Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

how smooth is the scrambler 500??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 01:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how smooth is the scrambler 500??

I would agree with you that a Scrammy can go about 70 miles IF ridden conservatively,...BUT how often does that happen!!??
Very true

Fortunately, she hasnt discovered the last 3/4 of the throttle.

The way she rides,,,,maybe 150 miles +

Old 01-03-2003, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

I have owned my '99 Scrambler 500 4x4 for a year now. It has been excellent with zero problems. I mostly ride trails and mud when there are other 4x4s around. I rode it at the dunes (Little Sahara) and flew just as high as the Raptors and 400EXs. It is more than fast enough for anything I do. My friend's 400EX will only get it on top end (clocked his at 76mph). They stay close up to the Scram's top speed, not bad for having four wheel drive and another 150 pounds.
My favorite part of the Scrambler is the hill climbing ability. I have seen no other beast on the trails that will climb like it will. All you need is lots of nerve and a little skill and it will go up anything reasonably possible.
The chain drive sure looks like it takes hell in the mud but so far it has been nothing but a little oil and some adjustment. I keep my chain loose to help prevent breakage which is probably the most common problem with the Scrambler. It's almost four years old and I might replace the chain and sprockets this summer for the first time.
I'll be taking it out again in the morning to tear up the 5" of snow we got today.

Old 01-03-2003, 09:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with the 2-cycle 400 trail bikes, we can go riding in the mountains all day and have gas left over. Me and the mrs dont putt around too much. Rincon, Dana wants to know if your getting smarter on us. Bubba

Old 01-03-2003, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Well i hope i'm getting smarter, Polaris makes bikes with all the bells and whistles, and they seem to be more reliable every year. If i buy a polaris i'll buy new, because i don't trust a used one, some people think a scrambler is a Raptor or an EX, which i think is hard on them. (stock anyways)

70miles = 112KM which is as far as my Kodiak can go i think.

The prices here are as follows:
scram- 7600
p650- 8999
sp600- ~8699
sp700- 9300
sp500- 8199

This is why the scram caught my attention. Also the chain doesn't bother me that much, i've always had a dirt bike, and they have chains (except my YZinger) And a D.I.D chain lasted 2 years on my brothers CR, and it snaped, so i put it on my XR (shorter swingarm on the XR, so it worked) and I have yet to adjust it! Also stainless steel sprockets last a lifetime.

I keep my chain loose to help prevent breakage which is probably the most common problem with the Scrambler.
The scramblers have Concertric (sp) chain drive, so when the suspension moves up and down the chain tension stays constant, so i don't think it needs to be all that loose. Mabey the onlder ones did (before '98)

Old 01-03-2003, 02:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

scrambler is a Raptor or an EX, which i think is hard on them. (stock anyways)
I have to explain this to my buddy, who tries to keep up to me on my Rap.

Old 01-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Rincon

If you keep the rear suspension set soft and keep the stock 2 ply tires they ride quite decent for a straight axle. This hinders the handling and jumping a bit but it doesn`t sound like you will be doing a lot of that. The seats are kinda narrow and get uncomfortable after 4 or 5 hours (imo). The top speed of the Scram vs the Sportsman are pretty close with the edge going to the Scram . The Scram will get there quicker as well. My fuel mileage has not been that great (could be my riding style[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]) the best I`ve done is 45 mi. before needing reserve.

Myself I`m selling in the summer and getting me something thats nice and cushy with independent and a big seat. I love the Scram and have had the best of luck with it but my riding style (and those that I ride with) is changing.

Old 01-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

I junked the stock rims and tires on my Scrambler. I beat them up pretty bad on the rocks. If you don't ride real tough terrain, you shouldn't have a problem. Personally, I think the seat is just fine. It doesn't sit like a Sportsman, but that's ok with me. I've ridden an 11 1/2 and a 10 1/2 hour ride. Other than just being worn out from the trail riding, my behind was no worse for wear.

Scott

Old 01-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure I'll get yelled at for this, but in general I don't like Polaris. But my bro has a brand new Scrambler 500 and it is a serious exception. It has the smoothest ride and incredible power. You could ride it all day and never be sore or tired, although the steering is a little heavy. It's only a two-wheel-drive but its never gotten stuck. It can go over or through most anything. If I had the money I would probably get one myself. The rims are pretty bent up. He added front and rear racks and a rack bag. They are a big help. The only thing that worries me about it is the incredible amount of clacking and grinding kind of noises coming from the transmission. But it doesn't seem to really be a problem.

Old 01-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

I just thought of another question, since it doesn't have a hi/lo tranny does this heat up the belt when riding at slow speeds through the rough stuff??

Thanks for all the info!!

P.S. if you see me on the other forum sections asking questions about other ATV's don't think that i don't want the scram, just getting all the info i can!

Old 01-03-2003, 09:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My clutch cover does get warm, but I haven't had any problem with the tranny yet. I do a lot of SLOW ORV trail riding and this is where the scrambler REALLY shines. It gets up any hill that I want it to go up. It is too ride for the trails. I can really smoke my friend on his DS650 once we get on ORV trails because he is so wide he keeps hitting stuff. A low gear would be nice, but to be honest, I have never really needed one on a scrambler

Quick Reply: how smooth is the scrambler 500??