Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 = Very Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my Sportsman 700 out of the shop. It had been in for a little over a month waiting for parts from Polaris. Last month it ran out of coolant (very nice). This caused the engine to overheat which melted a plastic cover on top of the engine. This caused engine oil to go everywhere (also very nice). The best part is that I could not read the engine temperature warning becaused the display was fogged up (an especially nice feature). I also reported to my dealer that the top front cover buzzes badly at certain RPM ranges. They looked at it and said that maybe I could squirt some silicon glue under the cover to help keep it quite. I thought, great idea and not too bad of a solution (for the 7 grand I just spent on this thing).

When I left with my ATV this afternoon my dealer told they were not sure how much, if any of this would be covered under warrenty (a nice finishing touch).

I've been riding ATV's since the first ATC 90 was introduced. Through the years I've owned Honda, Kawasaki and Polaris. In fact, I currently own a Sportsman 500 in addition to the superduper 700. I had planned to trade in the 500 for another 700. But no... I don't think so. I plan to vote with my dollars and I'm voting for a different brand altogether. I'm looking at the Yamaha Grizzy 660. After I trade in my 500 and if I like the 660, I'll be trading off my 700 too...or maybe the new Honda...hmmm...lots of choices out there.

I think the sadest part of all this, is that Polaris and their dealer network knew and continues to know about the issues and problems with the 700. Did anyone drop me a line to say "hey, we've got an issue with some of our 700's leaking coolant. Bring it in and we'll check it out for you"? Nope.

An earlier posting asked if anyone had sent a letter to Polaris informing them of the problems with the 700.

They know. They test their machines, they hear reports from their dealer network, they read the online postings and forums like this one, oh they know.

They've just chosen not to let their customers know.

Buyer beware.

Old 09-27-2002, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Stop crying you damn fool. It's fixed now, ride it. How much do you want for it? I'll take it off your hands but I won't give much for that piece of junk.

Old 09-27-2002, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

I see we have another child up past his bedtime.......... What a damn shame!!

Old 09-27-2002, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

Damn.... you did get a lemon

sell it and buy the p650

Old 09-27-2002, 03:16 AM
Trailblazer

All jokes aside JeffA, A few of the guy's I ride with have had the same problems with their sportsmans.... over heating and all the other neat little polaris tricks...
I would pitch a bitch if I was you,,,like you said you paid $7000.00 for it and would like to ride the S.O.B. a few years without having to put it back in the shop...
i mean what the hell are these people thinking, 7 grand is pocket change ? they better remember, we are the customers....news travels fast,, and alot faster if its bad news........
Nailer.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2002, 08:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have came across a couple of disgruntled 700 owners. Prospective buyers wait!

Old 09-27-2002, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

man guys, cut the guy some slack. if i had that kind of issue with my quad, i'd be upset too.
is it so bad in here that when someone has problems with there quad and gripe about it that they should be crusified?
i would think if i was looking for a new quad, and i read stuff like this and alot of others on a certain quad, i would be thankful for the heads up, so i dont get screwed. the only way to get things looked at is if the bike doesn't sell. the makers will overhaul a quad if noone is willing to buy it couse of its flaws.
i feel bad for ya jeff, and i hope they step up and cover the damage. hopefully the fixes will hold, and you can ride it hard and often.
as for the grizzly, its a good bike. it to has had flaws, but have been adressed in the 03 models, and yamaha has fixes for the 02's.

my pictures

Old 09-27-2002, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry that I ruffled some feathers, but $7000 is a lot of money to me. The intention of my post was to inform others to whom $7000 is also a lot of money. Stating the truth about my experience with the 700 will only help to make this machine better. And that's good for everybody.

Old 09-27-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

hey man its all right we all make mistakes, just dont buy polaris agian! yeah cut the guy some slack,polaris are ****

Old 09-27-2002, 09:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What are you doing here if you dont like polaris.GET OUT!!Polaris is not $h!t.Yes they have there problems just like any other brand but nothing is perfect.You all should know that the first year is Never good for a new model.Go back to your own forum and leave us HAPPY Polaris owners be.Why do people think they can go to another forum and bash them.WHO CARES!We dont want your opinion.Its like going to a rap concert and saying you dont like blacks.NOT COOL.So grow up,ride what you want,and have fun.Thats what fourwheeling is for.ALL FUN not a p!$$!ng contest.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 700 = Very Disappointed