Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which Belt???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 08:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Which Belt???

I never said that the 700 belt would work on anything other than the 500 and up atv,s. It will NOT work for 400 and smaller. The HPD belt is made by Gates. You can get this Gates kevlar belt at Napa for almost half the price of the HPD belt. As for the 700 belt I am going by what I have seen and heard. I know the owner of the largest Polaris dealer in PA. Leroy Stoltzfus of Leroys atv and snowmobile. He rides a 100hp HPD racemod with a powervalve system that he built. He knows what he is talking about. Not saying your guy dont! He uses the 700 belt on all the 500cc and up atv,s with no problem. Maybe the clutch has to be adjusted to accomidate this belt. I dont know. I do know that he would not steer me wrong. He has given me all my mod parts at cost. I have about $1200 worth of parts and they have cost me around $500 bucks. Thats what they use and I have seen it work. There are other guys on this forum and atv nation that use the 700 belt and have had no problems.

Old 01-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Belt???

I got a new 500 belt a few rides agao. Maybe put 250 miles on it. I had to replace the old one because it was shredding apart. The reason I ask is because I just bought the HPD aggressive clutch kit and thought that one of the other belts would be better with the new kit.I have had problems with belt slippage when I first nail it. Sometimes the belt with slip and sometimes it will lift the front wheels up. I also notice my clutch cover getting really hot. Hot enough that you cant touch it for more than 5 seconds

Old 01-28-2003, 11:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Which Belt???

You will get less slippage with the HPD belt and the only way it will wear a groove in the clutches is if you were to drive at one speed for a long,long,period of time. I think that everyone varies thier speed no matter what they do. You will also see more wear on bikes that have more hp and torque but if the clutch is set up right then that would be highly unlikely. If you get slippage now with the new kit and new belt then you need to adjust a little more. Take the cover off, get a perminant marker and put a line from top to center on all 4 sheeves. Take it for a spin till you think you have maxed out the speed. After you stop check to see if the lines are still there. All the lines should have came off. If you still have lines then either it is not up shifting all the way, the clutches are not alligned, and clutch is not wound up right. If you have 1 line on only one sheeve then it is not alligned right and it will slip. If the secondary is not wound right it will slip, or the clutch buttons are wore down. Clutching can be very tricky but when it is right it should be flawless.

Old 01-28-2003, 11:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Which Belt???

Rick sent the clutch kit off today so I dont have it yet. I also ordered the HPD superduty buttons. So the Gates belt will work good for me? I usually do vary me speeeds. My main concern with the gates belt was heat build up and damage to the primary. But you think that it is a good choice? just out of curiousity, how long do you think that it would take to wear a grove in the primary at a constant speed? Thanks

Old 01-29-2003, 12:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Which Belt???

That is a good choice. The clutch kit is great and the belt is almost indistructable. I have had my belt on for a year now. I ride EVERY weekend, Trail,climbing, and some racing. I also cruse around with friends around the country roads. Maybe doing about 30-35mph for 5-10 min at a time. Then we race every few minuts just for the heck of it. I have absolutely no wear on my clutches. Im sure if you were to cruse at lets say 30 mph for 20 to 30 min the clutches will heat up and start to wear but crusing that fast at a consistant speed fore a long period of time is highly unlikely. You are allways varying speeds no matter what you do. The superduty buttons will help also. The whole setup will eliminate 95 percent of slippage if it is set up right. You will allways have some slippage but thats the nature of an automatic. Not enough to worry about.

Old 01-29-2003, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default Which Belt???

THE PART # for the 500 H.O. is 3211069 and the 3211091 is for the 700 both are kevlar belts. The only differance is the 700 belt is spliceless with finer inter notches. Our dealers say there is no proformance differance in either belt. We have been running the 700 belt on the 500"s and see no changes in the atv.
The price is the same $34.00 an change if your dealer likes you. One dealer said the 3211069 is going to be old news.

Jeff

Old 01-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default Which Belt???

Hey guys, I work for a commercial truck parts company and have put in stock the Goodyear belt to fit my '03 Scrammy just in case. It is Goodyear's Gatorback belt. Dayco is the OEM supplier for Polaris belts. Just thought I would throw that in!

Old 01-29-2003, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which Belt???

The point of my previous post was not to show it wouldn't work with any 400, but a NON-EBS clutched one. The 400 almost makes as much horsepower as a 500HO and I believe that engine size has nothing to do with why it doesn't work on my Xplorer.