Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

oil cooler fan on trailboss

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler fan on trailboss

Does anyone know how hot the trailboss has to get for this fan to come on. I don't ever hear mine come on. The hot light has never came on. It's got a very big oil cooler on it I just wondered what was normal or do I need to check into this. Iknow it's cold weather now, but even in the summer time I've never hear it. My brother-in-law has a big bear 400 and we hear his come on a lot even in the winter time.

Old 01-31-2003, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Those old 325 engines were noted for not running hot. Considering the size of the cooler, as long as you had any forward motion at all (to get airflow over the cooler) and weren't towing a trailer, I'm not surprised the fan hardly comes on.

One thing you can and maybe should do is spin the fan blades, just to be sure the motor isn't stuck. It should turn fairly easily just with your finger. It may have a wierd 'pulsing' feeling as you turn it, but this is normal due to the magnets inside. What you are checking for is to be sure a bearing isn't siezed.

Farmr

Old 01-31-2003, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

My trailboss is the same way. Winter or summer, The oil cooling fan never comes on. I ride with a guy who has a prairie 360 and his fan is always running once we stop somewhere. If you look at the 2 quads you'll see how open the trailboss is to allow air flow to the motor and how enclosed the prairie is. The prarie is enclosed partly due to it being a 4x4. My hot light never comes on either.

Old 02-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Trailblazer

The fan on my 02 Trailboss rarely comes on. I remember it running after we stopped for a few minutes of rest after running up and down hills for 15-20 minutes, but it didn't run for long. It has also come on after doing some drag racing at full throttle.
Yes, I hear you guys laughing at the thought of drag racing on a Trailboss. The guys on the Raptors, Banshees, etc. got a good laugh watching three of us line up our Trailbosses to race. We just had to see who had the fastest quad.

Old 02-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

my wifes cooler came on one time for her rideing some slow difficult trails in southern ohio. but seems never at a mid speed.. you could put a toggle switch for manual override . i did on cooling fan on my raptor works great....

Old 02-03-2003, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

Mine has never came on either. I'm glad to hear that it's normal, I was beginning to wonder!!!

Old 02-03-2003, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

MossMan84 - How much difference did your mods make on your Trailboss? How much louder is it?
Thinking about making some mods on my 02 Trailboss.

Old 02-04-2003, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer

I can tell quite a bit of difference. Top speed may not have been affected a whole lot, but i've never clocked it. It punches out of the hole faster and accelerates faster. I think the most important part of mods is jetting. When you flow more air, you need more fuel to really get the most out of your mods. The muffler is pretty loud, but not overwhelming. It's got a really sweet, low, bellow to it. I have gotten alot of compliments on the way it sounds, so, it must not be too loud. You can get a spark arrestor for the muffler, which will quiet it down some, but it's $75. If you call Aaen about the muffler, they will try to sell you their green primary clutch spring. Don't get it, you will lose top end. If you change clutch springs, get POLARIS white or plain. I had the Aaen green and probably lost 10 mph on top. Yeah, I could stand it straight up by just punching and pulling up, but who buys a quad just to ride wheelies?

Old 02-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. I ride in state forests where they watch the db level so I'm thinking of starting with a clutch kit from Aaen or maybe from Rick Ritter before I try a change in jetting or the pipe. I'm not really interested in riding wheelies so I appreciate the info. on the spring.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

roadking, my 01 trailboss temperature sender failed when it was still fairly new, so the fan wouldn't come on. Make sure you test it and make sure it will in fact work. The sender was a warranty item, but I don't know if it was a recall or why it failed. I tested the one on my 700 by unplugging it by the radiator, and jumping a wire from the out wire to the in wire, which made the fan come on. I really don't remember if that's how the trailboss was, but it probably is. Look at the wire coming from the fan motor, there should be a pair on the right side that have a pigtail you can unplug. If this doesn't make sense it's because it was a long time ago. If need be you could call your dealer service dept and they can tell you over the phone the right way to test it.