Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 = Very Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 09:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went for a ride today....i'm pi$$ed!
my '02 700- water pump leaking.
my '03 700- water pump leaking!(just 15 miles on her)

may God have mercy on Polaris!

Monday i will bring them to be repaired.......Tuesday i will trade one for a Jap model.....don't know what.....Rubi/Rancher/Kawi650/Kawi360...i just don't need to be Polaris's GUINEA PIG!

ALL of my other Polaris models over the years have been trouble-free until now.

i've read SOOOOOOO much negative about the 700's and now it's MY TURN!

quite frankly, i'm strongly concidering cancelling my order for the new Sportsman600!

thanks for listening.....it felt good to get this off my chest.

out for now,
-MT

Old 09-28-2002, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

Polaris should really do something about that waterpump cover leaking problems, u would think they fixed it for 2003.... there could only be problems on the 700 not the 600, you never know about these new engines.

Old 09-28-2002, 10:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes i was directing the comments to wheelinforlife so if anyone took offense to what i said than im sorry.I just dont like it when people from other forums come here and start bashing polaris.It is ignorant and childish!!So i apologize to all that i offended that belongs to the polaris forum.AND FOR THE REST!!!GET LOST WE DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK!!
Hey JEFF A hope everything works out for you dude!

Old 09-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW Thanks for the comment OFFRDER15!

Old 09-29-2002, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

mtpockets,

Man I'm sorry to hear you having these problems all at once. I can't believe the 03 has the same crappy water pump cover. That should have been addressed since there were so many 02s leaking. I took my cover to the dealer who filed and sanded it down, using a flat marble surface to get it perfect. No more problems (so far, fingers crossed) I looked at a blue 700 last night, saw that they put a little 10 cent bracket on the upper radiator hose to hold it away from the vertical frame that cut through mine. So, it appears they are trying to correct things, but the water pump cover should have been changed. Actually, it should have been recalled for this year. So should the radiator hose bracket.
I really know where you're coming from, as you know I've had nothing but problems with mine. There have been many times I wanted to bail and get something else. But I don't know which way to turn! I don't like the Grizzly at all, and while I like the Prairie 650, I know I'd miss the ground clearance and the rear IFS. Maybe they'll put it on soon and then they'd be awesome! I wish I had just gone with a 500 HO. Now they come with the good tires, and I never seem to hear of the problems like we have with the 700s. Anyway, I have decided to stick with the 700, through thick and thin for better or worse. I just watch it real close.
Best of luck to you.

Old 09-29-2002, 09:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Northstar2,
how did you like the BLUE 700?
i like it!
one is sitting on my dealer's showroom and it looks mean!
if my dealer can straighten-out my problems on the '03, maybe the '02 sp700 will have to go![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
i agree with you.....i'm gonna stick it out with Polaris for now. i think i over-reacted. after all, this has been my first serious problem since i bought my first Polaris in 1995.

we'll see how good my dealer is with this water pump stuff! LOL

out for now,
-MT

Polarisdudee, i think the water pump is the same on the 600 as the 700.....

Old 09-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

I did more than over-react a few times, I've blown my top!
I really like the blue, but I thought the decal package looked kind of cheap compared to the emblems on the 02. I didn't really care for the color of the rack extenders either. Chrome would look better, or maybe a matching blue. I can't say as the powdercoated red suspension parts did much for me either, I don't really know why.
Can anyone tell me what happened to the yellow ones? I have seen two yellow 700s, really sharp looking, but I noticed on Polaris' web site the 700 and 600 are supposedly not offered in yellow. What gives? Somebody should tell Polaris.
I think I'm going to get a yellow SP400 for the wife before long. I wouldn't mind getting a leftover 02 if I could save some money, but they are going for the same or more than the 03 that has real tires.

Old 09-30-2002, 06:54 PM
Range Rover

i also only heard of a few yellow 700's, i think there a LE sportsman 700twin.

Old 09-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

here's an UPDATE on the water pump issue.
i looked at 3 '03 sp700's today.
2 had the 'ribbed-edge' bracket holding on the black water pump cover.(same as my '02) the last one, production date 9/02, had a flat, wide bracket holding on the black water pump cover.

so it looks to me like Polaris has addressed the issue with a flat, wide, sturdier looking bracket. i hope to hell it works!

i hope this makes some sence. i don't know how else to describe it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

BTW, my '03 700 also has the old-style rib-like bracket so it makes sence the damn thig leaks like my '02.

Staying Faithful and Hopeful,
-MT

Old 10-01-2002, 07:34 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am a new and reluctant 700 owner. I was definitely going to ride red. I have had great service with my snowmobile so I elected to buy a 4wheeler thru the same shop. I am very impressed with the product so far and hope the cooling problems dont occur on mine. Keep us posted on what happens good or bad.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 700 = Very Disappointed