Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 trouble with EBS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently my sportsman has been moving forward without me pushing the gas when it is started and in gear. It also shifts hard. I talked to one guy and he said it could be the EBS belt.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Is this an easy fix?
Where can I find schematics for a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500?

Thank you

Old 07-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Have you inspected the belt? I would take a look at the primary clutch faces. I have heard and seen the EBS clutch wear some grooves next to the EBS one way clutch that cause the belt to engage at idle. The wear happens when using high gear when pulling loads slow. Plowing snow in high gear will also do it.

It could also be clutch alingment that just needs to be adjusted.

Are you looking for the electrical schematics? The Sportsman service manual has them along with the procedures for servicing the clutch. It it about $30 from the dealer.

If your going to have to replace the belt, try the 700 belt. I worked like a clutch kit in my HO!

Old 07-26-2002, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Could be several things. The belt could have gotten dirty and rough, causing it to engage at low rpms. Could also be mis aligned clutches which yield the same result.

What do you mean shifts hard? Does it engage hard? Or is it hart to shift into gear?

Old 07-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

It engages with a click, then starts moving forward. It is like it's always in first gear even when you don't hit the throttle. I'd like to look at the belt but have no idea how to get to it. Schematics aren't available on the web for Polaris. I'd hate to dig in with out them.

Old 07-27-2002, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Before diving into anything check your idle speed; if it's too high your clutch will engage causing it to push forward.
If you need to inspect the belt you will need to remove the floorboard on the left side of your quad; then remove the bolts and clips around the clutch cover and carefully remove the cover. Try not to disturb the gasket or it might be difficult to reseat the cover. Inspect the chivs and belt if there are no grooves in the chivs and the belt is above min spec (1 1/8" I think) reassemble in reverse order.

Old 08-02-2002, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I believe your clutch needs servicing I've seen about half a dozen with the same problem, there are some washers in the primary clutch that are worn out and it causes the machine to creep at an idle. If your dealer tells you that it needs a rebuild look into a whole new EBS kit that includes a new secondary c/w helix and spring, primary w/o weights and spring and also comes with a new belt. All this for the same price as buying a primary alone.(I can't figure that one out) After rebuilding my clutch once I heard about the kit, when it was time to do it again I put the kit in with h.o. weights and it made a huge difference. Hopefully this has been a help for ya, eh.

Old 08-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I purchased 2 - 2001 SP 500s. Both have minimum use (less than 100 miles and 30 hrs). On one machine I noticed bubbles in my antifreeze catch bottle and took in for check on compression leak. My dealer didn't answer my question on compression leak but informed me my clutch was worn out. Both machines have been used virtually side by side. I don't understand how this could happen.

I need a little help here! Is my dealer ripping me? What might have caused this much wear in such a little time? Neither of these machines have been used in difficult terrain. What should cost be to replace if entire EBS kit? How difficult is clutch rebuild and adjustment?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks David Hardy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2002, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I personally love everything about the polaris including the weight with one big exception, the pvt is just plain not up to par. I am from an area where to access camping areas you will put on about 100 km's one way in a weekend in sand. I bought new a 99 sp500 ebs and proceeded to put on 4500 km's my first year and found that I was always blowing belts. I rebuilt my primary clutch with a price of $400 can. Later I found out about the kit that was $600 can. I then put went to about 8500km's and needed another rebuild. I bought a new 02 h.o. and then replaced both clutches (kit)on the 99 500 at the same time. I have taken both quads on one trip the old one pulled the trailer up camping while the new one just itself. By misfortune of another rider the new h.o. had to pull a trailer back home along with the old quad. upon arrival at the trucks I couls smell the belt burning on the new one. took it in and the dealer said it was out of alignment. He adjusted,put a new belt in and sent me on my way. The next trip both quads again go and this time both pull identical trailer's with more weight on the old quad. It just didn't work right. I took it back to the dealer and he told me that the primary clutch was overheated and irrepairable and was waiting to hear back from polaris if it was approved for warranty. I was upset at this as I paid $$$ for 5 year extended warranty. I have put many km's on these tranny's and believe that this should not even be an issue, especially after only 500km's. I am not alone here in Fort McMurray with these problems, actually there is more than I'd care to admit. My dealer told me that I am not driving in low-range enough, well if that's the case then why does my old one pull no problem. He then said it is because we get so much use out our bikes comparitively speaking. I think polaris has a problem with their pvt system and also believe that they should honor there warrnty for these problems. Polaris DID warranty the clutch but now I am going to try some clutching changes. I know one thing, when I replace my old sp 500 and if polaris haven't worked out the bugs yet I WILL change brands. I have many friends here with ( hate to say it) grizzley's and prarie 650's and they seem to only change belts when they feel like it. I don't mind maintenance but the polaris pvt just doen't perform like the other brands belt drives. Sorry to ramble on about my problem's but thought you should have all the info not just half, anyway through my experience it was more beneficial to go with the kit. One clutch is the same price as the kit which includes a new belt. Rebuiling you will need special tools for or take it to the dealer anyway. It's your call but polaris did and is warranting ours up here, some have 1500 km's and are up to 1 year old. To me they should warranty yours too. hope this helps

Old 08-08-2002, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply Teamwhisky.

I'm in Mississippi and just finished a great 2 week backpack trip in Jasper. What beautiful country.

I agree, Polaris has a problem with this system and doesn't want to honor it. Their user manual states to use low gear only under 7 mph. It mentions nothing about hauling or slipping wheels. If you think about it, when would you ever use high gear? Only on dry dirt with no load! If you do this in accordance with the manual, you would then have to always be traveling at 7 mph or under except on dry no slip roads with no load. I am interested in others with this problem. Please advise. Thanks David Hardy - Mississippi[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]