Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

major problem with my predator!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major problem with my predator!!!!

no i didn't make it. like you said i heard it was plain aggrivating trying to just get in the dunes cause so many people were there!

you should come on down to atoka this friday evening for some test and tuning, big avt race saturday, lots of money to win. i hope to have my predator together for it.

i talked to the guys at the polaris shop about my re-occuring 4th gear problem, they said they will take it up with the warrenty department, so we will see what happens.

turbo bobby

Old 09-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

thats good i hope they fix it. i orded a high compression piston for mine from hpdlike i really need it. i dont want to get to crazy with it need to ride the trails to. what day is the sand drags going on sat. or sunday. and what time. pm your cell phone if you dont mind. well see ya.

Old 10-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

well i have the predator going again. I had to replace 3rd gear drive and 4th gear drive and the main shift fork. a new headgasket a tube of polaris case sealant all for the nice price of 200 dollars. i plan to talk to the service manager about polaris picking up my bill since it was a repeat problem.
i decided to tear it down myself to figure out what was causing the problem, after all, it happen 2 times no need to let the shop fix it cause it more than likely would break again.
after tearing it down and looking over everything really good, i found that the shift fork was bent and the 3 dogs that engage in the other gear were rounded on the ends.
when i got my new gears and shift fork i reassembled the transmission and noticed that when i shifted the trans into 4th....the gears were only engaging by about 60%. so i disassembled the trans and looked at how i could make the gears engage more. there is a clip and a splined washer then the gear and then another washer. so i decided that moving both washers to the backside of the gear would move the gear closer to the other that engages to it. doing this helped the 4th gear to engage to 90%. and it works GREAT, and no more missed shifts into 4th!

so there is what i did to fix my own problem with a great machine.

give this a try ----> next time your cruising on your predator in 4th gear, while your on the gas try shifting it to 5th without pulling in the clutch. if it will jump into 5th then chances are your transmission is like mine was. mine used to do this. after shimming the 4th gear drive it will not shift with out pulling in the clutch or letting off the gas

turbo bobby

Old 10-05-2003, 01:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Bobby, it's great that you found the fix. Now this is just my opinion, but if you're gonna speed shift, you're probably gonna be breaking some parts. I know there are many machines out there which have survived many years of repeated speed shifting. If Polaris foots the bill, great, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if they don't......after all, the engineer who put the clutch lever up there, kinda wants us to use it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] As time goes on, and there's demand, someone will provide some updates.

Old 10-05-2003, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

bobby, did they give you the new gears they have for 2004?

Old 10-05-2003, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

no i got the exact replacement parts for the 03.

i asked the parts manager about the 04 gears, he didn't know but he is going to look into it.

i raced it all afternoon today, i only missed one gear shift, it was 2nd going into 3rd, was on a wheelie and didn't get it all the way shifted.
the trans works great, never missed 4th once.

turbo bobby