Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need help with sportsman 500 H.O.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with sportsman 500 H.O.

I got a ploblem with my 2001 sp500 h.o.
It will run fine then it sounds like the rev limiter kicks in and it bogs down.
I put a new plug in, new fuel filter and a new air cleaner.it still did it, so I gave up and took it to my dealer. He gave it the once over and found that the valves were out of adjustment, he fixed that and could not get it to do the problem. I picked it up and brought it home and sure enough the ploblem is still there. I got mad and started looking around by the carb to see if the vent lines were pinched or plugged. then I found a tube that had a filter looking thing that had VAC stamped on one side. this tube was not hooked up to anything.
it was laying on top of the belt gaurd. My Question is what is this tube and is this my problem. where does this tube go.

Old 01-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer

shedhead,

I have the same problem with my 00 500 4x4 scrambler. I have yet to find out what the problem is. I have checked all that you have and checked the valves and still have had no success. If find out what is causing this please let me know. I think that the tube thing that you are talking about goes to the Carb as well. I beleive that is where mine is connected. I will look in the morning and get back to you if you do not hear anything back.
I think that my next step is the CDI box as soon as I get another 100 bucks saved up that I can spair.

critter

Old 01-12-2003, 03:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks critter
i will check it out in the morning.
you said that one end goes to the carb, where does the other end go?
thanks again
shedhead

Old 01-12-2003, 08:58 AM
Trailblazer

shed,

I just went outside and looked. I mispoke, It goes to the airbox and then feeds down to where the Cooliant lines feed to. If we are talking about the same Filter looking thang.

Critter

Old 01-12-2003, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

critter
the tube is small clear plastic about3/16 of an inch I.D. the one side is 2 inches long then the filter looking thing that is 1 inch in dia. and about 1 1/2 long and brown, then there is about 6 to 8inches of the same size tube.
Thanks for all your help, I have the service manual but this tube and filter is not in there.
thanks again
Shedhead

Old 01-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

THE TUBE YOUR TALKING ABOUT WITH THE VAC IT JUST DANGLES ON MY SPORT ITS JUST A VENT FOR THE CARB. YOUR OTHER PROBLEM SOUNDS LIKE YOUR CARB IS GUNKED UP OR A METERING ROD IS PLUGED IN IT. OR IT COULD BE SOMETING LIKE A CHOKE ADJUSTMENT. IF BOTH OF YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM THEIR MIGHT BE A RECALL ON SOMETHING OR A SERVICE BULLITIN

Old 01-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

Axel,

Mine is a 2000 500 scrambler. Not the HO. I have taken the Carb off and cleaned it, New air Filter, New Spark plug, checked the Valves, and still having the same problem.

Old 01-13-2003, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Critter,
I am going to take my wheeler back to the dealer and get the carb rebuilt and cleaned, a new spark plug boot, and see if they can test the CDI box.
I just want my wheeler to run again.
Thanks for all of your help, I will post what the final problem was, maybe I will be able to help you.
Thanks again
Shedhead

Do you think there is anything else that could be the problem.
Please post and I will have Them check that to.

Old 01-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Range Rover

Reverse overide switch. Push it and see if it runs, then unplug it and try again.

Old 01-14-2003, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I tried that, didn't work.
The dealer said that it might be the carb, or the speedometer pick up in the front tire. if it does not sence the wheel spinning it tells the motor to run at 3600 RPM. He thinks that it might have a short in it.
He is going to look at it First thing in the morning.
I will post the right Answer.

This is kind of fun trying to figure out what is wrong with my wheeler, I feel like i should give a prize out for the right Answer.
thanks for the help.
Shedhead

Quick Reply: need help with sportsman 500 H.O.