Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator Beats Cannondale!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 09:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator Beats Cannondale!

Screw the Raptor guys who are taking this whole thing personally and are choosing to spread lies everywhere about how they're beating Predators left and right. It flat out isn't happening except in their dreams.

I have video footage that I just uploaded of my Predator beating a Cannondale Speed 440 that's been modified with all the power mods that the Moto 440 has over it. He was running 13/40 gearing (stock is 14/42 he told me). My Predator is running the Polaris/White Brothers pipe and 13/37 gearing. The thing with me is, I would have done even better if I could shift better... with the new gearing, first gear is gone almost immediately, and second is soon thereafter. I was spending a good 2-3 seconds up against the rev limiter in 1st gear and probablyt 1-2 sec against it in 2nd. It'll be nice when I learn to shift faster, but for now I'm just glad it didn't go from 1st into Neutral as it did on my 400EX from time to time.

The race was up Competition Hill at Sand Mountain, Nevada today. We ran a half dozen times and the only time he came close was on a run where he got a full one to two quad jump on me off the line (before we wised up and got a flagger). I still caught and passed him before the top.

Once we had some totally fair runs where we both left at the same time, I would take him by (I'm guessing -- he may post his version here soon) around 2-3 lengths.

We did wonder how a 100% stock Predator would do against him, or even how mine would do with the stock 14/37 gearing. I do know that I'm going to put on the 38-tooth rear sprocket that I have sitting in my garage, as it could still use a little more gearing for running up that hill. I can do it in third all the way up, but I'm only turning 7500 RPM by the top and with just a little more oomph, I think it'll really shine.

That and when my head pipe comes in, along with the still-backordered K&N filter.

BTW, one of the other quads that was in the running (which is also on the video) was a piped and jetted Banshee. I was ahead of him until the last, oh, fifty yards or so, when he closed the gap and passed me by about 1-2 lengths.

(videos have been removed)

There are three runs in this video. We raced at least six times and these are the first three. The first two times it looks like I got about a one-length jump... and the second run was the one with the Banshee that I mentioned earlier. I'm not sure which quad was first to the top on the third run... I THINK it was a Banshee, but I'm not sure. Note that there was also a red Cannondale Cannibal in that group too.

The easiest way to see me in the video is look for the all-black outfit with the white helmet (I forgot my black helmet at home), and of course, the gray Predator with the American Flag dune flag.

Rob

Old 12-22-2002, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

OHHH YEAH!!!

Old 12-22-2002, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

snarfblat that was just flat out cool....make somemore movies

Old 12-22-2002, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

For the Honda guys asking how my Predator stacks against my highly modded 416ex engine with 15-36 gearing. Which feels pretty close to stock Predator gearing of 14-37.

Well, now that the Predator is broken in and I was able to make a few good runs on ashpalt and hardpacked dirt.

The 416ex will hang right there beside it until 4th provided you don't have to slip the clutch, let off the throttle to prevent wheeling over, after both machines shifting into 4th the predator simple pulls away.

The Predator you can just hang on and go it doesn't feel as fast as my EX or as powerful but when you line them up side by side you realize how fast and smooth the Predator really is.

Old 12-22-2002, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

What are the specs/details on you 416EX? I'm curious since I used to have a 400EX and used to dream about building mine up.

Video... I have lots more footage to dig through, because I'm doing up a video that will come out sometime (hopefully) soon once I'm all done. But soon means it could still be a month away. It'll end up being several minutes long, and since I'm still new at this movie-making thing, I'm still learning. I have more video to shoot too so I have enough. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Rob

Old 12-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

Great Video!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's always nice to back up claims with footage!

I don't know about how the stock Predator stands up to the C'dale speed, but a stocker will take a Cannibal by 1 or 2 bike lengths and it will be about even with the Glamis. I was drag racing at Glamis on the flats and at Oldsmobile hill with the same Glamis 440 that was reviewed by Mike Lyon. I understand the Glamis is based on the Speed with a modified EFI mapping. I just put the WB silencer on and soon will have the 13 tooth front so I hope to take all C'Dales in the future. We'll see...

Old 12-22-2002, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

All I saw was you jumping the gun. Looked like you needed the flagger! God the second race you had a length or 2 before the others even took off!

Old 12-23-2002, 12:04 AM
Range Rover

There was no gun to jump... everybody went when somebody else did. I just tried to time it right but did get the jump on everybody. Yeah the flagger worked out better, but by that time my camera operator had gotten tired and came back down the hill.

Rob

Old 12-23-2002, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Snarfblat-

416 ex is 11:1, WB race/track cam 256 intake and exhaust, it's ported and flowed (have pics of head intake) 5 angle vavle job. WB oversized headpipe and E-Series (Megaphone) with 8 disk and no spark arrestor (open end). I have 22 hours on the new engine I put all new bearings, timing chain and crank etc... in it. WB rev box, Billit Clutch, FST extra oil cooler. This thing rev's fast and high, Dave did an awsome job porting it for me.
I drag race with it 300ft grass and also gravel. DS 650, Raptors, Banshee's thinking nothing when they see it, but soon as I make that first run there right over seeing what the hell is done to it or loading up quickly and headed home. lol
Stock Predator and my EX (with 15-36 gearing) are very close in 300ft but with my EX lowered for drag racing (see gallary) and (14-39 gearing) stock Predator would LOOSE for sure. With the EX lowered the way I do it it will only wheelie about 10-11 inches high max. and then come back down at full throttle, with little if any wheel spin. I find my Predator will even spin the tires on pavement when racing, where as the EX will wheelie over.
If you geared the Predator 13-39 and then ran it against my EX then you'd have yourself a damn good race I think for 300ft.

Old 12-23-2002, 03:05 AM
Trailblazer

NICE!!!!! VERY VERY NICE!!!!! question....could you possibly get some video of your pipe? just some revv's and maybe when your driving it...its hard to tell in the video cuz of the other quads.....thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Predator Beats Cannondale!