Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

So, Tell Me About Polaris ATVS - What Makes Them So Good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I admit it...I've never been a fan of Polaris ATVs. Why? I've never been sold on automatic trannies, I don't like the concept of both brakes engaging together all the time, the heavy weight and Polaris reliability does not seem to be up to par with its Japanese counterparts.

But, as I recently began to take a more serious interest in ATVs again, I see that Polaris now has quite an impressive and loyal following. So now, my curiosity has me wanting to know what it is that makes these machines so special. There has to be some reason that so many people love 'em.

Please, tell me what it is that makes you like them more than others. Tell me why I should seriously consider a Polaris.

I don't plan to race MX, so high jumping and roost throwing performance is not that important to me at this time. Rather, I plan to do some recreational trailriding (no rock climbing, though)as well as the standard utility duties (hunting mostly). The areas I will ride in are mostly dense thicket areas, creek bottoms and some muddy/wet areas.

First, about the transmission. I've heard of several people who've experienced multiple problems with their Polaris transmissions. Are they that unreliable? Or do they typically sell the lemons just to Mississippi folk? Does the Polaris auto-transmission have a problem with slipping? Even when in mud and water? Really, just how good is their transmission?

Second, about those dern brakes...can they be modified so that they work independently? That is a must.

Third, how does the Polaris compare performance-wise to other quads in the situations such as I mentioned previously?

Finally, overall, how reliable is this machine? Do I have to worry all the time about something breaking?

I must admit I am beginning to take a second look at Polaris ATVs. They are very good-looking ATVs, for whatever that is worth. Also, nowadays I see as many people owning Polaris ATVs as I do the other brands. That many people can't be wrong.

So, sell me on Polaris!

Old 06-20-2002, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

I had a 99 Sport. It was supposed to be Polaris' fastest trail machine. I had it modified to where it would just about rip your arms off when you hit the throttle. It was a very enjoyable machine. The only problem I ever had with it maintenance wise was the very poorly designed tie rod ends. I think I went through about five sets during the three years I owned it. I really enjoyed the automatic tranny for the first two years, but found myself wanting a manual clutch for my sport riding. I still prefer an auto for my utility riding, though (that's why I still have my Kodiak). Most of my riding is/was in very wet conditions such as mudding and stream riding, I never once experienced a wet belt or slippage of the tranny, I wish I could say the same about my Kodiak. It slips if you stop and take a slug of water while riding. About the brakes-you can buy a split brake kit for Polaris machines.Perfomance wise-Polaris seemed to have found a way to make their machines faster than comparable cc'd machines, even though they (Polaris) always weigh a considerable bit more than the others. Polaris also always gets rave reviews on their comfortable seats, and plush suspensions. The high ground clearances and power to the wheels also makes Polaris' better mudders than most quads out there. I've seen some of their 2 wheel drive models perform better than other manufacturers 4 wheel drive quads. Polaris doesn't use sealed pivot points, so you will have to go around the machine with a grease gun every other ride.

From reading in this forum over the past three to four years, it seems the utility models suffer from breakdowns a little more frequently than the sport/trail models for some reason. And I don't want to sound like I'm bashing here, all brands of quads break down, and Polaris has come a long, long way in the reliability department, but I still think that Polaris' are a little more trouble prone when it comes down to it. That is strictly my opinion, of course.

I loved my Polaris, but I was wanting something sportier, lighter, better handling, and with a manual clutch. So I got rid of it. Sometimes I wish that I would have kept it, along with the new one, but I just don't have room for all of my toys as it is, so it had to go.

All in all, I would rate my experience with Polaris a solid 9. Mine never stranded me, and I was confident every time that I took it off the trailer, it would make it back on its own power, (and it did)

Old 06-20-2002, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

If you do buy a Polaris, buy a new one not someone else’s problems or you will be bad mouthing them like others. I bought my first one in January, it is a 500HO. I have ridden snowmobiles for years and the idea of the same clutch system on the ATV was a plus for me. My sled is always right on what ever speed I am at and so is this ATV. I am at 50 hours and 360 miles. I have plowed snow and ridden in ice and water. I haven’t had he belt slip yet and I have had into a hole with water just under the front rack but I was constantly moving forward. I like not having to shift just give it gas and it always putting power to the wheels. So I would say so far I am not at all disappointed with the automatic set up.

I admit you have to grease it but I grease my sled and do regular maintenance on everything I own. I am actually glad I can grease it!

