Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rode Z400 yesterday, not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best bud just picked up a new yellow Z about a week ago, and we went for a ride yesterday. Of course I had to try it out. My first impressions were, "wow this thing is small" I'm 6'2 and it was WAY too small for me, but it is great for smaller riders. I also didn't like the clutch engagment, I am used to an auto but I didn't like the clutch on it, it seemed to grab too late for my taste. I didn't top it out, but the power is good from bottom up through every gear, very easy to wheelie, just punch the gas, but that was because my weight was in the back. The power is there and it lets you know it, but the power didn't amaze me at all. The suspension and handling was nothing great either, I took it on a couple jumps, high speed and sharp corners, nothing great. I think I got more air on my Mag 325, and it landed better, but, that is just because I am used to that quad.
Would I buy the Z, no, but not saying someone smaller wouldnt' like it, I'm looking for something a little bigger, something that handles better, jumps better, and just has all around better power.
I'm looking to buy a sport quad very soon, and I would like to try the predator, it sounds that It might fight my needs best.
Has anyone else ridin this quad and thinks the same?

Old 08-07-2002, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Z and the machine handles, jumps, and turns great. I have owned several performance quads from a raptor, 400ex, Quadzilla, 250 quadracer, and over 12 250r's. The Z is by far the best shifting quad available today. Can you say smooth. The power is much better once a pipe and rejet is performed. Not the fastest machine out there but the handling is about as good as it gets stock. My 250r is lighter but also requires more skill to race because you have to stay on the pipe unlike a four stroke. I have no big complaints with my Z at all. I jump the **** out of it and it hasn't let me down yet. Great overall quad. By the way I'm 5'11'' and 220 lbs. and it fits me fine.

Old 08-08-2002, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

Well, the shifter and brake seemed to be moved back too far for me as well. I didn't to think it has as much power as people made it out to be, and about the pipe, tried out a piped z, not much diffrence except it's louder.

Old 08-08-2002, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

You are comparing a 325 mag to a Z400?? Did you fall on your head? Check the sig to see the experience. Also, I'm 6'5" and it's pushing it, but it's not too small for me. You're used to riding the 325 M-1 Abrams tank.

Old 08-08-2002, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

No need to defend the Z400, he was just giving his opinion. I like the Z400 a lot but it does seem small after you hop off a Polaris, but what doesn't. I was pretty excited about the Z at first but now with the predator coming out the Z is losing its appeal to me.

Old 08-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you didn't like the clutch you definitely have not ridden too many manual machines, the Z400 is very smooth. I traded in a Scrambler 400X on the Z, It feels comfortable to me, Im 6'2" and 250. There is no comparison between the scrambler and the Z400 let alone your over weight/under powered mag325.

But then again, I suppose you can wheelie your 325 real easy too?!

Brilliant post 3210, you are in a league all your own.

ciao

Old 08-08-2002, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

I traded in a 60HP 2X4 Scrambler to get the Z, Not sure how anyone could say the Z was not powerfull.
The clutch is as good as they get, light pull, smooth and precise. Not sure what you were compareing it to, the non existant clutch lever on your quad?
Handling? To get a better handling quad you would have to buy a $12000 Cannondale.
Are you sure you actually rode one?

Old 08-08-2002, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

I am about 99.9% certain that is was a Z, considering it said, Z400 on the side. I am going by what I thought of the quad when I rode it, I am used to utilities, so maybe that is why it felt small, and by no means do you have any righ to start bashing me, or my quads because of my opinion, If I wanted a damn Z, I would have bought one, but because of the reasons stated above, I have chose to wait for the Predator, I ride 400ex's, 500 sportsman, 400 Xplorer, and just about every Suzuki made, It's the people like you who bash what I say, that makes me want to stop coming to these forums,
I used to ride a honda 250 dirtbike, and the clutch was better on it than the suzuki I thought, but that is my opinion, and really, I dont care about yours, and what you think about my opinion.

Old 08-08-2002, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

OK lets try to keep it friendly.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I rode a Z and was impressed with the power and smooth clutch. As far as size, I'm 6'2" also and it felt right. The raptor feels about the same. The Z and the Predator have very similar measurements. I'm afraid you will not like it either. It will be more powerful but not more comfortable.

Went by the dealer today to discuss some "details" about the TL Pred.500. While he was in Florida, they watched all the competition's quads break on the MX track, while the two Preds kept screaming around it for TWO HOURS!

Old 08-08-2002, 06:18 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

If your over 6 foot, Think the Z400 is small and wasnt impressed with the power theres only one bike for you. DS650 BAJA.

Baja is made for a bigger rider. If your over 6 foot and have some weight to you it handles like a dream in wood trail and in MX situations. Its the 125pound kids that ride it and give it the bad rep.

The Ds also has the smoothest engine with the best Exhaust note on any atv. Thing sounds like a indy car crossed with a nascar.

The Quality of the DS is also very very High. Its your choice. I was not happy with the Z for the same reasons. I also thought it was a little shotty but when you look at a lot of sport bikes they all look that way in a way to save weight i guess.

Good luck in your desision. What ever you choose im sure you will love it but i promise you the DS650 is a bike that you and your friends will just stare at all day becasue of how good it looks, you will love every minute of ownership.

Quick Reply: Rode Z400 yesterday, not impressed