Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris owners, not biased with opinions....Need your thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris owners, not biased with opinions....Need your thoughts??

Just some other things to consider. If you’re willing to look at a 500cc-machine w/out rear suspension a Honda Rubicon you may want to check out. Other issues are test each ride machine and see what machine seems to fit you or just feels right. Another thing to consider when spending $5500.00 plus is dealer support, lets face it all of the machines are fairly good, but it’s impossible for any company have zero defect on every machine made. Look at the dealer as a whole, and even ask for references of people they have sold machines to. Meet with the mechanic that will be setting up and servicing your machine. My biggest problem with Polaris is there is no what I would call “dealer” within 50 miles of me. There are allot of places selling them, but that is not there core business. The closest dealer to me sells lawn care equipment, Polaris is just an add on, the next closest is a hardware store that does small engine repair in the back. After talking with them and seeing there shop you can tell what there focus is on, and it’s not Polaris. These are just 2 of the 6 or 8 dealers I’ve been to that sell Polaris, and they are all the same in my area,( I’m not try to say this is nation wide because this I have no idea and I do assume that there are ture Polaris dealers some where). I do know people that have had good luck from these 2 Polaris dealers, but I also know people that have had bad. Don’t get me wrong, a dealer is run by people and a reflection of them, some a good, some are bad. This has no brand loyalty, they are out there with every brand, to me a good dealer means more than the name on side of the machine.

Old 12-29-2002, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

While I have always applauded Polaris for their efforts, personally I never would have chosen their ATVs over the other brands simply because the other brands (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha mostly) have a much better reputation for reliability. HOWEVER...

...I have recently looked at some Polaris models myself and find myself really liking them more than I thought I would, with few exceptions. Of course, I'm still kind of spooked over the overall reliability and belt drive issues, but they look dern good (appeals to my vanity side), have great suspension, and tons of features.

What I don't like about them is the single lever braking that activates both front and rear brakes all the time and the digital display. I'd rather have non-digital gauges and I'd want the brakes to operate independently. I think anyone who's ever flipped a machine down a hill would agree with that last one.

Personally, I also feel that reliability and durability is more of result of good maintenance practice. A well maintained machine should last as long as you want it to. A machine that is neglected in one way or another will ultimately cause problems, simple as that. And, you have to realize, some parts do wear out. That's normal.

While some designs are better than others, I also believe that all ATV manufacturers are building good machines today and that if they are maintained as the manufacturer instructs, there should be few or no problems.

I'd love to hear some more opinions from experienced Polaris owners as well. More specificly, about the braking system; the durability of the electronics; the drive train issues; if the belt wears out, how hard is it to replace yourself; yadda, yadda, yadda...

Old 12-29-2002, 02:46 PM
Range Rover

i have a 03 trail boss 330 2x4 and i love the braking system on the bike and the stock tires seam much better than what come on the jap bikes its a nice riding machine and easy to maintain

Old 12-29-2002, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read in an other post that someone had a hard time leaning over the handlebars while climbing steep hills. I don't know if the SP 600-700 is bigger than a SP 500, but if you like to climb steep hills I'd check it out. I don't know just something a 700 owner had written.

Old 12-29-2002, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

The Sportsmans ARE heavy, but for their weight, they really handle well, and don't require too much handlebar effort to steer. Some of that extra weight comes from having heavy tires, and a thick steel skid plate, instead of knobby potato peelings, and (on some bikes) a plastic skid plate that can get pretty bunged up in the rocks & stumps. I suppose there are places they could shave a few pounds, but all in all they are pretty rugged.
I wouldn't worry too much about the belt. I have 7200 miles on my Xplorer, and use Low range when I should, and have only replaced the belt one time so far, at 5000 miles. It was still going, but was narrower than spec. I saved it for use as a spare, in case I ever shred one. The only other repairs to the clutch were 2 bushings & the buttons in the rear pulley I replaced at the same time as the belt. Those cost under $35 to replace. Front clutch was still good.

I grease the zerks on mine regularly, and the only things I have worn out in the chassis would be the outer tie rod ends, which were upgraded in 2001 or 2002 (mine is a 1999). Driveline problems so far are chain & sprockets (chain drive rear end, the Sportsmans are shaft) and 2 torn CV boots, all between 6000 & 7000 miles. The original brake pads went over 5000 (brakes wear faster if you are a mud rider, which I am not).

My Xplorer has never failed to start & run, and I have only had to walk because of it once (a stick somehow got under the plastic and tore loose the fuel line, still don't know how it got up there). Other than that, it just keeps a going. The 4wd system still works flawlessly (I change hub fluid every spring & fall) and have no real gripes.

I guess what I am trying to get at, is if you like the Polaris, and take care of it, it will serve you well.

Farmr

Old 12-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Malochala, the electronics on the machines seem to be as bullet proof as any other model. No problems with CDI's, regulators,stators,etc. Hotseat performance sells a split line braking kit that doesnt cost a bunch and puts a handbrake on both sides of the handlebars. One for the front and rear. Dont forget there is still a foot brake for the rears only. The belt change is about as simple as changing the oil in your old Chevy. All the belt covers are basically the same and have about 7-8 screws that hold it on. Just have to move the rear fender over or out of the way to remove the cover. The belt can be slipped off and on without removing the clutches. To help with clutch wear, I blow the belt dust (looks like brake dust) off the clutches about 2 times a year. I hope this info helps,Bubba

Old 12-30-2002, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Scrambler 400x and in m point of view it might not be the fastest but it is fast,mine runs 70-80. You may need to keep a couple good spark plugs arround, and extra gas for air filter, and before u start riding get engine blown out and wamed up and from then on out I promise you will love it. Despite what others say it is a reliable, it is great a hill climbing, and the hills companys tests heir quads on are alot different than you will actually ride on right, and trial riding is great because you dont have to worry about ganging gears around everylil curve you come by becuse its a automatic. Even tho its a 2stroke dont have to mix the oil and gas and if your lazy like me you will love that feature. The stock tires aren't the greatest but witch ones are, the springs you will love, the it walks wth the ease, and burnouts and doungnuts, you wont want to stop.