Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Let the Bashing begin!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. guys, the first magazine test is out on the Predator. Dirtwheels (assuming you want to call it a magazine, and not fish wrap) did their test on a pre production model. Wow, what a fair way to test a machine! Test the pre production model. If I were Polaris, I wouldn't even invited any of the "Hi-Torque" idiots to the party. They bashed the front shocks, lack of reverse (wow, who knew that was coming?) and the plastic around the gas tank. I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait until they do a shootout with a regular production machine. I'm sure it will be fair (yeah, right!) and mostly devoted to bashing on the Polaris. The funny thing is, that they didn't complain about the weight as they were supposed to. Funny, I guess that no one mentioned it to them or they couldn't "misquote" facts from last year's model.

Oh well.....

Old 08-08-2002, 08:19 PM
Range Rover

It probably wasn't red enough for them.

Ronnie

Old 08-08-2002, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

the only reason dirt wheels lower the grade, is because its a Polaris and they dont want to see them come in with a new sport atv and have it be the best the first time. One little thing on it that might not be right, and they will make a big deal about it. Like the yamaha kodiak 450 review; they are all happy that they have a push button for the 4x4 and polaris has had that all along and they have never said a good comment about it really. and they said this "with the new locker, you can go through so much more when all four tires are pulling" but they have never said how the yamahas have lacked traction when they used to have 3 wheel drive!!!!!

Old 08-08-2002, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, they said the shifting had a little "notchiness", what ever that means.

You know, I honestly trust all the people on this site to give me a better review of a machine than these hi-torque guys. This year, I bought a Honda 250 EX, the supposed best beginner sport quad out there. Geez was I ever disapointed. The thing pushes a lot more in turns than either of my Polaris quads. The ergonomics were wonky, it wouldn't wheelie worth a darn, the suspension sucked and it was very tippy. The motor didn't lack power, but I have gotten used to hitting the thumb throttle and going. The guys at hi-torque also said it had front drum brakes for 2003. Well, I must have gotten a different model because it has disc brakes on it.

Old 08-08-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know I used to have a 250ex and after I got used to it the tippiness and the pushing in corners disappeared. Granted I was practically sitting on my inside hill going around a corner with the rest of my weight leaning on the inside hand grip but I did get it to slide well after getting used to it. imho of course.

Old 08-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Dirt,

Don't get me wrong, my KIDS love it. I just couldn't get used to it. Besides, I wanted to buy them a bullet proof machine and the 250EX is that.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

the 250EX was never intended for a full size adult.

<< This year, I bought a Honda 250 EX, the supposed best beginner sport quad out there. >>

that's right beginner quad, i know you're not a beginner.
i also don't believe a word that the mags say anymore, but they tested a pre-productiom DS650 when it first came out too.

i know this dosen't hurt the performance, but the plastic around the tank area is a bit choppy, but they likely blew it way out of proportion. polaris has powerful motors (just hard to realize, but it's cause the 4 bys weigh soo much) and the predator isn't much heavier than the raptor, Z-400, 400EX, so it should really rip! i hope it does so i'll see something else in the winners circle other than the 400EX/250R.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Mike
When I get mine in Nov. I will give a very honest review of the Predator. I like Polaris, but if you look at my sig you will see that I'm not brand loyal. I buy what fits me best and me alone. And If I don't like it I will tell you. If you remember when the sp700 came out, I openly said that I wasn't impressed with it, so I will tell it as it is.
As far as DW review, all you have to do is count the adds Polaris has in there mag, that will answer why they will nit pick the Predator. I only wish I did't have to wait so long. At least it's not as long as it took the Rincon to come out.

Old 08-08-2002, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

u tell em Mike....i agree totally [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-08-2002, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

C'mon people, Only certain companies can make &quot;low tech pushrod engines&quot;(except they're tilted forward for a lower center of gravity in Honda's case) and not offer reverse(it's a high performance machine, who needs reverse?as long as it's a Honda) They are always quick to mention the cost of a Cannondale,(wich should be a factor in any shoot out), but they will never mention cost when comparing the Rincon(what $600 more?) with a Prairie 650 or Grizz or what ever. I can honestly say, that I think my Kawasaki has a higher quality feel than my Polaris, but I can only wish Kawasaki had half the drive or desire to offer new models and innovations like Polaris does. Keep up the good work Polaris!!

Quick Reply: Let the Bashing begin!!!!!