Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

has anyone else had cracked tranny in a xplor

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 05:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone else had cracked tranny in a xplor

(2000 xplor 400) My tranny cracked in several places from a possible chain breakage, so the dealer tells me. well soon as the problem happened I never started or drove the machine. The dealer was not afraid to drive the machine to load it up or anything. They felt all I need to do is replace the cases at $450. I pulled the tranny out myself and took it to the dealer. The dealer got around to look at it in another couple of weeks then called back and stated the inner is screwed and I would be better and buy a new transmission at $1200. How can a chain breakage cause so much damage....... is this a polaris flaw or what. (the dealer said the chain did not look bad) The dealer could care less about my problem and wont do anything to help out other than order the part at my expense. When the chain broke I was not going more than 10mph and I was not giving it gas.

By the way this machine has the 54 month ext warranty....... That is good for nothing.

What should I do..... Is there alot of people out there that has had simular problems or what. I cant justify spending $1200 in the machine and still worry the next time Im riding that if the chain breaks it will cost me another $1200.

I would be more satisfied in giving the $1200 to a lawyer so Polaris will acknowledge this problem, cause right now they could care less.

-PLEASE- I need feed back. This is just one Polaris owner that is thinking I should of bought a Japan cycle.

Old 11-06-2002, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

A chain breaking can bust a transmission case...........on any bike, american or japanese. If you do order a new transmission, order one out of a 2002 xplorer 400. For 2002, all the chain drive models had the right side transmission case beefed up, along with a chain guide. The chain guide is about $6, is made of plastic, and is designed to prevent the chain from trying to wad up between the sprocket and the transmission case. The channel that the chain is guided through is small, allowing only one pass of chain to go through. On partsland.com, the transmission is $999.99. This is for a 2002 xplorer 400 tranny. Here is the link: http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N...R-400-GEARCASE

Another advantage of ordering over the internet is that it is most likely out of state for you, and saves you sales tax. You will have to pay shipping though. I looked up the transmission for a 2000 xplorer 400, and it lists for $1049.99 at partsland.com. Besides the right hand case half, it is the same, so the one for the 2002 will bolt up perfectly. I know because I cracked the right hand side on my 2001 model, and replaced the right case half with a 2002. It is an exact fit. If you rode your bike hardly any at all after the case cracked, the internals could be screwed. Get the guys in the shop to show you what they are referring to as being messed up. I replaced the bearings in my transmission when I put the new case half on, and that's all. Good luck.

Waylan

Old 11-06-2002, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've broke two cases in the last 6 months on my 500 Scrambler. The last one was due to chain breakage. Both the orginal and the new one I put in June had the "so called" new improved case w/ chain guide. I also wasn't going faster than 10 or 15 MPH when the chain broke but it still wadded up and punched a big hole in the case. The plastic guide just broke. I got the same sympathy from the dealer as you did Bobbie. It's REALLY ##$#@@#$#@ frustrating! I would like to know where you can get that guide for $6 bucks because I just paid $27 from the dealer yesterday..... (sorry about the whinning)

Old 11-06-2002, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

MachoMan,

Go to the link in my reply to bobbie and look up part #65. I was wrong when I said $6.............it is actually $7.99. I have heard of someone buying it for about $6 from their dealership though. Anyway, are you sure it was that tranny design that broke on you?

Waylan

Old 11-06-2002, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Walexa,
I wonder if that will fit on the Scrambler tranny. I don't have the high/low range on my machine so I wonder if it is interchangable. When I hatched the first one back in June, it was going to cost more in parts than a complete unit. The dealer asked what the build date was and said that I had to put the same one back in. According to the manual there are 2 trannys, pre- 4/01 and post-4/01. I got another 4/01, and by the sound of it I must have gotten the older version. I think I might have to pay a visit to my dealer and have a little discussion with him.....

All I can say is NICE MACHINE! It looks like you need a step ladder to get onto it. Do you have that chain gaurd on your machine? I looked through your photos but didn't see any that showed that area.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

I have installed the new piece since those photos. Your dealer was wrong about the new case half..........matter of fact, the new right hand side bolted up perfectly to my older left hand side. Thanks for the compliments on my bike.

By the way, do you have the old tranny laying around? Are you going to completely replace the tranny again? I might be interested in some parts.

Waylan

Old 11-06-2002, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got a little lucky the second time. After tearing it apart, only the case was damaged. I was able to weld up the hole and only had to buy the output shaft seal along with the case gaurd.
I do have parts from the orginal tranny. I think most of the gears on those two shafts are ok except those for the roller chain. When that broke inside it took out those gears. The ring and pinion are also gone along with the RH case. Like I said earlier, it was going to be $1200 for parts or $999 for a complete unit. (You would think the manufacturers would just give away new machines just so they can make a killing selling replacement parts)

I was going to inventory all the good parts I have left this weekend. I can send you a complete parts list if you are interested. Unfortunatly I think I broke all the common parts. At least this sport is expensive.....

Old 11-06-2002, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

MachoMan,

Thanks for your reply............I was looking for the 2 sprockets that you mention as being broken. Mine are a 16 driving a 14 right now, and I believe yours are too. I am looking for a 15 driving a 15 pretty cheap. Otherwise, it is $120 new. Thanks again..........I may just order from the dealer.

Waylan

Old 11-06-2002, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

If I can bother you, what does that get you? I assume changing the ratio like that you are looking for more low end power. Can you change that and still maintain the correct chain tension?

Old 11-06-2002, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

You are correct. I can easily lower the gearing of the rear of my bike, but it is harder to lower it to the front. The sprocket that is on the primary drive shaft is 26 spline center, and the one on the pinion inside the tranny is a 22 spline center. I really wanted to swap the 16 and 14, but due to different center splines, it would be impossible without a machine shop and welding. I believe welding would be of compromised strength, and the hardening of the sprockets would be lost. I know that polaris uses a 15 driving a 15 in the 6x6, which has basically the same transmission. I believe some other gearing is a little different. What I noted was that the roller chain was the same part #, and that makes sense if you think about it. 16+14=30, and 15+15=30. Anyway, I believe some older scramblers also had this 15 driving 15 combo, and thought I might get lucky if yours was........

Something else you might want to note...........the transmissions from the xplorer and scrambler are identical, except that you have no low range on your scrambler. The price for the 2002 transmissions are the same or at least close. You would just have to rig a way to put the machine in low. This info is in case you destroy another tranny and opt for having a low range.

Waylan

Quick Reply: has anyone else had cracked tranny in a xplor