Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 01:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]I was wondering if any body else was experiencing problems with there transmissions. It appears that I have way too much backlash or slack in the transmission, causing the drive shaft to clang and clunk when crawling over rocks and loading or unloading the engine. I also had this machine slip out of park making a ratcheting noise while parked on an incline a couple of times, but have been unable to get it to repeat this problem. This machine is brand new and is in the shop for this problem now, but I have a feeling the dealer is going to tell me there's nothing wrong with it. Any help from anybody experiencing similar problems would be appreciated. Thanks. Tim....
2002 700 twin
2000 sportsman 500
1991 350L 4x4 trailboss

Old 09-10-2002, 07:36 AM
Trailblazer

my sp700 made all kinds of clunking from transmission while going up or down steep rocky terrain,,i have read where most of them do this,,also they clunk when you take off,,,although i have traded my sp700 after having it 4 months for a sp500ho....my 700 ate too much gas,,would barely do 50 mph,,very unstable after hitting 45 mph,,leaking antifreeze,got if fixed started leaking when i got it home,,so i went with a sure thing the 500ho,,,im glad i got rid of it,,the 700 will be a great machine in a few yrs...

Old 09-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Range Rover

theres is a "gap" between the helix and the rollers in the secondary clutch.

the slower you go the wider the gap gets, and the faster you go the smaller it gets. and thus at slower speeds it is most noticeable.

if the engine is is trying to drive the drivetrain the gap shifts to one side. if the engine is trying to slow down the drivetrain (due to the ebs system) the gap shifts to the otherside.

to prove this, go at a good pace and apply the brakes until you slow down a good bit then apply the gas again, there should be a little sound.

Now, get up to a good speed, and let the ebs slow you down without using the brake at all, then when you get down to a slow speed hit the gas again, there should be a pretty good clank.

the first senerio has the engien driving the drivetrain, and then the drive train slowing faster than the engine, wich keeps the gap on the same side.

the second senerio had the engine driving the drivetrain, and then the engine moving slower than the drive train, wich shifts the gap to the other side.

But anyways, it's normal and nothing to worry about, and yes the gap has to be there because is gets smaller at high speeds, wich is nessisary.

Old 09-10-2002, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 700 does the same thing It's Normal. You get use to it and now I don't even pay any attention to it. I am very happy with mine lots of power and will climb over and through any thing. The only problem I had was my water punp cover did leak. But was fixed and never leaked again.The slipping out of park might be a linkage adjustment have that checked. GOOD LUCK and GOOD RIDING John

Old 09-11-2002, 01:07 AM
Range Rover

You can get the rapid reaction secondary for ebs