Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

After break in check-up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 02:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After break in check-up?

How important is bringing my new scrambler 500 into the dealer for the initial check-up? I have about 20-30 hours on it. I have greased every zerk on it and adjusted the chain. In the manual it says to bring it in after break in and have the cylinder head and base bolts re-tourqued. Does anyone ever do this and is it something to worry about? Anything else I should be aware of now that it's broke in?

Also, can the original air filter be washed or does it just need to be replaced? If it isn't reusable, what is the best foam filter I can get for it. I've heard K&N's don't filter as well as some of the others. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 01-15-2003, 07:41 AM
Range Rover

It is pretty important that the initial service gets done around 30 hours of use. I would suggest changing the engine oil and tranny fluid. If it s a 4X4, then you also need to do the hub and diff. fluids. We generally don't see any reason to re-torque the head and cylinder bolts.

The origanal filter can be re-used. If you have compressed air availible, you can actaully blow alot of the dirt back out by blowing the air from the inside of the filter, out. Be carefull with the air though, so that you don't blow a whole through it. If the filter has gotton wet, it is junk. Even after it dries.

I too, prefer the foam filters over the K&N. I do believe that the K&N does flow more air but, for a reason.

Old 01-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Range Rover

Who makes the best foam filter as far as filtering out the most dirt? Twin Air? Also, where is the best place to buy parts? Is there anything else I should add to my scrambler to help with durability and to make it last longer? I already have a swing arm skid plate. Thanks.