Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Grease Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2000, 07:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How often does everyone grease their machines? I do quite a bit of riding in water / deep mud? Should that effect the frequency of grease jobs? Also, I bought grease at the dealer, should I get a better grade of grease?

Thanks

Old 03-30-2000, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

You’ll probably get as many different answers (opinions) to your question as there are riders. Here’s mine. I use a Valvoline grease with a high moly content (part # 633). It’s not the most expensive grease out there by far, but it was recommended to me by a mechanic I trust. He had his reasons for recommending this but don’t ask me to explain them to you because I don’t fully understand them. I used to use a very expensive “red” grease but have been using the 633 for over a year and have never had a grease related problem with either one.

If you think about what you’re greasing you’ll quickly realize your u-joints are the most important. Assuming you have shaft drive, they contain the only “rolling” bearings you’ll grease and are subjected to the most wear when you ride. The other greasable points are all suspension and steering. These are important too but they’re not subjected to the kind of stress the drive train is. Whenever I grease I lube them all but just keep in mind the u-joints are critical and expensive to replace.

Riding in the conditions you describe, greasing often may be more important than the kind of grease you use. The more often you go under water or in the “soup” the more likely it is your greasable components will become contaminated with water and terrain. Greasing pushes the contaminants out and gives you nice fresh lubricant. I suggest you use any high grade grease and do it often.

How often? That’s tricky to answer. If you ride on weekends, like we do, staring with a freshly greased machine, ride in your typical conditions for what you consider to be a typical amount of miles. After your weekend re-grease paying very close attention to any water or debris that you may evacuate from the joints. If all that squirts out is grease than it’s unnecessary to lube that frequently. Next, try this after two weekends of riding. You get the point. By paying attention to what comes out of your joints when you grease them and comparing that to the conditions you’ve ridden in, eventually you’ll get a feel for your grease intervals. Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2000, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

Floodrunner, you hit the nail right on the head. Good job!

Old 03-30-2000, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

Hey floodrunner your briefcase has expired.

Old 03-30-2000, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flood Runner is right.The only thing I do differantly is I use Marine grease.==BILL

00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4
If you want to come in second ''FOLLOW ME''

Old 03-30-2000, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer

I don't have to,I own a Yamaha!

Old 03-31-2000, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

Yes it doesn't have zerks, TRUE 4 WHEEL DRIVE, disc brakes, water cooling among other things...so whats the point do you want us to feel sorry for you...Never will understand you continously read of people on here having trouble with sealed bearings going bad and rusting and still they TRY to take shots at bikes with the superior idea. This is no bias opinion either cause I own an AC 500...I wish I could grease it.