Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

predator hop up

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 07:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default predator hop up

well i've seen a pred engine apart,and have rode one of the pre production ones.

and there seems to be lots of room for a bigger piston,and more radical cams.

i know most piston makers will do custom pistons if ya order between 4-8 sets.

anyone fancy a 600 predator?

the ports seem to have a decent shape for a stock quad with lots of vavle area and a good clover shaped squishband. Soo the only head work would be mild grinding and cleaning.
a 42mm carb should flow good nuff.
the header seems to be fairly decent for a stock design.
the airbox is very nice, lots of volume and filter area, with a nice taper all the way to the carb

but the muffler, and airbox inlet look to be a bit restrictive, wich isn't to hard to fix.
(atleast the air intake tube is pretty high up, and less prone to ingestwater, because god knows as soon as they come out i'll have one kook in my shop on some troy lee predator with 28in vamps on it..)

the clutch uses 6 coil springs, and i forgot how many plates but looks and feels pretty stout, as does the tranmission gears.

anyone know of any performance part developement going on?

Old 10-15-2002, 10:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default predator hop up

Hey Mech, the clutch is an 8 disc unit....as for mod parts, the candles are burning, and the gears are turnin'..hehe.

Ken

Old 10-16-2002, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default predator hop up

Well, until the production units are available so the head can be taken off and put on a Flow bench and the cam can be taken off to check the specs, not much one can do till then.

I'm sure there is going to be quite a bit of improvement to be made with the head. I have yet to hear of or see a stock 4-stroke head that couldn't use a pretty good making over. A higher comp piston and a better cam will always be a definite, not to mention atleast a slip-on too if the head pipes are a decent size. Though the ceramic head pipes will reduce the exhaust gasses quite a bit.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default predator hop up

Hey modquad!!!

Tall us more about your 400!!!

I am buiding one and want to make a dragger out of it, but ya know the weight is always a concern on these machines.

Thanks!!

Chris Rowe
trborowe@mounet.com

Old 10-16-2002, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default predator hop up

From how much this predator is already been publisized, i bet their will be a pretty good aftermarket for this machine. If it does hold up well id think it will be almost or with the Z. Looks like a promising machine...

Old 10-16-2002, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default predator hop up

if any aftermarket are interested,titanium valves would be a great mod to this engine,race mapped cdi box,pistons heads and cams.

Old 10-16-2002, 07:20 PM
Range Rover
Default predator hop up

the ports on the head i saw impressed me.

looked like a real good shape to me..

and the casting was very good.(not thats a first,,but it was a preproduction..)

Old 10-16-2002, 11:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default predator hop up

Hey TR, it's a HPD race mod, 15.5 dome, ATV8(new HPD pipe),no starter/solenoid or battery(runnin' a capacitor), titanium wheel studs/lower trans mount/and various other places. 39 and 42 mm carbs (depends what's goin' on), v-force II's,Banshee nerfs, Hot Seat 2.5 stretched chromoly swingarm, chromoly steering post, chromoly a-arms. HPD custom shock/struts/springs. HPD roller clutch, finishing stages of a aux clutch air intake/cooler box. There's other things I'm forgetting.....just a hobby.

Ken

Old 10-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default predator hop up

Well how does it run???

Compared to like a modified banshee for example??

I am building mine to drag race and can run with the banshees, but cant take them out of the hole.

I am running the same motor mods as you but plan on adding a roller secondary, getting the flywheel lightened, and adding the swingarm, a-arms.

How much do you think your bike weighs now????

I still dont have my motor completely right yet, but it sure does feel good!!!

Thanks!!

Chris Rowe
trborowe@mounet.com

Old 10-25-2002, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default predator hop up

Sounds promising you cant always be certain but it seems like the homework was done for the predator. I heard problems with the brakes in the dirtwheels issue a few months back but things of that nature can be fixed. Aftermarket for this quad will be big. This quad has had the most interest in a long time compared to other quads. The z400 was a big issue but i think the predator beat it out. Anyone who winds up with a predator let us know how you like it

Quick Reply: predator hop up