Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 trail boss won't start with starter but will start with pull rope

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went riding today and when I first started up my machine evrything was fine. I warmed it up and then shut it down to get my riding gear on. When I went to restart it it wouldn't start wth the starter button. I think the switch is working because I can hear what I beleive is the selanoid making a clicking sound. The headlight won't work but the dash lights work but are on the dim side. I checked the terminals and other wires that I could get to and it still won't start with the switch. Since I wanted to go riding I went ahead and used the rope start and went riding. While the engine is running the headlight will work but would get dim as the rpm's increased, same goes for the dash lights. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Stock atv batteries are notorious for being junk. If you've got a meter, try checking the battery. Wal-Mart sells replacements that seem to last longer at a pretty reasonable price. I'd suggest investing in a trickle charger also. Hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2002, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

My friends did the exact same thing twice so far now. He has to pull the starter off and take it apart. He stated the starter just locks up. I didn't get to see it, just what he told me. This maybe what you have to do or replace the starter.

Old 09-26-2002, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds like either the battery or a bad connection. If you have checked all of your connections, than I would say the battery.

Old 09-26-2002, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

The same thing happened to me on my 500 not long ago - I resorted to pull starting for a while. I didn't notice the lights dimming as the rev's increased as you mentioned. Things to check as you know - the battery for sure, if it's OK you may be popping for a starter motor soon.

On my 500 I had the clicking solenoid you mentioned - I switched batteries from one of my other Polaris' which didn't change anything. I took the right side case off to see if something was hosed in there (your starter motor engages an automotive-style 'bendix' which kicks the starter gear into position to turn the motor over). The 'bendix' comes out in an assembly - go ahead and pull it and soak it in oil while you have it out making sure it works OK (holding both ends of the shaft and twisting should advance the drive gear when you turn it one direction and do nothing when you turn it in the other direction). With the bendix out hit the starter button and my guess is you will see / hear no difference - the solenoid will click but nothing else will happen. If you are lucky enough for the starter to spin, you may need to replace your bendix - the starter should be fine. Anyway, grease the bendix journals and return the bendix to its working position and button up the side case again.

At this point I would almost bet the problem is your starter - have you ever made a submarine out of your Polaris? The starter motor has a shaft seal that fails quickly and lets water / moisture into the starter motor - this kills the needle bearings on the starter and doesn't do much good for the brushes and other components inside either. Check out this guy for a refurb starter, Rick Ritter says Stocker runs a respectable business: http://www.stockers.com I ended up buying a new starter from my dealer for ~$270. Make sure you check around on starter prices - one dealer here in TX was $100 higher than another for the same starter motor...

It is probably easier to pull the starter if you remove the PVT side case on the left (which I did). This allows you to flex the plastic drive belt housing enough to get the bottom bolt loose enough to pull the starter - it has two bolts holding it on - remove the battery lead and the two bolts (I didn't completely remove the bottom one - I left it in and worked the starter out with it loose) and then wiggle and cajole (the starter has a good-sized O-ring where it passes through the right side case) the starter out of the right side case.

With the starter and battery out of the ATV, you can carefully touch the starter motor case to the negative side of your battery and connect the positive lead to the starter post to see if you can get the starter to spin. BE CAREFUL the starter generates tons of torque and it will twist right out of your hands so, again, be careful if you try this. Don't run the starter more than a few seconds. If it spins you have other problems and your starter is probably fine. If that's the case you're out of my experience level.

Good luck!