Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

whats better in handling 250r or predator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats better in handling 250r or predator?

I agree.....it makes no sense too compare a $25000 dollar quad too a $6000 one. BUT, if the Predator front end is as heavy as I READ, it really does'nt matter how a quad handles if you can't float the front end over obstacles or even whoops at high speed.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Stock for stock, DEFINATELY the Predator, no questions about it.
The 250R is a good handling well-mannered quad, which has had years of tinkering on how to improve it. Yes, the MX machines are still the one to beat, but what on them is stock? They are more stock than the 'stock' cars of NASCAR, but not by a whole lot. I mean seriously, ride a STOCK 250R, with the stock narrow axle & A-arms, then get on a Predator, and tell me which you would rather be on.
After modding the engine, and installing a new frame, suspension, axles, and tires, you really don't have the same machine anymore, in my mind (the MX 250Rs). The biggest advantages I can see are the light weight and 2 cycle engine of the R. A person that knows what they are doing can get amazing power out of one of them. The Predator actually, in my opinion has a better chassis out of the box, and by quite a margin. Modded, who knows. The R IS a thing of the past, because in the future, there will be no 2 cycle engines, at least not new ones. Thank you mr. Klinton.
Also, unless you ride on MX tracks, the best MX bike probably isn't the best choice, anyway. A buddy of mine was a class A motorcrosser, ran a modded 85 or 86 CR250R (yes, I am that old). That was the absolute worst machine to ride cross country I have ever been on, and I have ridden an XR80 before. Unmanagable power: either spun out, flipped over on you, or stalled when trail riding, combined with a suspension designed more to absorb a 20 foot jump than provide any comfort to the rider. We had a nickname for what riding that thing caused: Monkey Butt, because after a trail ride, the stiff suspension and massive vibration made you feel like you had a swollen purple butt like a baboon.

Old 02-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

I really like what is being said by most of the people responding and it sounds like a lot of yall really know what you're talking about (basically I'm kinda sick of people posting stupid crap). I REALLY like the Predators. I think they are the machine to buy at this time if you can't find an R. I have ridden the Predator and everything else extensively, and in my honest opinion, stock for stock or mod for mod- nothing can top any year TRX 250R. I will admitt that it is a VERY close race with the Predator and if you took into account comfort and power, the results may change, but as for handleing, I really feel that there will never be another stock quad to rival the stock 250r geometry. And it works excellent in any type of riding. It seems that people think that it is only great at MX. Wrong! The R's are excellent in any and all environments.