Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HPD motor on!!! Now to put my scrambler 400 on a diet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 05:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPD motor on!!! Now to put my scrambler 400 on a diet!!!

Ok guys, I finally got my HPD race mods on and want to take some weight off now.

Can anyone give me a list of things to change or take off?? Anybody have any ideas on how to lighten the frame???

My bike is a 4x4 so I am gonna by taking that off.

Thanks in advance!!!

Chris Rowe
trborowe@mounet.com

Old 10-16-2002, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

You can drop about 15 lbs if you change to the Ultra-light battery from HPD.
I relocated mine up to the front. Up where the oil injection container used to be.
The oil injection container when full probably weighs 8-10 lbs. So get rid of that.
On the frame, get rid of the floor boards for some
nurf bars or you can cut most of the metal away and drill bigger holes threw the
floor boards instead.

The battery is pricey but I like the clean look it gives if you remove the battery
and metal bracket!

Old 10-16-2002, 11:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Like Talon said, the battery works great. Mine lasted around 2 years. You can also run a capacitor (2oz) if you're not gonna run your starter. The WB unit is a 4800 microferad @50volts. You can get these at an electronics outlet for around $4. Watch the polarity (+ -) markings on top.

Ken

Old 10-17-2002, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

get rid of the stock tires and wheels get alum. wheels saves weight.

get alum handle bars

aftermarket swingarm

Old 10-17-2002, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys!!!

Anobody ever try the HS handlebars???

What do you think the wieght could go down to by adding(or taking off) these parts???

I am buiding this thing to drag and am gonna shave my plastic as well.

THe bike runs very well now--I can run with my shops race bike(440, monster reed cage, etc..) and my bike is a 4x4 with stock bore, and ther parts changed except the motor, carb, reeds, and clutch mods.
But I am still having trouble taking manual bikes(raptors, shees) out of the hole. Most of them are launching in second gear against the revlimiter. I think that I need to work on my clutching some more, b/c the bike either bogs coming out or wheelies.

Any other ideas that you can share would greatly be appreciated!!!!

Chris

Old 10-17-2002, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

Try using the violet primary spring and violet secondary, S-55 weights and a 44/38 helix, then hold on. This set up on a HPD race motor will make it fly or at least it did on mine.

Jay

Old 10-17-2002, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

a 400 scram with race mods didn't need 4x4,take it off,it shave about 45 lbs of dead weights and give more response as well,the best thing to change to save weight is swingarm,front 2x4 struts and housing,a-arms,axle,no electric start,no battery (shave the metal holder),no airbox.i've cutted everyting on mine frame to save weights beside all the others stuff changed,the result is about 435-440 lbs.
try some gearing change out,i suggest 15-34,the bike will always "bog" if the secondary clutch is not at right preload,try stiffer secondary spring
setup,make a mark on the primary clutch with black pen to see if the clutch is at full shiftout while running your setup,then you can determine if you go to a steeper helix cam.on a race mod engine you would be end up to probably 56g of weights.the HPD blue is the one for race mod,the violet HPD secondary will be too soft for race mod i think.

Old 10-17-2002, 02:26 PM
CED
Pro Rider

You may want to lose your electric fan ,i've been running mine without the fan for over a year with no overheating.I am using engine ice in place of the original coolant.

Old 10-18-2002, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

yeah,i removed the electric FAN long time ago too,the weight saving in front is surprised,no overheating problems tough in high speed trails ride,use good coolant with water wetter.the engine stay in the 1050-1100 degree line...

Old 10-18-2002, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are you just drag racing it, are do you please ride it a litte? If your just drag racing it, completly do away with the liquid cooling, you should be alble to burn out, get down the track and kill it in less than a minute. Replace the whole stearing columb. If it wheelies to much, put a longer swing arm on it. Iv even heard of people completly doing away with the strut and adding dual a-arm, in my opinion its not worth it but if you have the money or time its somthing to think about. You might ought to check into a diffent transmission, mabey out of a snowmobil, the transmission is the heavyest part of a polaris. Motorcycles have a powerband and 6 gears, the scrambler only has a powerband(torque convter). If you havn't already ajusted your cluching you might ought to try that. A stock harley pipe does great with no baffle on a 500HO but yours is 2 stroke. Again you might ought to try and find a light weight racing pipe for a snomoble. If your just drag racing the quad you might ought to completely remove the rear shock and add a light wieght aluminum pipe in its place. Then you when you tighten your chain you dont have to worry leaving extra slach because there will not be any give in your rear end.
But if your still going to drive the quad around the yard or on the trail I douht you would want to use any of these ideas.
Thanks Dee

Quick Reply: HPD motor on!!! Now to put my scrambler 400 on a diet!!!