Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Light upgrade:Simple swap to xenon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light upgrade:Simple swap to xenon?

I'm thinking of upgrading the stock low beam lights on my 2000 Sportsman 500 to xenon lighting found at www.driving-lights.com (click on 'atv lights'). Talked to somebody at the site who claims you can upgrade the 35 watt lights(std.) with 50 watters (P/N# AX700B) not shown on this site @ $8 each.

Questions:

#1) I'm assuming that these wattage ratings are always 'times two' and that my 250 watt (?) stator should have no problem running them alone. I have seen several threads about the different ways to rig the three- way light set-up and even purchased the diodes................have I been playing with fire by cheating along with the 'halfway switch' method and would I have to buy different diodes (since I'm straying from stock wattage) to just get in there and do it right?

#2) Would it be asking a lot from the stator to operate all 3 lights with just the pod being stock? What if I switched this pod bulb over to Candlepower's (Tucker/Rocky); XB3 Xenon Blue Booster H-4 bulb? (assuming that H-4 is even the right size). This was featured at atvconnection under product reviews/headlights/ dated 9/23/99. (I apoligize that I don't know how to do 'links').

#3) 'or'.............. Could I just snip the wires to my stock lights; extend the wires up to a rack mount location that isn't 'confined' like the stocker location and use the pod as my backup with the stock switch? I'm kind of hoping these two xenon lights will give all I need for most situations and having the pod as a 'backup only' (with maybe a xenon bulb upgrade) would be O.K. if the two worked properly.

A lot of questions, I know; but if I could shed some light on even a few of them I'd be grateful.

Thanks for any help in advance,

John

Old 02-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

I have been playing with bulbs in all my toys for 20 years and I know what works and what dos'nt. Your best option is to change your pod light to a piaa 55/60 H4 bulb, they claim the equivalant of 135watts and I will say they are pretty close. You now will have extreme lighting when on high and somewhat ok lighting when on low without the amperage draw of higher wattage bulbs. There have also been problems with 100 watt H4 bulbs being used in the pod because the heat will deform your housing after extended use. In all my research I have yet to find a replacement bulb for the stock bumper mount Polaris ones that were under $40 each and those were some el cheapo models (no demand and hardly used anywhere). A 250 watt system is marginal for operating 100watt lighting system for extended periods, don't forget about the other things going on tail/brake light, awd system. Also, the 250 watt is maximum output a high rpm so that figure needs to be taken for what it's worth. Piaa super Xtreme

Just a note to anyone else who owns a 03 Polaris. They changed the socket in the pod light to the same one as the bumper mount lights. If you want extreme lighting you will need to order an older style headlamp housing if you want to do this.

Old 02-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Snowride,

I'm going to take your advice and see what kind of pattern this bulb puts out and wether it's sufficient for 'one light' operation; which is what I'm assuming you normally run.

I guess I might have to purchase the 'Xenon Blue Boosted' bulb also as my curiosity is peaked as to the difference in the technologies and performance. I guess I'll have to ask PIAA on Monday what the difference between the two actually are.

One question: Is it the 'platinum series' that you have (#15660 twin pack) and I wonder how 'extreme white technology' above it, differs ('60/55' not 55/60)?

Can't thank you enough for what looks like might be a quick fix if I'm happy with what this single bulb will produce.

John

Old 02-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about that, I mistakenly reversed the numbers the one I use is the one that you refer to. If you can find a local speed shop, most of them carry the piaa line. (for obious reasons) The one in my area sells the bulbs single if I want. Don't be fooled by imitations at a cheaper price IMHO they look cool but do not do the job. They are spendy but well worth it. Post back if you do change and let others know about the huge differance, you won't be dissapointed. Yes I run the single bulb only.

Old 02-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Snowride:

Could you please take a look at my thread titled, "Is there a better headlight bulb for the Predator?"

Maybe you have some tips as the stock bulb seems to be a glass bulb mounted in a proprietory Polaris base.

Is there anything avaiable for the Predator?

Old 02-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to help you but I do not know the bulb base type used on the predator. If you tell me the type or give me a detailed description I will gladly point you in the right direction. If it's the proprietary Polaris type I have yet to come across anything worth dishing out the extra bucks for. Arctic Cat also uses the same type bulb in there sleds and I have searched to no end and have found zilch. I ended up machining custom bases (aluminum adapters) and now use a readily available 9007 piaa bulb in my sled. Three lights and three adapters can you say SUNSHINE.

Old 02-10-2003, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider

I promise to report back on this and can't thank you enough for your insight.

No need to reply, but I don't think you 'did' reverse the wattage numbers on the PIAA bulb. I'm assuming that you referred to 55/60 watt; P/N# 15660 twin pack (15060 single); 'Platinum Series' bulb as the one you use. I muddied the waters by trying to ask what the 'Extreme White' series was all about with a '60/55' watt designation(P/N# 15760). Or did I screw it up again!(lol). I'll call PIAA today and report back with the difference in case anybody's interested.

Thanks again.

John

Old 02-11-2003, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

PIAA P/N# 15760 'extreme white' H4 bulb (twin pack); $55

Installed/tested last night and a big old 'thanks' to snowrider for 'showing me the light'!

This should have been the first mod out of the showroom and any thoughts of front accessory lights or helmet lighting are gone.

The pure quality of the beam itself is probably muted somewhat by the relatively cheap housing/reflector; but you can literally not look at the front of the machone without being blinded. You really notice the difference when around reflective signs and tall railroad crossing gates as the pattern reaches out even farther than what appears straight ahead of you.

'Pod only' is more than sufficient for most conditions and it makes sense to leave the lowers alone for back-up. Local shop pricing above; normally $72.50 for two.

Thanks again, snowrider!

John

Old 02-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider

Im glad someone else has finally seen the light[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Your Welcome.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

I am not sure I understand here.

What do you mean by "pod only" and that you left the "lowers" for back up?

Did you get the PIAA lights to fit into your Predator headlight housings? If so, how?

Is there any chance the increase in heat will damage the lens?

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Light upgrade:Simple swap to xenon?