Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil drain on a 700

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil drain on a 700

Ok this mite sound silly but where on the bottom of a 700 is the oil drain its not marked.And how much oil dose it take.I didnt get a manual with the thing....Thanks

Old 02-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

Bill it's right in the middle of the bottom of the Engine. It's an allenwrench type of bolt. Takes 2 quarts of Polaris Synthetic 0W-40 engine oil. That's what is recommened and what I use. To much invested to take short cuts.

Old 02-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

On my 03 600 it is an approximately 1/2" flat round headed bolt and requires a T40 torx driver. Doesnt look like typical hex head bolt drain.

Old 02-04-2003, 05:06 PM
Range Rover

Polaris is good for changing things mid-stream. My 700 came with the T-40 torx head. The dealer replaced it with a, I believe a 6mm hex head drain plug. On my first oil change I stripped the head of the torx plug because it was in so dam$ tight. I also talked to a technician at polaris that swore the drain plug was a hex head and after much debate and him going to the shop (as he called it), and checking, he called me back and said that yes they were torx on the early model 700's but they had changed to a hex head plug. From what 3forever states, it looks like Polaris has now switched back to the torx head. NOT SURPRISING! Your going to have to crawl under the machine and look at to be sure. In addition, I believe it is now recommended to re-fill the crankcase to the full mark instead of a full 2 quarts, as 2 qts. will overfill it a tad, as it's nearly impossible to get all the oil to drain from the crankcase. When refilling to the full mark, you should have mabey a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of oil left in your second quart container. Personally, I like the 6mm hex head drain plug better and I'm not really sure that it makes a $hit what method you use in refilling it. I've used both methods but my dealer recommends only refilling to the full mark. I change oil quite often and using the fill to full method, in time you may save yourself a quart of oil or use it to top off your crankcase if need be.

Old 02-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Range Rover

Sorry! I forgot that according to the Polaris service manual, they state "DO NOT LOCK THE DIPSTICK" when checking the oil.

Old 02-04-2003, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks everyone I did see the allen head bolt and thought to myself that cant be it.But wrong again that was it man what ever happend to a good old 1/2in bolt.thanks everyone

Old 02-05-2003, 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea it was weird when I did mine. Shop manual is pretty well written from what I can see so far, but it didn't state exactly what tool to use to remove the plug. Guess maybe it's because Polaris throws in whatever drain plug they may have lying around?
I just did it Sunday for the first time for my break in oil change. I've only got 10 hrs and 115 miles in a more than a month, as I haven't had the time or opportunity to ride near as much as I'd like to.
Anyway I pulled the T40 drain bolt (after trying an 8mm allen which almost worked until I figured out I was starting to strip it out) and drained the oil. Some came out, but not much but I figured hey it's only like 2 quarts. Let it drain for like 15 minutes, wiped the hole clean and put the plug back in.
Then I jammed a couple shop towels under the filter and pulled that with Walmart's smallest $3 oil filter cup type wrench and a ratchet with a long extension. That made a little mess but not bad. Kinda wished I had pulled all the pine needles outta there but oh well. Cleaned that all up then remembered I probably should have taken out the dipstick - I hadn't even unlocked it. So I go back and take out the drain plug just to be safe, and a bunch more oil came out. Guess it needed air. Probably would have been OK if I pulled the either the plug or the oil filter before putting the plug back in, duh.
Waited for that to drain again, cleaned it off and reinstalled the plug again. Installed the new filter (manual says 1/2 turn past contact-filter says 3/4 - no biggee I guess). So then I wished the Polaris gallon jugs of oil had markings on them cause I don't know exactly how much it took to bring it to the full line. Especially with the goofy shape of those jugs - wish I would have transferred it to an old empty quart bottle so I could have seen exactly how much - next time I guess... Well I'll be using Amsoil when the Polaris stuff is done anyway.
After running it a few mins, it took a little more then it was good to go. It will go much faster and smoother next time. After a good run to warm it up, probably 15-20 mins total.

Old 02-05-2003, 07:17 AM
Range Rover

I'm glad you mentioned the Amsoil. I have to pick my 700 up today at the dealer and I was going to buy another 2 qts. of oil and a filter. I've thought of using the amsoil but forgot about it. I'll have to see if I can find an amsoil dealer around here and a NAPA filter. I'm tired of paying around $12.00 for the polaris filters.