Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sprocket or Chain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 04:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an intermittent clicking noise on my 2000 Scrambler 500. I thought it might have been the chain guard, but I removed the chain guard and the clicking was still there. With the chain guard removed, the chain seems to "click" once every time it revolves, in the same spot, and visibly shift a little bit to the left, and then settle back down. There is no visible damaged to the rollers or the chain in that area. It will not not click when in reverse. It doesn't seem to click at higher speeds (over 12 mph or so) when moving forward. Is this more likely the front sprocket or the chain? What are some good aftermarket chains and sprockets, and how hard are they to replace?

Old 08-31-2002, 06:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You may have a "frozen" link, or maybe your master link clip isn't fully on. Or maybe you have some debris lodged. Give it a good close look over and try to isolate which link is doin' the clicking. Lots of places sell good quality 520 O-ring chains. Also changing out that front sprocket for a Sunstar, or other aftermarket unit is advisable.

It's not hard to change the components at all. You can "break" open a chain using the flat of a plier to unlock the master-link. Your front sprocket is only held on with a snap-ring. Make sure to liberally lube the trans output shaft with a long lasting lube like anti-sieze. Back to the chain, I keep a little chain breaker handy. Sometimes it's handy to use to press the master-link apart once the locking clip is off.

Ken

Old 08-31-2002, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

the same thing happend on my trailboss only it was more of a knocking sound. looked all over the quad and couldnt find a thing. ended up being a kink in the chain. i lubed the cr p out of it with more of a oil base chain lube ,but still safe for o-rings. i now lube the chain more often. and every time after being in water.

Old 09-01-2002, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

My 00 TBoss Is doing the same thing. I jacked it up and supported the rearend, started it up and put it in forward gear. Give it a little gas and it started clicking everytime the master link gets to the front sprocket. I sprayed the hell out of it with chain lube and it still does it. Guess I need a new chain huh?

Old 09-01-2002, 02:06 AM
Range Rover

Thanks a ton for the info guys! I lubed it REAL good and it seems to have stopped for now. I'm still going to replace that front sprocket though, now that I know it's an easy swap.

Old 09-01-2002, 09:36 AM
Range Rover

Also look for tight spots. Jack the rear end up and rotate the wheels while watching the chain slack. You can usually see if the chain tension changes while it is rolling. This will either be dry and just sticking or it could be that the chain has stretched more or less in one area than another. This is called "tight spots".

I personally don't care for the stock Polaris chains. Polaris likes them, I don't.

Old 09-02-2002, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

mine was doing it until i got an HPD chain tensioner for concentric drive system,it really last longer sprockets life,while looking for new sprocket it is good thinking about maybe changing gear ratio,it is the cheapest way to get more what you want for,bottom end or top end speed,sunstar are good...