Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler dies on occasion

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '99 Scrambler (500 4x4) has died on two occasions on me, and nearly died two other times. It did it after it was fully warmed (after about 30 minutes riding). I was just riding slong about 1/3 throttle and it acted as if it was running out of fuel, but I had half a tank both times. After it died, it sat for about 15-20 seconds, then started back up. It didn't start too well, but it didn't die after that.

I always run 92 or higher octane fuel, it is stored in my barn (out of the weather). The fuel filter has probably had less than 10 full tanks ran through it. I have never seen the temp light come on.

I realize this is an extremely vague description, but can someone give me some ideas on where to start?

I have had troubles before with it stalling when I put it into reverse, but would the two be related, and at such random times?

Thanks,
SnowDrift

Old 06-05-2002, 02:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you run at that high of an octane? What elevation are you?

Old 06-06-2002, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

my wifes 98 500 4x4 did the smae thing and i replaced the diaphram inside the fuel pump and it hasnt done it since

Old 06-06-2002, 08:01 AM
Range Rover

This might be totally unrelated but mine would act like it would run out of gas and it would do it at totally different times ( 5 minutes into a ride, or 4 hours into a ride ). It ended up getting "tank lock", I vented the gas cap with some neoprene hose and a little plastic fitting and my problems went away. The bike was totally stock at the time too. Just maybe worth mentioning.

Balzak
2000 scrambler 400 2x4 modded to the gills up for sale
1998 Yamaha Warrior some mods
2003 Suzuki Z400 stock

Old 06-06-2002, 09:47 AM
Range Rover

I am at about 1000 ft. above sea level. I have always ran high octane in my small engines (mowers, weed eaters, roto-tillers, etc). I guess I always felt it would be best, since the volume is so low on usage.

Is it not recommended?

Is the fuel pump diaphram difficult to change and where is the fuel pump?

My fuel tank is vented from the factory.

SnowDrift

Old 06-06-2002, 09:58 AM
Range Rover

My fuel tank was vented too from the factory and it wasn't because of a clogged vent tube either, the vent for some quads is just too small to relieve the pressure. If I left it sit for a few minutes it would fire again. If it did it and I removed the gas cap it would fire also. You can probably search on "tank lock" and you will see others that have had this problem. The vent on the polaris machines is much smaller compared to other quads and I think that is where the problem lies, it is also not at the very top of the tank, it is close but if you overfill the tank you might also encounter this problem. Just something that you might check the next time that it does it, remove the gas cap and then see if it will fire.

Balzak

Old 06-06-2002, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

Actually, both times I have removed the cap to check the fuel level and it fired afterward. I will make a point next time to try to spin off the cap as it is dying next time to see if that clears it up. I notice air/fuel bubbles often while I ride going out the clear plastic tube, too.

SnowDrift

Old 06-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Range Rover

Hey Balzak,

You ever go down to Wayne Forest to ride? We went to a campground in eastern Ohio on Memorial Day weekend and had a ball. I am looking forward to go to Logan again - haven't been there since I was little and on my 3-wheeler!

SnowDrift

Old 06-06-2002, 11:25 AM
Range Rover

I go there just about every weekend. It is only an hour drive for me from Columbus. I really like riding there since they groom the trails every year. They have gotten a lot of rain this season and it is the worst that I have seen it. They aren't grooming the trails because for the second year in a row someone has stolen their caterpiller that smooths and makes the trails. We camped down there memorial day weekend also and had a whole lot of fun, the most fun thing is finding new trails to ride and explore. I bought the new Suzuki Z400 and I am loving it on the trails, I like it so much better than the Polaris. It handles and jumps so much nicer. If you get down there again let me know and I will try to hook up with you for some story telling and some riding.

Balzak

Old 06-06-2002, 05:53 PM
Range Rover

Hard to believe someone would steal a dozer, but I know it happens. That Z400 looks like an awesome machine - and I am sure it flies much better than a Polaris. I work mine, too, though, so I don't mind some extra weight for that.

When I was little, we use to camp at the fire tower - can you still get to it? We could climb to the top and see "mankiller" with binoculars. That is quite a sight to see above the treetops.