got reverse. I have one and have ridden others besides the trailboss and it holds it own with other 300cc quads. The water thing that guardog is total BS or his friend got a POS because mine runs fine in water. No quad can match it in price in the 300cc range and its pretty obvious with the 2 quads you mentioned before (rally and trailboss) you are looking for an inexpensive ride so the people mentioning z400s or 400exs is a joke. We all would love to be able to afford the most expensive quads but some have to settle for something that fits the budget. It's to bad you can't ride one from your local dealership. I wish you luck in your decision. I like my Tboss and have had nothing but good experences.

Old 05-18-2002, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Hey iszdan, I am only speaking from what I observed. He went through the water and there he sat for over an hour. It must have been a POS like you said!!!

Old 05-18-2002, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Sometimes the seal around the cover leaks letting water get in around the belt. You may want him to check that.

Old 05-18-2002, 05:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Trailboss is sufficient, but will leave you wanting something else after not long, and you will lose more money in the long run trying to sell or trade it.

Look at the other quads in that size range. Rancher, Big Bear and even the old Bayou 300 are built better than the Trailblazer, and will be worth more if you decide to get rid of it.

Unless you have a Sportsman, its hard to get much out of a Polaris if you decide to trade it or sell it. Not a bash on the manufacturer, just something I have seen for years.

Old 05-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

My take is =
The trail boss is a good girl bike on kid's bike.
I now a couple guys who regretted getting it.

As for sitting for an hour waiting for the belt to dry,
if it took that long to dry ,the beltcover was fll of water,when that happens ,roll the bike on the its side to get the water out,stand it back up,then start it up ,put in neutral,rev it a couple times and your good to go,5-10 minutes

Old 05-18-2002, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

The Trail Boss is a jam up great quad. It's not intended to be a sport quad or a mudder, it is a Trail Quad, and it does that job very well. With the Trail Boss you can go through water up to your butt cheeks without fear of taking on water in the CVT. I have owned many quads and consider the Trail Boss to be one of the "best bang for the buck" quad purchases you can make. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Final Decison- Trail Boss, will i regret?