Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which Belt???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 12:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Belt???

Which belt should I get, the SP700, Gates, or Dayco? My concerns are price, strength, reliability. I have heard that the gates belt is easily available at Napa relatively cheaply and is a very strong and long lasting belt but will destroy your primary after awhile. The 700 belt some people noticed a difference and others didn't, Plus it cost more? How much more? I dont know anything about the Dayco belt. Can anyone enlighten me ?any suggestions? Thanks

Old 01-28-2003, 05:34 AM
Trailblazer
Default Which Belt???

Yes stick with your stock belt.The reason I say this is your motor and belt where desisned for just that a stock belt. You go and change from stock to any other belt then you open up a can of worms....Example,,thickness of stock belts v/s after market.Width,degree of the side of the belt,,,is it the same degree as stock v/s sheave contact points.All theses you have to take in consideration.Thicker is not better..Why replace? Are you burning belts? If so,its not your belt but your clutch set up.If you want some good reading on clutching go to www.heelclicker.com .Click on Whats New.Read Understanding Clutching.....Replacing stock belts to after market belts should be a unopen can of worms.

Old 01-28-2003, 01:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Which Belt???

The 700 belt would be the way to go for you. ALL the 2003 500 and up atv,s are now equipped with the spliceless 700 belt from the factory. It is much stronger, lasts longer and will not wear any parts. The gates belt is just like the HPD kevlar belt. This is a good belt for more moded bikes. I have one on my moded TB and have not noticed any wear on the clutches. Dayco is also good for reliability. Go with the 700 belt and you will be fine.

Old 01-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which Belt???

I could be wrong but I think Dayco makes all polaris belts anyway.
I use too use goodyear powerstreak belts , very strong belts but I like a little softer belt for grip
I found powerstreak a harder compound and worked well on high horsepower 2 strokes with a high engagement but have a 4 stroke with not as high of engagement was getting some slippage sometimes
do not get me wrong though those belts were industructable I just could not use them too there potential. and found a slightley softer rubber compound to be better for me.
polaris makes a top cogg belt , better air circulation inside the housing I found it too be the best for me.
I just cannot remember what it was off of.
When replacing your belt clean your clutches (no chemical sprays) just soap and water let dry and check belt alignment.

Old 01-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default Which Belt???

2manytoys..I whould say to much to drink!!!!Polaris Industries Is Not putting 700 Belts on ANY 400,500,500ho.If you call your dealer they will show YOU part # that is totally diffrent from a 700 belt.You could call or get a hold of Polaris at www.polarisindustries.com .They will also tell you they are not putting on 700 belts on 500's.Doing this mod cut's your sheave contact point in half.Thats right HALF.The 700 belt is 1/4 inch thick.The 500Ho belt is 1/2 inch thick.Putting on a 700 belt you are losing 1/4 inch of contact to your sheaves.So don't be telling people polaris is doing this because they are not...check your self call polaris or one of the dealers.And don't say this dealer is doing it cause it is not recommended by Polaris. And for the people that are thinking about doing it ,,,check frist.Most likely you will lose top end cause of the lesser thickness of the belt. The belt is one of the most important parts in your final drive.I find people trying heaver belts,thicker belts,and if you don't know clutching you are opening up a can of worms....Stay with your stock belt.If you are having belt slippage then look at your primary clutch for a clutch kit that will grab your belt instead of slipping.

Old 01-28-2003, 05:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Which Belt???

THEGRIZ4570,

Ok if you think so. Then why are they advertising that ONE of the new upgrades for 2003 is using the spliceless belt from the 700 sportsman. I would not say something that I either have not read or got my info right. Well I guess the article on the new 2003 Polaris,s is wrong then.

Here are the exact words and they are talking about the 2003 500, 500ho, 600 Sportsmans and Scramblers.

These Polaris atv,s got a few upgrades. Although they retain the well known concentric drive found on past models, they recieve the new spliceless belt (borrowed from the 700 twin) and limited lifetime belt warranty.

Thats what they say along with other upgrades. There words not mine!!!

Old 01-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default Which Belt???

Try going to your dealer.Ask him,,the polaris dealer to look up the part #s for the 500 or 700 on the 2003 models,, You will see then what is correct.Or call Polaris,,,I did .

Old 01-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Belt???

I'm not taking sides here and only writing on this but once. I just got off the phone with my local Polaris dealer which I deal with ALOT. He told me in 2003 that all EBS and non-ebs will be using the same belt. For whatever it's worth, I thought I would throw it in. I'm not saying he's right or wrong. Bubba

Old 01-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Belt???

Listen to 2manytoys!!!!!!!! I run a Gates Kevlar belt.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which Belt???

One thing I can add to this is a 700 belt does NOT work on my non-ebs '01 Xplorer 400. I tried it with different springs to no avail. It was awesome to about 18 mph, as that was all the faster it would go. It would stand the front end right up into the air. I could never fiqure out if the belt was slipping after the intial strong engagement, or that the compound of the belt would not let the clutches shift out.

Quick Reply: Which Belt???