Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

5 days/550 miles on new SP700

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from riding the Silver Piaute Trail. Was riding with 3 other guys. Machines consisted of 2 new yellow and green Sp700, 99 magnum 500 and a 400 bigbear. We rode a total of 550 miles. The longest day being 138 miles. We had to change the jet in the 400 other wise no jet changes to the Polaris's. The only time we noticed the altitude on the bikes were when we got above 11000 feet. The temp. was around 90 degrees every day. The 700's would need to be switched to reserve after 65 miles of hard riding and ran as far as 12 miles on reserve. Any body says these 700's drink gas is crazy. The only problem experienced with the 700's was the foam that goes around air intake was blocking the inlet. Took a little while to figure out what was wrong. Even pulled the 700 back to camp 7 miles. Absolutely no other problems. No water pump leaks no cracked intake boots, nadaa thing. Have heard alot of negative feedback on this board about the 700 but can't believe much of its true the way these bikes performed. I am also running 27 inch mudmachines on mine. Not the best tire to have for rocky trail riding but do perform well in the snow. So if anybody is thinking about the 700 I would say go for it. Should be able to get 80 miles out of a full tank of gas with reserve, not bad for a 740 lb. bike.

Old 06-02-2002, 09:41 PM
Range Rover

WOW, that's impressive, 11,000 feet at 90 above gives you very little air for the 700 to breath. I think thats great, without rejetting.

Old 06-02-2002, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

It was probably cooler than 90 degrees when we got that high. But at base camp which is at about 5000 feet it was in the 90's. Lots of snow around 11000 feet.

Old 06-03-2002, 09:25 AM
Range Rover

SLEWPUMPER
I'm glad your happy with your 700. Hopefully you will not experience the problems that many other 700 owners have, including myself. I don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest on fuel mileage on the 700, but having been checked several times, mine gets 12 MPG. I don't think I'm crazy, but my wife has made that comment on several occassions in the past. I remember her making that comment when I sold my 2000 sp 500 and bought the sp700. Every once in a while, she repeats it. Mabey you were fortunate enough to get hold of a trouble free 700. I hope that is the case. As for me, I have to sign off for now, I'm taking my 700 to the dealer for the 4th time for carb problems. They told me if I was first in line, they may be able to look at it while I wait.
P.S
I even had my youngest son(5 1/2 years of collage) re-check my fuel mileage and he came up with the same 12 MPG. But what the hell doe's he know, he burned his house down cooking on his gas grill. My wife also told him that he was crazy.

Old 06-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Funny post,Mr. Picky.
Joe

Old 06-04-2002, 08:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

how do you burn down your house cooking on a gas grill?
was he using it in the living room?
-MT

Old 06-04-2002, 03:52 PM
Range Rover

Mtpockets
By using mesquite chips instead of lava rocks. I'm not sure if I spelled that right but you get the idea. Supossedly you set fire to the chips and than douse them with water.(DO NOT leave the house after you do this and DO NOT put the grill real close to the house). I guess one of the chips wasn't out and fell through the hole in the bottom of the grill(where the grease drains out), onto the hose comeing from the propane tank. KABOOM!!!. At least that's what three different fire depts thought. They said the only other possible way it could happen was if you were using it in the living room. Ya just had to make me tell this story, didn't you. He is now banned from using anything but a George Foreman grill and that has to be done only under non college supervision. Personally, I would have sued the mesquite chip mfg.,the grill mfg,the propane supplier and the three fire depts. for not getting there sooner. I would have used the money to buy 100 or so sp 700's and prayed that one of them was trouble free. Sorry you asked???

Old 06-04-2002, 06:47 PM
Range Rover

Mr Picky, just wondering what you thought about your AEEN clutch kit.Did it give you more snap on takeoff and is it worth the $$$$$.Thanks

Old 06-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Range Rover

stevexplor
I'm happy with the clutch kit. I think it gives noticeably more snap on takeoff. That's where I felt the most difference. I feel it was 72.00 well spent. The dealer did charge me 1 hours labor @49.00 an hour. A lot of you guys could probably install it yourselfs.

Old 06-09-2002, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

Where can I find some of the postings that describe the problems people have had with the 700? I would like to find out who has had as many as me! My warranty runs out this month, and I am really worried! My 700 is a great machine on paper, and if it worked as well as it should I would honestly love it. I have had two crank seals replaced before I ever got to ride it, I have had noises the dealer couldn't figure out, I just had a temp sensor replaced because my fan wouldn't come on when I was 30 miles from camp. I had to keep adding water every two miles. Then the next day a recall for a possible coolant problem (!?!). Today I went out to change the oil before going riding and noticed coolant dribbling out. I was tempted to ride any way and just keep an eye on it, but when I run it, it gushes out. I want to find out how to get out of this piece of junk.

<< whys my 700 such a P.O.S.? >>

Quick Reply: 5 days/550 miles on new SP700