Someone does make a kit to split the break lines for front and rear but I don't know who. It included a master cylinder etc for a little over a hundred bucks so you can scratch that itch.

I don't race my quad against my buddies so I don't can't answer your performance question. I can tell you that I ride trails and go after mud and water. I have never felt I needed more power! The 500HO has been reliable and easy on gas. I have no regrets.

Remember buy a new one if you can.

Old 06-20-2002, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

I bought my first Polaris in early '96, the first white and aqua green Trailboss 250 to hit the showroom floor. I owned that until mid '99 when I bought a 6x6 ATV. I put a great amount of miles on that machine although I wasn't very hard on it. I just rode it like it was meant to be rode. There wasn't ever one single piece replaced on that machine. I just added oil and gas. Never even changed the tranny fluid. I know the person who still owns it today. He said the battery is dead (the original) but it starts right up with the pull start.
I bought my second and current Polaris machine a few months ago. I got a used '99 Scrambler 500 4x4 for a great price. Like Xcrider said, try to buy new unless you really know what you are looking at with a used vehicle. The '99 model year tie rods are no good and wear out quickly along with the lower steering post bushing. I replaced the tie rods with the new style and they work great. My Scrambler had been equiped with the HPD split brake system. This would have been fine but both master cylinders were wore out (I think they were fairly old). I bought the Polaris single brake and that suits my riding just fine.
I absolutely love the Polaris true four wheel drive system. It works flawlessly and provides maximum traction. The high output 500 engine is very powerful and quick. It is the easiest starting motor I've ever had in an ATV.
I enjoy having just one forward gear in my Scrambler (although most other Polaris 4x4s have high and low). With just one gear it will pull wheelies, pull out stuck Hondus, speed along at 63mph, and even pull a trailer with the accessory hitch. Not a single hint of trouble from the belt. A tip for using high gear in pulling is to give it plenty of throttle and get rolling. Don't let it sit there and hummmm while you slowly get it moving. I think that is where most people have problems.
I have mudded my Scrambler with the best of the utility 4x4s and jumped it at Little Sahara sand dunes with the best of the sport quads. I've got a little of both worlds in one machine.
I could go on and on but I think that is enough for now. My next machine will be a Sportsman 700 Twin in yellow. That is one sweet rig.

Old 06-20-2002, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a modified Trailblazer, like a lot of TB's out there, because it is pretty sluggish from the factory. But with minimal $$$ and some tinkering time you can really wake this machine up. I have always been a manual transmission person, but I've grown to really love the automatic.....especially for trail riding. By time my buddies are finished shifting through the gears, I'm long gone down the trail.

I've read about people having problems with belt slippage, I've never had the problem. If the transmission case isn't sealed right, it will leak causing the belt to slip. I check mine on occasion and keep it sealed tight. I also do a lot of creek blasting with no problems.

The dual brake system has been great for me, I really like it. It really saves on brake pad usage....especially for the rear. I have changed mine once since I bought it new in '98. My buddy has a 400EX and goes through a set of rear pads twice a year, at best. The Polaris also has a seperate rear foot brake pedal on the floorboard. I use it when going down a steep hill for example. Otherwise the brakes stops the quad very, very well.

The grease fittings, in my opinion, are a bonus. I know the Japanese bikes have "sealed" bearings, but I like the fact that I can re-grease any time I want. Especially after playing around in the creeks all day long.

As far as performance goes, Polaris quads tend to be on the heavy side. So they aren't the fastest bikes out there. If you want to race MX, go with a racing quad. But if you want a comfortable, good handling, all around quad, go with the Polaris. I can easily keep up with my buddy's 400EX in the woods. The 400EX is no doubt a faster, better handling quad, but you can only go so fast in the woods......plus it's also nice to have reverse in case you get stuck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Just my $.02

Old 06-20-2002, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

I belive Polaris sells the amount of ATVs because they are very Easy to Ride. Super Pluch Ride(seat and suspension), Full Floorboards (nice protection), Automatic Trans (Not a new concept, just like snowmobile), Single lever Brakes (again easy to use and very effective for 90% of riding) I also belive size is a big factor for some,I am a big guy 6ft and 270 lbs, A lot of bikes from the other manufactures are small and I feel cramped up. (NOTHING FUNNIER THAN A 300LB guy on a Honda 400EX or Yamaha Banshee)just not right, ya know

I also belive the problems people have with polaris over others is they require a little more TLC. "Maintanance", the Number One key to any ATV in my opinion. Polaris uses Lots of Grease zert fittings, You Need to Grease them often, if you don't thing wear. On chain drive models the chain lash needs to be Adj, If you don't chain and sprockets wear quicker leading to Failure. Bottom line if you take care of it, It will take care of you.

