Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Got my 2003 Scrambler 500 4X4 today

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 01:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went for a ride, bent both my front rims, flipped it and bent the light bracket, plastics held up good though. Had a hell of a good time and will probably be a little sore tommorrow. Hey Spicollie if you read this I might be a little late if the tire or tires are flat and I'll try and remember my camera. Sure do like the four wheel option, sure don't like the look of my bank account. Sure got muddy have to remember not to wear my good shoes, couldn't resist though it was just supposed to be a little "tester" ride. Felt a little weird getting used to not shifting. Will try and get pics up as soon as possible. Have to admit the ol'puter screen seems a little boring now. Any helpful suggestions on maintenance, riding and rigging will be gratefully accepted. All smart-*** comments from raptor,ds,etc, owners, let me just say you can all bugger off in advance.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2002, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

I like your last comment Evan, well put.
I have one piece of advice, grease all your points often. If it's full of grese then water can't get in. have fun with your new toy

Old 07-18-2002, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

why didn't get the 400 2 stroke scrambler instead? this one is a "hell" lot better...

Old 07-18-2002, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Evan,
Congrats on your new ride.What color is the '03? Like stump said keep her greased.Sorry to here about your wheels[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Post often and let us know how your coming along.You'll get used to not shifting especially on tight twisty trails it takes the guess work out of it.

scramblered,
My guess is he did'nt get the 400 'cause he did'nt want to.Just 'cause you have it does'nt make it a "hell lot better".

Old 07-18-2002, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

you're just ridiculous,this was not i'm saying at all...

Old 07-18-2002, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

One other little tid bit of info that you and all the guys running this setup can use.
Type-F transmission fluid works in your 4x4 hubs instead of buying the $4.00 bottle of polaris stuff that is only enough to do your hubs once. tranny fluid is only about 1.25 and will do it a couple of times, it's only red instead of green.
When it comes time to change your rear brakes, go for a good aftermarket one. The polaris brakes are about 60 dollars a pop. I'll think of some more later.

Old 07-19-2002, 02:55 AM
Range Rover

Stumpjumper Thanks for the tips. I can only find 5 grease nipples on the thing. I thought there was supposed to be 6. The manual that came with it is a "Universal Owner's Manual" that covers all the models so it has very little useful information. I'll have to get a service manual from the dealer. If he'll sell me one.

Automaniac, Thanks for the reply, she's got four good tires and she's blue.

Scramblered, Merci, I got the 4 stroke because it doesn't have quite as much maintenence and as for the extra MPH with the 400 2 stroke, well let's just say I'll leave that to you young pups. Bon nuit.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img],

Old 07-19-2002, 03:22 AM
Range Rover

Oh yea, went through some serious mud today, went into a large puddle that had a soft gumbo bottom and had to jump off and push to get it out. Also forgot to bring a blanket with me to cover my truck seat, so I shed the laundry and went to a car wash to clean it up, got a couple odd looks while washing my quad in my boxers.(nyuk nyuk nyuk)Dang washer pealed the decals right off, oh well I don't want them on anyhow.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-19-2002, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

it took me a minute to think of all the fittings. i can't speak for the 2003 but mine has fourteen that i counted not including the chain and the tie rod ends that i usually stuff some grease in

Old 07-19-2002, 09:54 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2003 is sonic blue?? that is awesome. I thought about getting blue plastic for my '99 instead of yellow, but maybe not now that they are from the factory like that. I like to be a little different, I guess. Can you post some photos? I'd like to see one.

SnowDrift

Quick Reply: Got my 2003 Scrambler 500 4X4 today