Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 4x4's

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2000, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading these posts it is interesting the different ways people use thier scramblers. Some drop weight off of them, put smaller tires, pipes, clutches, etc to make them faster. Others put larger mud tires and winches on them to make them perform better in the mud. Still others put racks, gun carriers, hitches, etc. to make the quad more utility orientated. If you think about it this is the only 4x4 quad that makes this possible. You don't see anyone putting smaller tires on the wolverine or griz to make it more of a sport quad. You don't see many foreman's tearing up the sand dunes. You don't see very many Banshee or 400 Ex's ripping through the deep mud. Only the crossbreed scrambler 4x4's give you the best of both worlds. Anyone with a scrambler 4x4 please post what you have done to your scrambler.

Jeremy 99 500 HO
stock engine
racks, hitch, and gun rack

Old 03-21-2000, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Today I went to sign the purchase agreement for my Scrambler 400. I finally got to try it. I was worried that the 500 would not have enough ``pep`` for the price so I got the 400. Holy s***! When I got on this machine I was expecting something like my 400Xplorer...but a bit more ``peppy`` as I like to say. I put the throttle half way in and the front end flew up. Went about 100 yards really fast! I am not exagerating when I say it made me dizzy!! I have one question for the 500 riders...is the 500 a lot less noisy than the 400?
As for extras I added on the mud protection front and rear(skirts)plus front and rear racks. ``MyScrambler`` gave me a great idea and I added the CV Boot protectors from the sportman 500 for added protection. I also put on a speedometer, mirror, gun rack and hand guards...plus a gas can holder for the rear. As for the performance mods...I was not aware of the stock power so I am going to get used to this new style of riding and then get the mods. I also put 22 inch Bearclaws in the back as suggested by most scrambler riders. I did buy the 26 inch mudrunners for my Xplorer plus a whole load of utility stuff.

Well thats about it for now...can't wait to get delivery and go way up north in the woods!

Old 03-21-2000, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah Scramblers are nice machines I should be getting my new one very soon I can't wait.

Old 03-22-2000, 11:36 AM
Trailblazer

The 400 is a little more noisy than the 500. The big difference is the KIND of noise. The 500 makes a growling type of noise. The 400 kind of makes a squieling type of noise. When you hit the throttle they are both noisy, but the 400 a little more so.

Xplor, where did you get the mud skirts for mud protection for you scram? Do you like the bearclaws? Did you leave your front tires stock?

Jeremy Hughes
500 HO

Old 03-22-2000, 01:56 PM
Range Rover

Jeremy,

Great point. The flexibility of these machines is unequalled. I've been adding snot, via Aaen, with the low end much improved and a 42 mm carb coming to increase top end. I think I will stay with the stock SIZE tires in the end. The rims are all bashed up from my woods riding...so smaller tires are out. Bigger tires would probably make me a little more sluggish handling, which is also out. 6ply tires and stock sized rims are in my future.

Anyway, again, very good point about the variable uses seen here.

Rich

Old 03-22-2000, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with the above post " The flexibility of these machines is unequalled " and it depends on where and how you ride will influence the modifications that you will install.

I ride with mostly sport bikes ( Honda 300ex,s / 400ex's and Yamaha Warriors / Banshee's ) hence deep mud and rough conditions are usually avoided all together by the group. I have chosen to make my bike a little sportier with out totally ruining the 4wd experience. Here are the mods -

K&N Airfilter
Aaen Megaphone Exhaust
Aaen Roller Clutch Kit
Dayco Hiperformance Belt
Mikuni 42mm Flatside TMX Taperbore Carb
ITP Holeshot XTC's on Douglas .190's
Fly Racing Handlebars
Hotseat Billet Aluminum Handle Clamp
Hotseat Chromoly Steering Post
Aaen Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge
HPD Analog Tach
Aaen Adjustable Steering Dampener

The bike has maybe 12 more HP than stock. I reduced the weigh by about 20 lbs or more with the mods and by removing the head light assembaly and tool box. The handling is much better than before due to better tires, reduced weight and a wider stance. The stock tires were soft, had mild tread and was kind of roundish across the surface. The new tires are hard, they have an aggressive tread and they are flat across the surface. What i like about that is that the *** end slides around the corner real nice in 2wd but on the strait it digs in and gets superior traction unlike before.

Chris Picciotto
99 Scrambler 500

Old 03-22-2000, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

my 00 500 scrambler has full skid plates and front and rear racks. I have a question can you put the polaris rear gas tank holder on and have the rear rack on at the same time?thanks

Old 03-22-2000, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

Chris how do you like the Aaen pipe and clutch kit? I have heard all sorts of stories about modifying the 500. Can you really feel a big difference in performance.

Jeremy 99 500 HO

Old 03-22-2000, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Jeremy. I based my purchase of the rear Bearclaws on the experience of about 15 guys on these forums. I went stock size to save performance. In front I leaft the stock tires as suggested by many. Go with the mass as they say!If I notice that I can not follow the Xplorers and SP500's in the deep stuff...well I will probably buy Mudrunners 24" rear and 25" fronts. I am only getting delivery in about a week and a half so I havn't tried it yet. Only the test ride. I purchased the front and rear skirts at the dealer...I think they are from Polaris. Pretty expensive...about 300$ canadian which is about 200$ U.S. But they look awesome!
As for Suzu's question I also got the racks and ordered a gas rack...I don't know if the gas rack is from Polaris but I know it fits. (2 gallon)

Later all.

Old 03-23-2000, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

Jeremy, with the K&N filter, pipe, carb, roller clutch kit, heavy duty belt and proper tuning it's a big difference. Any one of those items installed by itself offers little improvement. I'm not quite fininshed tuning the clutch. I had to put tuning on hold because unfortunately i work on my bike outside and it's cold out around here ( North NJ ). Clutch tuning is an art and i'm still getting better.

The throttle response is instant and acceleration is hard with RPM's hitting 7000 RPM's out of the hole. I also have a variflow system which allows you to adjust the air to fuel ratio on the fly. The installation instructions are vague so i haven't installed it yet.

I kind of wish i had a machine shop or something because i have all kinds of ideas on improving the PVT system and trans.

Chris Picciotto
99 Scrambler 500 ( Waiting for that Big Bore Kit )

Quick Reply: Scrambler 4x4's