Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris, Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read so many topics where people go o yea Polaris is the worst ATV company out there and people saying they have so many problems with their Polaris. I then read replys to that topic where someone gos o yea I have the same exact Polaris and do the same stuff you do with it but mine works FINE!! People saying that they cant go in deep water because of the belt? I mean I dont want to go and buy a brand new Scrambler 500 4x4 and spend some where around $5700 - $6000 then it be nothing but problems. Do you just get lucky with Polaris where hopfully you get one that they made good? Whats the deal here? I dont want to be disappointed and spend that much money on junk. I aint really gonna do to much towing maybe tow a quad back to camp at most if I had to. I want to go up steep hills with rocks all over it. Is the Polaris Scrambler really worth it or should I get Yamaha Wolverine.

Old 05-21-2002, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

The forums are mostly used for people to get help with a problem they may have. Not many come on and say my tie rods are not broken just letting you know. I belive most people that own polaris machine love them. They are good machines and with proper maintanance they will hold up just as well as any other........
Every single bike out there is due to have a problem or two from time to time. I have two gen 3 machines and have have little to no problems. I think you would be very pleased with a 500 Scrambler compared to the wolverine.

You can not alway take everything you read to heart also.............

Old 05-21-2002, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

If you buy new, you have a heck of alot better chance of not having problems, its when you get older used machines when problems start to happen. By now im sure all of the problems have been worked out of the scramblers, considering its one of there older models and has been around a little longer.I think that the scrambler is by far the better machine.

Old 05-21-2002, 07:22 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Almost all the people I ride with have Polaris ATVs and love them. Two of the machines were bought used (425 Mag and a 500 HO). As long as you are willing to spend a little time greasing and doing regular maintenance you should be fine. All machines are great when running and all suck when broken down.

Old 05-21-2002, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

The Polaris machines need a little more TLC than most. I like taking care of mine that way. A good bath, greasing,checking the air filter and oil go a long way. I also soak the whole quad down with WD40 when it is dry. Makes it shine and keeps rust away.

Ronnie

Old 05-21-2002, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

what it all boils down to is this...how do you ride? if you're a person that just trail rides and does little hard core action like big ruts, jumps, rocks, slideing around corners and doing donuts in 8inches of mud, well any bike will hold up along time with little problems but routine maintence. If you are that hard core ride type, well then sooner or later you have to pay the pipper and start replacing things that wear out. Most breakdowns occure from abuse an the neglect to repair that abuse. I am living proof of this statement as I am that hard core type rider and I understand that when you ride hard and fast something must and will give sooner or later and I expect a certain amount of mechanical failure as nothing is built to last forever. The question you should ask yourself is what kind of rider are you and find a bike built to your style of riding.

Old 05-21-2002, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

Mine ran 5 months with mouse nest in the belt housing. Snoopy is right, you need to spend a little time each time you ride to make sure all is Ok. I am hard on mine since I like to jump and I have not had any problems (knock on wood).

Even though I have a 2x4 it likes to climb up things. I think it is only natural for the Scrammy. Take it for what it is worth!

Happy Scrammy Owner

Old 05-22-2002, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

I spend just as much time on my 400EX after each ride as I did on my Polaris Sport. I never put a quad away muddy.

Maybe that's why I never had a problem with my Sport.

It's all about the maintenance.

Old 05-22-2002, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

I personally have had nothing but problems but I ride mine really hard too. I think if you are going to be a reserved rider you won't have too many problems at all.

Snoop, great point they do need a little more TLC, and the WD40 trick makes them look like new again all over.

Balzak
2000 Scrambler 400 2x4 too many mods to list (for sale)
1998 Yamaha warrior some mods
2003 Suzuki Z400 (I pick it up tonight)

Old 05-22-2002, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer

Basically I want to go through water (not to deep, but water) I also want to do trail riding and go up hills with rocks. MAYBE once in a while take it to high levels but if I do all that and take care of it your saying I wont have any problems right? Well yea little problems here and their but no serious problems which will make me regret buying the ATV

Quick Reply: Polaris, Is It Really Worth It?