Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Minnesota Riders Voice Your Opinion!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< I believe if you read the law correctly, it's meant to be a cross country travel ban. This is that form of riding which is basically &quot;free reign&quot;, ride where you want. What is being proposed is a more thoroughly developed system of trails....and if we can get people to STAY on those trails.
>>

I just was informed about this post and wanted to say that I think u hit the nail on the head Ken. In addition it is okay to ride in ditches in the state of MN, and according to the regulations there are no dates that this is permitted or prohibited unless mandated by the city/county juristiction. However, ATV's may not ride along the side of public roads/highways within the 7-County metro area.

Also, Bartlett sorry to hear about your troubles as I have seen the same. It sucks that so few can ruin evertyhing for so many.

Later all and ride safe.

PS- This is the most concentrated number of MN riders I have seen. If anyone wants to go hit some trails send me an email or give me a ring (651)335-1621

Scott

Old 09-23-2002, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

snowmobilers/atvers/hunters/anyone that wants to use public land!!!
VOTE FOR COLEMAN for us senate over Wellstone, that repeatedly sides with enviromental extreamists that discourage recreational use on public lands &amp; would block recreation in MN and across the nation!!!!!!!!!!

this is a direct quote out of an article in the oct/nov 2002 Snowtech magazine.

Old 09-26-2002, 07:04 PM
Range Rover

Scootter you are wrong. The ditch ban is in effect in the agricultural zone of Minnesota from April 1st to August 1st. Cities, towns, and counties may further regulate the operation of RMV's within their jurisdiction, but this law is in effect, in general, unless posted otherwise(sort of a 'closed unless posted open' deal)so check with your county/town to see if they omitted this law. The ONLY general exception to the law is for ATVs that are licensed and being used for agricultural use.

For info straight from the source, go the MNDNR homepage and look at the 2002-2003 ATV regulations handbook(you'll need acrobat reader to view it). There is a map that shows the agricultural zone boundaries on page 4. Info regarding the Ag zone ditch ban is on pages 27+28.

A little more info:
A valid drivers license is required to operate anywhere on road rights-of-way(shoulders, and both inside and outside slopes of the ditch). It is also required to even cross a road.

Violations of ATV laws are misdemeanors, so don't take them too lightly.

Old 09-26-2002, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

Seeing posts about McGrath brings back memories. Unloaded there on my first ride and rode Soo Line down to Red Top. Hooked for life.

I also ride in WI alot because my 13 year old girl can ride the 250EX there. Love the Danbury area.

Old 09-27-2002, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

Bartlett,

Watch out for my daughter on her Yellow 250. I let her lead so she doesn't have to eat my dust.

We like to take our break at the Oak Ridge Inn. Good soup.