Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

xplorer 250 top speed.???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xplorer 250 top speed.???

Ok..my bro has a 00 Xplorer 250 and the most we've gotten out of it is around 70-75kms/hr...now in the Oct 99 issue of dirt wheels it claims that the bike will do between 50-55mph..thats quite a bit quicker then 70-75kms/hr! Anyone else know what this bike should run?

Old 12-26-2002, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Mine would run about 50. So 50-55 sounds about right.

Old 12-26-2002, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

So i wonder whats wrong with my bro's...right now its got a uni filter and DG pipe, but neither made any difference in top speed.

Old 12-26-2002, 11:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok this is the deal with the explorer. It has the same exact motor as the 250 Trailblazer. I can guarantee you that the DG pipe hurt the HP, no gain. DG is the ABSOLUTE worst thing to do to a Polaris 250 for mods. On the dyno the DG actually loses HP. When you put a pipe on a bike you need to match it with the clutch kit and jet it to get the most power through the powerband. DG has no kit to match or even jetting for the pipe. They make the pipes to match the internal chambers of the stock pipe. Although they might look cool,they are junk for power. The ONLY companies that you will get a huge increase in HP is HPD, RCR, HOTSEAT and AAEN. They deal directly with polaris and have matched thier clutch kits to match the powerband. A stock Explorer puts out 22hp. With a GOOD pipe you will increase it to 30HP. I would say with the DG pipe he is at around 20hp. This is the problem. DG has no powerband, clutch kit or jetting to match. There are only a few people on atvconnection that know alot about the 250's and i am 1 of them. We all have done tons of reserch,trial and error on other brands. Anyone here can tell you that DG sucks and is the problem. You can start with puting the stock pipe back on, now with the uni filter you need to change the jetting. Usually 2-3 sizes up on the main jet. If it is a 130 main then go with a 145-150 main. If you have more air you need to jet it up for more fuel or it will run lean. Find a good pipe to work and it will be like night and day!!!!!

Old 12-27-2002, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

The only thing is that the pipe didnt change the speed of the bike...i beleive you when you say it lost power...but there was no change in top speed of the bike..he just recently put the DG pipe on it.

I'll tell him to up the jets though!

Old 12-27-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

I'm one of the dumb people that had a DG pipe on my Trail Boss, it's the same engine as Trailblazer and Xplorer. Yes they are they are the worst thing to do on mods, they don't have anytihng good about them. They are soo loud it's unbearable while riding. I just switched to AAEN and it was a completely different bike now it rocks, Hey I sold my DG stuff on Ebay to some idiot and got $200 and I paid $240 that's pretty good.

Old 12-27-2002, 03:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scotts88, People have a hard time understanding the top end on a Polaris. The rpms of the motor naturally determines the speed of the bike on the top end. You can buy 2 kinds of pipes. You can get a pipe that doesnt change the top rpm of the engine, but adds all the power through the range of the engine. You can also buy a pipe that makes a power increase, but runs at a higher rpm. You do not have to change the clutching with the first one, but will have to change the weights and springs with the second to make use of the pipe's power. Running a pipe that turns more rpms will in turn make a higher top speed. It is always recommended to change the clutching when adding power or increasing torque to benefit the best. I hope that didnt confuse anyone[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-27-2002, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

See the guy told my bro that you cant re-jet the 250 motor..i guess this isnt true eh??

Ok...sorry..this is my bro here..im posting under his name now..sorry for the confusion...

Old 12-27-2002, 04:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man your really trying to confuse us now,aren't you? Generally speaking, if it's got a carb, it can be jetted.Exceptions would be most weedeaters, chainsaws,etc. But even those are adjustable. You have to be able to compensate for altitude and temperature somehow.Bubba

Old 12-27-2002, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

OH i beleive you...see im new to this carb stuff..im a car guy..but into Fuel injection..got a 88 5.0 that i can do some motor work too (heads, intake, cam..etc) but this bike stuff is all new to me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Im just saying what my bro told me..he said the dealer told him he cant re-jet the 250..

Quick Reply: xplorer 250 top speed.???