1. Transmission, Well Like I said the belt drive is not new, you will find it on just about all snoemobiles. Some beaple have problems when they get wet but that tells me the seal on the cover is bad, When Rubber belts get wet, THEY SLIP. I feel they are very proven and reliable, The one main problem I have heard on Chain models they need a guard to protect the housing from geting cracked if the chin breaks(Have heard this has been solved on new models).
2 Brakes, I do not know why you would want to do this (UNLESS YOU WANTED TO MX) but yes they do make kits to split the brakes. The current Foot brake currently only operates the rear so this kit just cancels rear brake operation with the hand lever. The Standard single lever brakes work very well and you should try them before you write them off.
3. As for performance, well everybody has different views and wants, The ATVs from each manufature are very close in performance, BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER. Just buy a machine made to do what you want to do. Go test ride some bikes and ride the EQUVALANT bike from the other manufactures.
For performance it will help if you answered the following.
What is your size?
What do you want it for? All Polaris machines have great a trail ride
How much do you want to spend?
Do you want IRS?(Independent Rear Suspension)
Do you want 4x4? Mud and Snow use?

Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

I bought my Sportsman for the ride I called it the Cadillac of 4 wheelers the ride was untouchable by any other 4 wheeler up tell this year. I also like having the biggest 4 wheeler the 700 pounds never bothered me and I never really noticed the extra weight when I traded 4 wheelers with my friends. The best way to describe my Sportsman was last year on a week long ATV trip my friends dad who is 65 was driving a Honda foreman 450 ES we switch one day and he did not want to switch back the rest of the trip he was wanting to ride my Sportsman. About a month ago he bought a Sportsman 500 HO because of the ride.
Now Reliability issues all I have replaced is tie rods on my Sportsman. My Scrambler I replaced a starter and tie rods that’s it one has close to 4000 miles and the other one has 3400 miles.
Also up to this year all the other 4 wheeler’s were 3 wheel drive and Polaris had the only true 4 wheel drive {beside Suzuki’s 250 4 wheel drive quad} It was a lot of fun when the mud got deep or the snow got deep or the rocks got big to leave my friends behind and have to pull them through the obstacles.
My one other reason is my wife she has a hard time understanding when to shift gears so I sold are Honda 4 wheeler and bought my first Polaris back in 99 so she could ride with me. To this day I have been very happy with my Polaris 4 wheelers.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Reliability always seems to come up with POLARIS machines.

I beleive this, Do the Proper Maintanance and the reliability is just as good as any other out there.
This stands true for every manufacture out there.

Old 06-20-2002, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

i have a 2000 polaris expedition 425, 5 speed manual (auto clutch). only problem i have ever had was the fan wouldnt come on, so i put a manual switch on, so when it gets hot, i just pop the switch and im good to go.
I think why polaris sell's so many machines is because there easy to ride. they have so many features that are user friendly, and very pleasureable. This is my first and only polaris machine, but i am looking for a used sport 400**! They go fast enough, and if they arnt fast enough for ya than add some aftermarket mod's to them and smoke anyone! Polaris can pull/tow the most, and are the best mudders of anyone out there. If you havent already, go to the polaris home page www.polarisindustries.com and check out the hunter friendly version of the sportsman 500HO *!*!*

sorry bout the spelling, i am a teen, but dont hold it aganist me, i know my sh*t!

Old 06-20-2002, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

I had a 99 Scrambler 500 4x4 and I loved it! I could fly through the trails as fast as I dared. It was very easy to control and it handled the jumps and whoops quite well. I only had the belt slippage occur once in the 2 1/2 years that I owned it. I took a 3 foot deep puddle at about 35 MPH and my Scrammy didn't like it. 10 minutes later, it was fine. I never had any problems with the quad until my roommates dog chewed through my 4 wheel drive and electrical wiring. I got it fixed but my battery would keep dying. Fortunately, the pull start was always there and it cranked right over.

I wish I still had it. I'm in the market for a new quad but I don't know if I want sport or utility.

-Ash

Quick Reply: So, Tell Me About Polaris ATVS - What Makes Them So Good?