Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Trailblazer 400 mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Trailblazer 400 mod questions

I'm ready to start modding my TB 400. I'm going to have to do it a little at a time. Where should I start? What's the best way to shave weight? Do I need a clutch kit if I install a jet kit and high flow air box mod? Since this is only my second quad, the first one is a 2003 TB 250, I have a lot of questions. I greatly appreciate any replies! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-19-2003, 07:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

your best start would be an RCR Stage 1 Performance Kit. This Kit includes your choice of RCR pipe and silencer, clutching, carburetor jets, Hi-flow airbox mod kit with air filter. This is a package that works together, and is built for your riding style and conditions. It is $325 with free shipping. Rick from RCR is a top notch guy with top notch servive. He will answer any question you have. If you dont get the kit and buy seperately, you wont see all of the performance gains if you dont clutch it right. Hope this helps.

Old 03-19-2003, 07:39 PM
CED
Pro Rider

I'll second that RCR is the way to go.Later.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I like to get big air. Should I get a chain tensioner? What about the oil injection block off kit? Is that a good thing to install? Thanks for your replies!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you jump, a chain tensioner is a must. If you want big air you may want to look into some better shocks, like some Fox or works and maybe some triple rate springs. The oil injection blockoff kit will shave a lot of weight off. You could add nerfs and get rip of the floor boards. Add aluminum rims and bumper. You could also also drop in a Weisco, have it bored, ported, and polished. With the 400 2-strokes, the possibilities are endless.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I see no reason for the oil injection block off kit. The injection does not weigh hardly anything, It is very dependable, You dont have to worry about mixing the right amount of oil and fuel. So what is so posative about the block off kit? HMM the only thing I can think of is absolutely, posatively knowing that the oil injection wont fail because you dont have one! Now the oil injection is supposed to supply a certain amount of oil to the engine under different throttle positions. This way you dont get fouled plugs. Without the injection you get the same amount of oil no matter if you cruise at a slow speed or all out racing. Cruising in the woods at slow to medium speeds I would think that you would foul plugs real easy because you cant burn the excess oil fast enough. You cant lighten the mix because at fast speeds it wont supply enough oil and you can lock the motor up. So why risk all the trouble. Just go with what has been working for years and years. Not what people say this is what I mix it, and this is the ratio that I use!!! What works for some might not work for others. I understand the bikes that are highly moded and not used to ride on the trails. If you have an all out race mod and dont mind the mixing and changing the plugs more often then have at it. But if you like to ride the trails, some racing here and there, hill climbing or just riding around the roads then i would not recomend the block off kit. I know I am going to hear some people chime in on this but I just dont see the reason for it. There are to many negatives over the posatives on the block off kit.

Old 03-19-2003, 11:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The oil injection tank, when full, is over 11 lbs up front. A very inexpensive diet for the machine. Plus there's more room up front to relocate that battery....or get the WB battery eliminator kit, more wt savings. For engine mods, probably stick with HPD, or RCR. I have a fully modded airbox w/ K&N and outerwear in the shop, PM me if interested. Take some time, sit down, make sure you want to go the trail-mod route, or the race-mod route. If you're gonna go race mod in the future, it's cheaper to start there, than switch later. Get yourself the clutching book from Aaen, and study up. Also get yourself some clutch pullers, alignment tools. (HPD, Hot Seat, Aaen, RCR) should all handle them. Making sure the belt is aligned properly can be one of your best performance gains. If you do go with a billet head/dome, make sure it's the HPD unit, those o-rings allow better contact for heat transfer than any gasketed dome.